5 Replies Latest reply: Jul 8, 2013 3:50 PM by EdStevens RSS

mounting VBox Guest Additions cdrom image on OL 6

EdStevens

[root@vblnxsrv02 /]# uname -a

Linux vblnxsrv02.vbdomain 2.6.39-200.24.1.el6uek.x86_64 #1 SMP Sat Jun 23 02:39:07 EDT 2012 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

[root@vblnxsrv02 /]#

Thought I'd give a whirl with Oracle 12g, so started with creating an OL 6 machine under VirtualBox.  Running into a string of issues where OL 6 isn't behaving like OL 5.  Here's my current issue.

Trying to install the VBox Guest Additions.  On the VBox console window, selected "Devices" and "Install Guest Additions".  That should cause a cd image to be mounted in the virtual cd drive, and a check of the VBox manager Virtual Media Manager shows VBoxGuestAdditions.iso is attached to my OL6 server.

I have created the directory to which I will mount the cd-rom

[

root@vblnxsrv02 /]# pwd

/

[root@vblnxsrv02 /]# ls -l /media/cdrom

total 0

[root@vblnxsrv02 /]#

But when I try to mount it, using the same simple 'mount' command I use with OL 5:

[root@vblnxsrv02 /]# mount /dev/cdrom /media/cdrom

mount: you must specify the filesystem type

[root@vblnxsrv02 /]#

Poking around with google there were several places that suggested specifying the iso9660 file system.  So ...

[root@vblnxsrv02 /]# mount -t iso9660 /dev/cdrom /media/cdrom

mount: block device /dev/sr0 is write-protected, mounting read-only

mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sr0,

missing codepage or helper program, or other error

In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try

dmesg | tail  or so

[root@vblnxsrv02 /]#

Ideas?

• 1. Re: mounting VBox Guest Additions cdrom image on OL 6
          Catch 22

You do not need to specify the file system with the mount command. The mount command will detect common file systems automatically. If I remember correctly I ran into the same issue and the solution was simpy to keep tyring a couple of times. Perhaps some issue with internal caching or loading the built-in guest additions media.

• 2. Re: mounting VBox Guest Additions cdrom image on OL 6
            EdStevens

Dude wrote:

You do not need to specify the file system with the mount command. The mount command will detect common file systems automatically. If I remember correctly I ran into the same issue and the solution was simpy to keep tyring a couple of times. Perhaps some issue with internal caching or loading the built-in guest additions media.

No joy.   In the below, the datestamp is actually part of my prompt, so the time shown immediately after a command is the time the command completed.  Which for our purposes is also the time the command was issued.

2013-07-08 11:25:56

root:$ mount /dev/cdrom /media/cdrom

2013-07-08 11:26:05

root:$  mount /dev/cdrom /media/cdrom

2013-07-08 13:21:10

root:$

The vm was up for almost two hours between issuing the mount commands ....

• 3. Re: mounting VBox Guest Additions cdrom image on OL 6
              Catch 22

When you issue the mount command without any parameters, does it perhaps show that the device is already mounted (/dev/sr0) ? Do you have KDE or Gnome and a login session running? Gnome automount will automatically mount the media when you select the Guest addtions from the VM menu, which might interfere with your attempt to mount the media as root, although I think the error message is different.

Otherwise, the guest additions disk image packed in your VirtualBox application might be corrupt. You can try to downoad it from (depending on your version)  http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/4.2.10/VBoxGuestAdditions_4.2.10.iso to see if it makes any difference. If yes, I suggest to reinstall VirtualBox or try the VirtualBox forum.

• 4. Re: mounting VBox Guest Additions cdrom image on OL 6
                EdStevens

Dude wrote:

When you issue the mount command without any parameters, does it perhaps show that the device is already mounted (/dev/sr0) ? Do you have KDE or Gnome and a login session running? Gnome automount will automatically mount the media when you select the Guest addtions from the VM menu, which might interfere with your attempt to mount the media as root, although I think the error message is different.

Otherwise, the guest additions disk image packed in your VirtualBox application might be corrupt. You can try to downoad it from (depending on your version)  http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/4.2.10/VBoxGuestAdditions_4.2.10.iso to see if it makes any difference. If yes, I suggest to reinstall VirtualBox or try the VirtualBox forum.

No clicky-click desktops.  Working from a simple ssh session using putty.  What you see is what I see.

I was beginning to wonder about a possible corruption.  I'll check that out.

• 5. Re: mounting VBox Guest Additions cdrom image on OL 6
                  EdStevens

Dude wrote:

downloaded the Guest Additions iso file, and it mounted just fine.  Leaves me wondering how the existing file went corrupt, but I've got other fish to fry ..