1 Reply Latest reply: Jul 8, 2013 5:05 PM by Tom B RSS

Server Affinity vs. Load Balancing

Bob

Hi All,

Could someone please clarify difference between Server Affinity Enabled and Load Balancing Enabled for a distributed env.

If we post bulk message to a distributed Queue, which will parameter will govern, if it gets distributed to all JMS Server evenly or goes to only one JMS server and in case of only one JMS Server, in which server all messages will go.

I referred public document - http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E15523_01/apirefs.1111/e13952/taskhelp/jms_modules/connection_factories/ConfigureLoadBalancingParams.html

but i am not able to clarify my doubts.

For a high volume environment what is preferable, messages getting distributed evenly to all JMS Servers or all messages going randomly to only one JMS Server?

Thanks,

Vishal

• 1. Re: Server Affinity vs. Load Balancing
          Tom B

If you have a heavy messaging load, and find that your messages are accumulating unevenly across a distributed destination, then one possible solution may be to set "affinity" to false and "load balance" to true on your producer connection factory. 

There's detailed documentation about the producer load balancing algorithm in the Load Balancing Messages Across a Distributed Destination section of the JMS configuration guide's "advanced" chapter.  See  Configuring Advanced JMS System Resources - 11g Release 1 (10.3.6).    Also, I think the JMS chapter of the book "Professional WebLogic" has a fairly nice treatment of WL JMS load balancing in general.

Hope this helps,

Tom