This discussion is archived
7 Replies Latest reply: Jul 9, 2013 10:05 PM by 975148 RSS

Does time on Linux server change over time

975148 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

I have a query that does it happen that the time on a Linux server or any server for that matter can change over time? I mean, for example, would it be that the time changes over a 1 year period. If it is a fact that time on a Linux server changes over time, then the NTP server would need to be configured.

I hope my question is clear that does the time on a Linux server change over time.

Please revert with the reply to my query.

Regards

• 1. Re: Does time on Linux server change over time
    RCC Journeyer

Yes time will skew or change on just about any normal hardware/OS combination.  Some are more susceptible to clock skew such as virtual servers and other factors may apply as well. I had a SQL Server database that would skew up to 10 minutes a day until we got a bug fix applied from Microsoft.  You should configure the NTP client appropriately if time accuracy is important to you.  A google search on this topic will bring back some good reading material.  Try "clock skew" or "clock drift".

• 2. Re: Does time on Linux server change over time
    Dude! Guru

The power for the CMOS clock of a PC system is usually a small battery (Ni-Cad rechargeable) installed on the motherboard. If the battery is failing, so will you clock and BIOS settings. It all depends on your hardware. A $10 watch is often a more expensive timepiece than the clock in a PC Desktop system. The actual time being displayed may not even be the same time as your PC clock and its accuracy is limited by the stability of the interrupt requests.

• 3. Re: Does time on Linux server change over time
    975148 Newbie

Thanks for your answer. I had a query that what if the NTP server itself has a time drift, the time on the dependent NTP clients would also drift.

I hope my query is clear that how to handle a situation that the time on the NTP server itself drifts.

Regards

• 4. Re: Does time on Linux server change over time
    rukbat Guru Moderator

A NTP server is just another computer.   If it isn't configured properly it will also have a drift.   But a  properly configured NTP server synchronizes with one of the high level strata sources.

You could have learned that information all by yourself with a little Google or Wikipedia searching.

• 5. Re: Does time on Linux server change over time
    975148 Newbie

Thanks for your inputs. I did Google for it but did not find relevant information. Request you to please send me relevant links from the internet.

• 6. Re: Does time on Linux server change over time
    rukbat Guru Moderator

975148 wrote:

Thanks for your inputs. I did Google for it but did not find relevant information. Request you to please send me relevant links from the internet.

I already did.   There is a link embedded in my comments in my earlier post.

If you cannot see that, or if you cannot learn from the information in that link, then that explains why you posted this inquiry to begin with.

Learn to research information for yourself.  Do not expect others to spoonfeed you.

But ...

If you really need links, go to Google and search on "NTP".   I'm sure you'll eventually find what you need after reading from the the 19.7 million search results.

• 7. Re: Does time on Linux server change over time
    975148 Newbie

I may not be a expert like you on Linux and that is the reason why I ask questions. Moreover, I do not agree with your reply.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points