This discussion is archived
4 Replies Latest reply: Nov 1, 2013 8:02 AM by user10953153 RSS

Launch Console fails: the vnc viewer is not installed on the manager server and no local vnc viewer is found.

Klaas-Oracle Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

Hello,

I have created and started a VM image and try to configure this image, but when launching the console I get the error:

"the vnc viewer is not installed on the manager server and no local vnc viewer is found."

I've read the vnc console does not rely on a local version of the vnc client, but uses the java vnc.  From the java log I get:

Java Web Start 1.6.0_43

Using JRE version 1.6.0_43-b01 Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM

User home directory = C:\Users\kgraaf

----------------------------------------------------

28-jun-2013 10:17:04 com.oracle.ovm.ras.proxy.RasProxyApplet main

INFO: ServiceType : VNC

28-jun-2013 10:17:04 com.oracle.ovm.ras.proxy.external.ViewerLauncherFactory getViewerLauncher

INFO: Os is : windows 7

It is not clear to me yet what is expected to be running where. My configuration is:

- VM Server 3.1 on Linux host A

- VM Manager 3.1 on Linux host B

- Connected via Windows 7 64-bit client via a browser to the Management Server. Let's call this host C

When launching the console it tries to connect to 127.0.0.1:60505 so to localhost and a port#.

- Given this information I would expect it tries to launch the vncviewer from my management server (host B).

- /usr/bin/vncviewer is installed on host B, but this appears not to be used.

- We see java vnc is started on my Windows 7 client (host C) and it tries to connect to 127.0.0.1 (localhost on my Windows client??) and not to the remote management server (host B)!?

Questions:

1 - Can someone explain what exactly is being executed (from where and to which host) when launching the console?

2 - Is this a java version / Windows 7 related configuration issue? How to fix this?

Thanks,

Klaas.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points