This discussion is archived
1 2 Previous Next 18 Replies Latest reply: Jul 15, 2013 6:58 AM by 2889 RSS

Old Forums vs New forums

Subramanian Meyyappan Expert
Currently Being Moderated

Hi Folks,

After a long period i'm here. when i saw the forum site, it's quite wonderful. Doesn't seems to be OTN forums, it seems to be like Social network like twitter. But i'm quite stuck with Otn forum thread creation/option and so. for a few days i'm watching what's going. how they people going. and i need to study all those stuff how to create, how to respond.

But, i felt that old Otn forum quite easy for me when i'm a new bie. i didn't study anything just like that i go with that otn forums.

Easily/without any guidance/and so on., here I'm with my Own views.

But I thank to Oracle Community For this Big Effort. I hope that i may  take time to adopt this.

I have a question.

1.Why oracle community changed as point system like number of post basis. I felt good with that old system.

2.Quite uploading of videos/document quite useful for people who are all using effectively. but in another hand some of the person may not use this properly upload some abuse videos means difficult to handle.manage threads. i hope?

I cant able to found out any of thread or else poll for voting old forums vs new forums usage. Please post if there any thread related.

Thanks & Regards

Subramanian Meyyappan.

• 1. Re: Old Forums vs New forums
    Timo Hahn Oracle ACE

Subramanian,

1) the point system migration went wrong at some point and gets fixed in the future. You don't get points just for posting, but only for answers the original op marks as helpful or correct. There is the new like button below each post of the thread where everyone can show that he/she like the answer but you don't get points for this (AFAIK).

2) right now it's not possible to upload images, videos or any other file to the forum directly. There is a big security liability once this is allowed and I (as many others) don't like the idea to make such upload possible. However, I agree that there is some appealing usage of such a feature. Right now I can live with uploading files to any public file hoster server and publishing the link here in the new 'space'.

Timo

Message was edited by: TimoHahn Right now there is no poll available which lets you vote the old vs. the new forum.

• 2. Re: Old Forums vs New forums

>now there is no poll available which lets you vote the old vs. the new forum.

Who can Create may I? i check it out i can't. I vote it for Old.

• 3. Re: Old Forums vs New forums

Hi Timo,

Who can create a poll?. is there any poll available on my topics. if so please let me know.

• 4. Re: Old Forums vs New forums
    BillyVerreynne Oracle ACE

SubramanianMeyyappan wrote:

The old forum s/w was on its last legs. Lots were broken. Simple things like being able to see from your watches, new updates. Like searching. It was old and dated s/w.

OTN's size is continually increasing. The old s/w could not support the growth. More and more features had to be disabled,  in order to sill provide performance and support very basic forum functionality.

So no, there is no option to go back to the old s/w. It would be just plain stupid - as that will guarantee a total OTN failure in future with old s/w being unable to effectively support OTN size and volume.

Is the new s/w perfect? No. As with most upgrades, there are things that work differently, things that does not seem to work correctly, things that seem to be broken, and things that seems weird. One can either complain about it (and be called a whining wuss by an old f.rt), or go through the learning curve in order to understand all the new things, and constructively engage OTN staff by reporting broken things.

• 5. Re: Old Forums vs New forums
    EdStevens Guru

SubramanianMeyyappan wrote:

You want to create a poll to vote on old forum vs. new forum?

To what end?  You think Oracle is going to revert back to the old forum based on a poll?

• 6. Re: Old Forums vs New forums

You want to create a poll to vote on old forum vs. new forum?

yes.

To what end?  You think Oracle is going to revert back to the old forum based on a poll?

I'm n't saying like that 'revert'. Just a survey.

But i'm saying how much people liked/interested or unliked/uninterested(in-sense somewhat  pretty difficult, if a new bie came into this area for resolving his problem he/she may feel difficult in first time my team mates and most of the forum user whomever i asked say same reason. )

But i wanna to thank oracle people for the great effort.

• 7. Re: Old Forums vs New forums
    Dude! Guru

I think an old vs. new forum thread will add fuel to the fire and provide only very limited help to accept or get along with the current situation or new forum software. It's apparently too late to appreciate past experience. Such discussions to my experience also typically end up in topics that have nothing to do with the actual thread subject. The level to which past experience or user wishes are realized fully depends on the OTN management or whoever pulls the strings in the back, but they do not show much of a presence here.

For what it's worth, if you are interested to learn about some of the new features, perhaps you find the following useful:

Tracking and Following in a Nutshell (Guide)

• 8. Re: Old Forums vs New forums
    jgarry Guru

It could be a very skewed poll if many people have left, either permanently or until things settle down.

• 9. Re: Old Forums vs New forums
    Dude! Guru

Since you mention it... I was wondering too if there is some sort of a silly or slow news season. Some forums, beside this one, seem to be quieter than normal. Maybe when Oracle fixes the point system (if they can), people will return

• 10. Re: Old Forums vs New forums
    jgarry Guru

There used to be some noticeable increase when school started in the fall, but with this forum being worldwide and so much balkanization with other social media sites, I don't know if that is to be expected any more.  Might have something to do with summer vacations (in this hemisphere, anyways), 12c, viral Amazon.com: Hutzler 571 Banana Slicer: Kitchen & Dining comments... who knows?

• 11. Re: Old Forums vs New forums
    Dude! Guru

FWIW: German Coast guard trainee

Though I hope the OTN forum is not sinking.

• 12. Re: Old Forums vs New forums
    gimbal2 Guru

Dude wrote:

Since you mention it... I was wondering too if there is some sort of a silly or slow news season. Some forums, beside this one, seem to be quieter than normal. Maybe when Oracle fixes the point system (if they can), people will return

If points are so important to people that it determines if they utilize a forum or not, I don't want to live on this planet anymore. You'd be a dog that only gets up if you get a treat for it.

• 13. Re: Old Forums vs New forums
    Dude! Guru

gimbal2 wrote:

Dude wrote:

If points are so important to people that it determines if they utilize a forum or not, I don't want to live on this planet anymore. You'd be a dog that only gets up if you get a treat for it.

Some people could be reluctant or afraid to use the forum until the situation with points has been cleared. The value or perception of these points and reward systems lies obviously in eyes or mind of the individual person.

Regarding your comment. Some people are apparently egocentric and unable to provide even a minimum level of courtesy or willingness to help others. I am not aware of any culture or even religion that worships the principles of receiving without giving. There is no such thing as free lunch in a business world. Computers and Oracle are a business. However, points are a matter of courtesy and good manners, also mentioned in the forum etiquette, and are free. Assigning points does not cost anything except giving received help some thought.

• 14. Re: Old Forums vs New forums

Hi folks,

Atlast you people saying there is no need to create a poll such kind. that 's ok.

1 2 Previous Next

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points