This discussion is archived
1 2 Previous Next 21 Replies Latest reply: Jul 10, 2013 12:53 PM by BillyVerreynne RSS

Suggestion to make unanswered threads part of the username handle

Dude! Guru
Currently Being Moderated

I guess most forum members who troubleshoot and solve problems will agree that discussions without feedback from the original poster are annoying. I think it is a matter of courtesy to assign points and mark questions as answered. If a question is indeed unanswered, it is still possible to mark a question as answered with a statement that the question was not resolved or abandoned, or maybe the OP found another solution. Unfortunately, people often get away with a bad behavior and lack of feedback simply because it is difficult for any newcomer to recognize.

How about if the number of unanswered questions becomes part of the username, for instance if they go over a certain threshold like 20? So someone with 255 unanswered questions could appear as e.g. Dude (255). I think this would certainly set an intensive for people to provide feedback. I understand that Jive may not have such an option, but perhaps it could be implemented in the future. Member statistics like they existed in the previous forum software apparently do not exist in the current software anymore.

Update:

Dude (255) was just an example of how a username might appear if I had 255 unanswered questions. It does not mean that "dude" should be anywhere in the judgement. For instance if loser JoeShmoe has 1000 unansered questions, it could be shown as JoeShmoe (1000). It's the system that determines the threads left unanswered, not my judegment. It does not necessarily have to be shown like that and any other way will do as long as it is easy to notice.

• 1. Re: Suggestion to make unanswered threads part of the username handle
    jgarry Guru

Trying to control behavior in this way is a  trick that never works

• 2. Re: Suggestion to make unanswered threads part of the username handle
    Dude! Guru

I does not necessarily have to be part of the username, but should be somewhere easy to notice.

It may not directly change the behavior of the OP who does not care, but it does not have to. It would change my behavior, such as not responding. Assuming that other users think the same way I do, affected posters may or will hopefully change their strategy, but at least they don't make it my problem.

• 3. Re: Suggestion to make unanswered threads part of the username handle
    BillyVerreynne Oracle ACE

There are far more important issues to resolve IMO - like fixing syntax highlighting for supporting empty lines and fixed fonts. Or fixing existing enabled features (I still cannot edit my profile). Or fixing the annoying ah-hoc OTN logout (due to some invisible back-end error). Etc.

Besides, whether a user responds or not with feedback... that is, and never has been an issue IMO.

• 4. Re: Suggestion to make unanswered threads part of the username handle

Dude wrote:

It may not directly change the behavior of the OP who does not care, but it does not have to. It would change my behavior, such as not responding.

So you want a Is-poster-worthy-being-responded-to-by-Dude?

And you do not see a problem with that?

• 5. Re: Suggestion to make unanswered threads part of the username handle
    Karthick_Arp Guru

My responses to a post are not affected by the quality of feed back that a OP leave (But always a "It works or Will check it out" helps), but rather by the quality of question the OP asks.

The detailing that the OP offers in his post, like mentioning the db version, offering a detail explanation of the problem, posting the necessary code (with proper format) encourages me to answer a question. And always the posts that makes you think and gain some knowledge will be appreciated even if there is no feed back from the OP about our response.

• 6. Re: Suggestion to make unanswered threads part of the username handle
    Dude! Guru

BillyVerreynne wrote:

Dude wrote:

It may not directly change the behavior of the OP who does not care, but it does not have to. It would change my behavior, such as not responding.

I'm not sure what you mean, but yes, I would not mind some information that helps me to determine whether a poster is even worth receiving a response in my opinion. Nothing prevents you or anyone from responding to any posts if you wish.

Some people are apparently totally egocentric and unable to provide even a minimum level of courtesy. I don't see any good reason to continue to help anyone who continues to demonstrate a bad behavior ignoring principles of courtesy, common sense and the forum ettiquete.

If that is not an issue with you, does not necessarily mean it is not an issue or should not  be an issue for anyone else. Sure there are other more pressing issues that should be addressed with the new forum software, as you mentioned in your previous response, but nevertheless, I see nothing wrong with making a suggestion.

• 7. Re: Suggestion to make unanswered threads part of the username handle
    gimbal2 Guru

Seems to me like you want an ignore list

• 8. Re: Suggestion to make unanswered threads part of the username handle
    Dude! Guru

Not really. Just some information that makes it easier for anyone to determine the possible level of appreciation or cooperation that can be expected for a given response, which can be quite an effort at times.

• 9. Re: Suggestion to make unanswered threads part of the username handle

Determine the "level of appreciation"?!

In other words a who-is-worthy-of-Dude-responding-to-them feature?

• 10. Re: Suggestion to make unanswered threads part of the username handle
    gimbal2 Guru

Yeah basically you need two forums nowadays - one for people who still appreciate common courtesy (generally an older generation) and proper usage of language, and those for the Smartphone/Facebook generation who replace social interaction with like buttons, emoticons and MSN/l33t speak and replace research with copying off of youtube videos.

Then you can choose not to mingle in the latter. Not having that - you have the choice of just rolling with it, or getting a high blood pressure :/ They're already here dude, notice the like button that has appeared.

• 11. Re: Suggestion to make unanswered threads part of the username handle
    Dude! Guru

BillyVerreynne wrote:

Dude wrote:

I was wondering if you perhaps misunderstood.

Dude (255) was just an example of how a username might appear if I had 255 unanswered questions. It does not mean that "dude" should be anywhere in the judgement. For instance if loser JoeShmoe has 1000 unansered questions, it could be shown as JoeShmoe (1000). It's the system that determines the threads left unanswered, not my judegment. But like I said, it does not have to be shown like that and any other way will do as long as it is easy to notice.

• 12. Re: Suggestion to make unanswered threads part of the username handle

Not sure I agree with the old versus new slant.

Been participating in forums like these (called echo's back then), prior to World Wide Web. And back then the important thing was things like having nice juicy interesting questions, questions that are clearly and well stated, and so on. How To Ask Questions The Smart Way goes into detail of what a smart/good question is.

There were no points back then. No rewards like an Ace logo or guru badge. No insistence that posters need to stroke the egos of those who assisted them.

The rewards were being able to sink one's teeth into interesting problems. Bettering one's own kung fu skills in that technology/subject matter on issues that one seldom encounter in one's own environment. And gaining the respect of one's peers in that forum at being able to accurately diagnose problems and providing sound and robust solutions.

The points and "common courtesy" issues only came about in more recent time with the newer generation that deems issues like political correctness important, and have arbitrary rules as to what they consider polite and acceptable behaviour (we are all new age friends in this global village!).

• 13. Re: Suggestion to make unanswered threads part of the username handle
    gimbal2 Guru

BillyVerreynne wrote:

There were no points back then. No rewards like an Ace logo or guru badge. No insistence that posters need to stroke the egos of those who assisted them.

Good times indeed.

I'm not going to go in discussion with you about this because it is just off-topic and borders a little too much on presenting a personal observation as fact (in general, not aimed specifically at either of us). Lets just say that I believe we're both correct in some way

• 14. Re: Suggestion to make unanswered threads part of the username handle
    Dude! Guru

I do not think that we need two forums to separate protocols of behavior between different generations of people or which device they use. Or is there anyone who does not appreciate common courtesy or proper use of language? It's not about the Like button or the convenience or shortcut of pressing any button for that matter.

What I am suggesting is simply to provide unbiased system generated information, that allows or helps to make an own judgement or conclusion. People can still manage their discussions or respond the way they prefer, but there may be consequences. It's like the information of side-affects when you read the description of drugs.

Some people may promote that there is no more privacy or say it is ok to steal the money of others, but that does not make it legitimate. Free speech and liberty can be abused or compromised by economic, business or opportunistic reasons, but that does mean its accepted, at least not in my opinion.

P.S. Thank you for considering the discussion about the reward system off-topic, which it is.

1 2 Previous Next