This discussion is archived
2 Replies Latest reply: Jul 11, 2013 2:32 AM by rukbat RSS

Data center migration

e377bd5a-262a-42d9-a60c-6d6367db9eb8 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

I hope this forum is "general" enough for this question. I figure most people here have experienced this issue in one way or another.

We are migrating our data center and we are concerned about our Linux servers with relative data.

Our goal is to move the server as smooth as possible to the new location, which is only about 200 yards around the corner, but there are bumps, door entries, rough sidewalks, etc.

Does anybody on here have some best practices regarding server transportation he or she would be willing to share?

Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Data center migration
    Dude! Guru

There is nothing Linux or operating system specific in regard to the physical transportation of computer hardware. I suggest to contact a professional moving company, which may rent you some equipment and give you tips in case you want to do the move yourself. Depending on how bumpy the move of your hardware is going to be it might be a good idea to move hard drives separately and to check and eventually reseat internal computer peripheral after the move. Faulty computer power supplies typically break when being switched off and on again.

• 2. Re: Data center migration
    rukbat Guru Moderator

Moderator Comment and Action:

You posted to an OS-specific forum space.

Your question has absolutely nothing to do with an OS issue.

Thus your post is outside the scope of this forum space, and is locked.

In many circumstances, it could qualify for deletion, same as spam (but I'm in a good mood so it just gets locked).

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points