4 Replies Latest reply: Jul 11, 2013 6:10 AM by rukbat RSS

Backup root disks

Hi all!

Please I would appreciate some inputs on the following:

I have inherited a SUN BLADE chassis with 6 T6320 server modules, in which there is only 1 root disk in all of them. I need to do a backup of the root disk in case those disk crash. But there is no backup device attached to it. So please can I have some ideas how to solve this problem.  Edit/Delete Message

• 1. Re: Backup root disks

You can backup the root filesystem to a file using "ufsdump 0uf /path-to-file /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s0" after going to single user mode. You can use that file to restore the UFS root file system in case of HDD outage.

• 2. Re: Backup root disks

Ok, but if I loose the output of ufsdump command I will loose the backup copy as well... I can put it on another server, but how to restore it

• 3. Re: Backup root disks

Of course you need to put the dump in another server as in case of outage you will loose the backup too. You can put it to a removable media but I am not 100% sure if the ufsrestore will work when you restore the root UFS as you have to boot from Solaris 10 DVD in single-user mode and mount it to access the dump.

You may check also this thread:

It seems that it is possible to mount the USB drive when in single user mode. Hope it helps.

• 4. Re: Backup root disks

Moderator Comment and Action:

You cross-posted this same inquiry to at least one other forum web site:

... and failed to mention that fact.

Good forum etiquette would have you at least paste a URL to your other post(s) so that people wouldn't waste their time posting a reply that is the same as what you've been told elsewhere.   That same forum etiquette of a pasted link also gives people the opportunity to (perhaps) learn from the responses you might get on the other forum web site.

Poor etiquette gets posts locked.