This discussion is archived
5 Replies Latest reply: Jul 11, 2013 11:52 AM by Imix RSS

mobile server licensing

Imix Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

i have a client that is looking to run Database Lite Mobile Server in a 11gr2 standard edition one setup. As the database in standard edition one the core multiplier does not apply and we can run on mutli core chip for cost of 1 cpu. Does any one know if mobile server is license per core or per cpu?

thanks

lm

• 1. Re: mobile server licensing
    gambro2 Newbie

I was told by our Oracle sales rep that Mobileserver is licensed by core and not by cpu/socket.

I would recommend installing Mobileserver and the database on different environments if you're running into budget issues ;-)

//Christian

• 2. Re: mobile server licensing
    userBDBDMS Guru Moderator

you will generally need license for Oracle database, Database Mobile Server,  an application server, and the client database.  there are open source options for several of these so it needs to get looked at on a case by case basis.  Licensing done per core.  The best approach is to get in contact with someone from Oracle sales.  I can assist with that if you are interested in moving forward.

thanks

mike

• 3. Re: mobile server licensing
    Imix Newbie

thanks guys

my client already has licenses for mobile, app server, database and clients we are looking at moving their environment to newer better hardware. As the database and app server licenses are standard edition one we are looking at using single multicore cpu servers. however if mobile licensing is done per core that may mean we have to put that on a separate server or use oracleVM to split the physical server into parts, rather than buy more mobile licenses

thanks

lm

• 4. Re: mobile server licensing
    userBDBDMS Guru Moderator

If you already have a license for mobile, then they usually come with upgrade options.   What version of Mobile is your client on now and what version do they want to go to?    This is sounding complicated enough that getting someone involved from Oracle sales would be useful here.    Oracle sales can research the current license agreements, and look at the different options for going forward.

thanks

mike

• 5. Re: mobile server licensing
    Imix Newbie

thanks Mike

I agree I think it best I scope a few options and get our oracle sales rep to give feedback. I was just trying to get an idea on the per cpu /per core issues.

customer is on mobile version 10gr3. my preference is that they move to 11g for support and new feature reason,  although this mean extra work in proving the solution

thanks for you help

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points