1 2 Previous Next 18 Replies Latest reply: Jul 11, 2013 12:19 PM by jgarry RSS

How can I stop automatic RMAN database backups?

Hi Forum

These backups were configured when the database was installed.

They run at 2am daily and cycle out.

I don't want them to run any longer and want to remove them - do I do this through RMAN? I am not sure as to how to stop them running.

Thank you    

• 1. Re: How can I stop automatic RMAN database backups?
          sb92075

972657 wrote:

Hi Forum

These backups were configured when the database was installed.

They run at 2am daily and cycle out.

I don't want them to run any longer and want to remove them - do I do this through RMAN? I am not sure as to how to stop them running.

Thank you   

Neither are we sure since RMAN does not have any inherent scheduling capability.

I suspect some sort of OS script that is externally scheduled & run.

What is OS name &  version?

How do I ask a question on the forums?

https://forums.oracle.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=2174552#9360002

• 2. Re: How can I stop automatic RMAN database backups?

RedHat Enterprise Linux 6
            I did initially think that it was CRON but the oracle user does not have permission to use CRON

This was set up when the database was created (DBCA I beleive) and when prompted for automatic backups - YES was answered
            So I suppose its whereever DBCA contols auto backups

Thanks for th reply

• 3. Re: How can I stop automatic RMAN database backups?
              sb92075

972657 wrote:

I did initially think that it was CRON but the oracle user does not have permission to use CRON

This was set up when the database was created (DBCA I beleive) and when prompted for automatic backups - YES was answered

Thanks for th reply

I have NEVER been prompted by DBCA regarding automatic backups.

I suspect that you are seriously misguided, confused & lacking requisite knowledge & experience.

post complete results from following  SQL

SELECT * FROM V$VERSION;

• 4. Re: How can I stop automatic RMAN database backups?

Listen

Not sure why you want to be rude - I am asking a question and you are answering in a seriously condescending manner

If you would care to take a look at this note that I have

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/B19306_01/install.102/b14201/dbcacrea.htm

You will see that " If you use ASM or cluster file system storage, then DBCA also configures automated backup, which uses the flash recovery area"

Since these are controlled by RMAN, I posted the RMAN question.

If you do not have the neccessary knowledge to help may I suggest you don't post?

• 5. Re: How can I stop automatic RMAN database backups?

Would like to add, I used this forum with the hope in engaging with a professional to help me out.

I am relatively new to the world of Oracle - this is true, but if all you so called "guru's" can do is to talk down to newbies than this forum clearly is not the place for me to be.

Hope you now feel big, clever and smug with yourself

• 6. Re: How can I stop automatic RMAN database backups?
                    EdStevens

972657 wrote:

Thanks for th reply

query DBA_SCHEDULER_JOBS

• 7. Re: How can I stop automatic RMAN database backups?
                      Gamblesk

Check in Enteprise Manager/Grid Control?

• 8. Re: How can I stop automatic RMAN database backups?
                        sybrand_b

The problem with newbies is

• They never read installation screens. In your case you didn't pay attention you enabled database control and enabled the backup in database control
                        • They never provide a four digit database version
                        • They never perform platform info
                        • They never use Google, nor read documentation, nor search this forum.

If you would know how many questions here are of the Read The Fabulous Manual Type (more than 90 percent) you might be aware professionals get sick and tired of answering the same questions over and over again, and basically doing someone's work for free.

-------------

Sybrand Bakker

Senior Oracle DBA

• 9. Re: How can I stop automatic RMAN database backups?

This has been an interesting visit to forum land

Just for the record.

I inherited this system - I was not part of the initial install

I didnt provide any information as this seemed like a pretty generic question to me - and is not platform specific

I did search around and could not find anything that i needed - probably as I clearly was unsure as to what question to ask. This I apologise for.

As for the reaction - hey, simple for you.

Don't answer queries if you don't want to - and get your head our of your arse. This is all a volunteer system from what I can gather.

No need to start acting like a sanctimonious twit.

Thanks to those who have made an effort to assist me - and a big raspberry to the village idiots who have not.

Simmer down sauce pans and cool your jets :-)

• 10. Re: How can I stop automatic RMAN database backups?
                            Aman....

I believe you are mentioning about the option that comes while creating the db using the DBCA that do you want to configure to have automatic backup jobs. If that you meant was answered as Yes, looking at the scheduler jobs would be correct. Did you try to see any sort of logs for the jobs running , just to confirm that nothing from o/s is configured ?

Aman....

• 11. Re: How can I stop automatic RMAN database backups?

Hi Aman

You are correct.

I have been through the documents / DBCA utility and there is an option to configure automatic backup jobs on the database (for RAC/ASM).

I have checked out the jobs in DBA_SCHEDULER and also, on a whim, what is running in DBA_JOBS. But have not found anything that runs the looks like a back up - or at 2am for that matter.

My OS is not running - I do not even have CRON enabled on this system (we are on RHEL 6).

The database FYI is 11.2.0.3. It is a RAC - operting the crs software from grid - and the RDBMS from oracle (as per best practices)

Thanks for taking the time to respond

Regards

• 12. Re: How can I stop automatic RMAN database backups?
                                Aman....

Yes, I am aware about that option. Since you haven't found anything in the dba_jobs, as Ed has mentioned, try looking in the dba_scheduler_jobs as well. I don't have a database right now with me but I can fire up one tomorrow and can let you know where this job gets configured. Should be a scheduler interface job only IMO.

Aman....

• 13. Re: How can I stop automatic RMAN database backups?

HI Aman

Yes - I have checked dba_scheduler_jobs too

OWNER                          JOB_NAME
                                  ------------------------------ ------------------------------
                                  EXFSYS                         RLM$EVTCLEANUP
                                  EXFSYS                         RLM$SCHDNEGACTION
                                  ORACLE_OCM                     MGMT_CONFIG_JOB
                                  ORACLE_OCM                     MGMT_STATS_CONFIG_JOB
                                  SYS                            PURGE_LOG
                                  SYS                            ORA$AUTOTASK_CLEAN
                                  SYS                            HM_CREATE_OFFLINE_DICTIONARY
                                  SYS                            DRA_REEVALUATE_OPEN_FAILURES
                                  SYS                            BSLN_MAINTAIN_STATS_JOB
                                  SYS                            FGR$AUTOPURGE_JOB
                                  SYS                            RSE$CLEAN_RECOVERABLE_SCRIPT

SYS                            SM$CLEAN_AUTO_SPLIT_MERGE
                                  SYS                            FILE_WATCHER
                                  SYS                            XMLDB_NFS_CLEANUP_JOB

Nothing that jumps out as BACK UP here (well as far as I can see)

and from DBA_JOBS

wwv_flow_cache.purge_sessions(p_purge_sess_older_then_hrs => 24);
                                  wwv_flow_mail.push_queue(wwv_flow_platform.get_preference('SMTP_HOST_ADDRESS'),w
                                  wv_flow_platform.get_preference('SMTP_HOST_PORT'));

EMD_MAINTENANCE.EXECUTE_EM_DBMS_JOB_PROCS();

• 14. Re: How can I stop automatic RMAN database backups?
                                    FreddieEssex

Could the backup job be scheduled through:

1) A external scheduled job through a scheduler like Tivoli or the like which would just call a script.

2) A job configured in Grid Control (mentioned above but might have been overlooked).

1 2 Previous Next