This discussion is archived
1 2 Previous Next 18 Replies Latest reply: Jul 18, 2013 2:52 PM by jgarry RSS

Oracle Database 12c Question

1010168 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

Can a "Standard Edition" database be a pluggable database in a "Enterprise Edition" multitenant container database?

• 1. Re: Oracle Database 12c Question
    Dizwell Newbie

Remind me where it gives you the option to specify the Edition of the database when creating it with DBCA?

I think you'll find that you can only specify the Edition during the software installation... which would then dictate the edition applied to all databases created from that Oracle Home.

So, short answer: no.

• 2. Re: Oracle Database 12c Question
    Aman.... Oracle ACE

I haven't tried it myself but logically speaking, the answer would be a no, as mentioned already by HJR.

Aman....

• 3. Re: Oracle Database 12c Question
    karan Pro

NO ...Multitenant is only for enterprise edition

• 4. Re: Oracle Database 12c Question
    Hemant K Chitale Oracle ACE

Interesting to see that  according to a line in the Licencing doc :

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E16655_01/license.121/e17614/editions.htm#CJACGHEB

"The multitenant architecture with one pluggable database (single tenant) is available in all editions"

I don't know if anyone has tried setting up a MulitTenant Database with a single PDB in SE.

Hemant K Chitale

• 5. Re: Oracle Database 12c Question
    BillyVerreynne Oracle ACE

12c (AMDx86_64) did not allow me to select db product options/features - all the products/features were selected (OLAP, data mining, etc), and selections grayed out. Which meant that the CDB I created automatically have all product features. Despite that not being what I wanted, and not what we typically would have licenses for in a production environment.

• 6. Re: Oracle Database 12c Question
    Dizwell Newbie

If you opt to create a General Purpose or Warehouse database template, you will get all those things built-in, no chance of altering it. But if you select the 'custom' option, Step 9 of 14 ("Database Options") will give you the option to configure/not-install all of those things, though you'll have to click on the Database Components tab first, which isn't selected by default.

No surprise that they make it hard to de-select pay-for, licensable options, don't you think?! 

• 7. Re: Oracle Database 12c Question
    Aman.... Oracle ACE

Karan, I guess it's not correct and as Hemant has mentioned too, multitenant is an option for all the databases.

Aman....

• 8. Re: Oracle Database 12c Question
    karan Pro
  • 9. Re: Oracle Database 12c Question
    karan Pro

• 10. Re: Oracle Database 12c Question
    1010168 Newbie

Interesting...

My original question came about as a result of discussions here regarding the concept of a software developer merely delivering a pluggable database for customers rather than requiring the customer to do a complete Oracle database software install, assuming that the customer already had a container database available to plug into....It appears that that customer would have to have EE already since the multitenant only available with EE....and at additional cost.

• 11. Re: Oracle Database 12c Question
    rp0428 Guru

1010168 wrote:

Interesting...

My original question came about as a result of discussions here regarding the concept of a software developer merely delivering a pluggable database for customers rather than requiring the customer to do a complete Oracle database software install, assuming that the customer already had a container database available to plug into....It appears that that customer would have to have EE already since the multitenant only available with EE....and at additional cost.

You have raise an excellent question but your last comment is wrong based on the doc link and quote that Hemant provided.

So IMHO someone will need to test your use case to determine:

1. If Standard Edition can create a Multitenant DB with one PDB

2. If that PDB from step 1 can be plugged into:

A. A different Standard Edition multitenant CDB - becoming the ONE PDB that standard edition can support (or replacing the existing one if any.

B. An Enterprise (or other) multitenant CDB.

IMHO the whole 'pluggable' paradigm is going to raise a set of questions/issues similar to the one that you raised and people are going to be trying things along the line of what you propose (plug between versions).

The 'NO' answer provided by the other responders may very well be correct but I would not make any such assumption about whether inter-version pluggability is supported or what the result might be even if it actually appears to work. I think the 'correct' answer will need to get worked out over time as people begin trying what you propose and then submitting SORs when something doesn't appear to work properly.

• 12. Re: Oracle Database 12c Question
    1010168 Newbie

I will try it...

• 13. Re: Oracle Database 12c Question
    Dizwell Newbie

You are absolutely right that it's early days for this feature -and also that it's an excellent question. Clearly, the idea of 'database virtualization' that Oracle is trying to get at with this 'pluggable database' feature would suggest that being able to plug in Standard Edition "units" and "old version" units would be something to aim for ...and maybe some movement on this will be possible in future releases.

But I find it difficult to see how it could possibly work. The entire concept is, essentially, that one software install allows you to 'virtualize' multiple independent databases. But edition and version are both governed by the software installation, so I can't see how it would ever be possible to run (say) an 11.2 pluggable database within a 12c container, or an SE pluggable database within a 12c container that is, by definition, Enterprise Edition.

My own best guess is that in 12c Release 2, you might see a 'STANDARD_EDITION_ONLY=TRUE' initialization parameter which allows an EE-software-homed database to run only with SE-licensed features (though making features you haven't paid for impossible to use is not something Oracle has historicallly been good at!). Presumably, mucking about with COMPATIBLE might also let you run 11g-a-like databases in a factually-12c environment. But I can't see you'd ever be able to get genuinely SE- or 11g- databases working.

Interesting times, anyway...

• 14. Re: Oracle Database 12c Question
    rp0428 Guru

I agree with your assessment about the viability issues. Not sure what you mean by 'an 11.2 pluggable database'. As far as I know the process of migrating an 11.2 database to a PDB makes changes to the actual physical files to tag them as 12c. I haven't been able to identify the actual mechanism used, tag locations or content.

For me, and the forums, the bigger issue is that when Oracle introduces new functionality or architecture (e.g. the paradigm shift to multi-tenant) there isn't really any way for us 'outsiders' to know how they actually intend for that functionality to work.

We can certainly run tests that show how something DOES work in a particular use case but we have no way of knowing if it is actually SUPPOSED to work that way or if it is SUPPORTED to work that way.

I ran across that already in testing I did for the new IDENTITY functionality. See my response in this thread for details.

https://forums.oracle.com/thread/2559782

Here is part of the findings I posted there

>

CAUTION - it is not known if this is supported by Oracle. You should assume it is NOT SUPPORTED unless or unless Oracle says it is.

If you examine the data dictionary for a table with an IDENTITY column you will see a DATA_DEFAULT value something like 'ISEQ$$_92484.nextval' in USER_TAB_COLS for the identity column.

That is why you CANNOT specify a default value for an identity column: Oracle specifies the default to be the new sequence generator that it creates.

But interestingly, Oracle does NOT complain if you specify a sequence generator for a numeric column (NUMBER anyway, haven't tried others) that is NOT an identity column.

It appears that in 12c you can specify 'MY_SEQ.NEXTVAL' as a default value for a column and use an existing sequence.. This DOES NOT make the column an 'official' IDENTITY but the column does appear to function as one.

>

So the last two sentences above show that using a predefined sequence appears to work as a column default value. But is that use actually supported by Oracle in a production environment? How can we possibly know? Oracle could simply not support it but not do anything to disable it or could disable it in the future. I don't see how the question could even be answered in a forum so what do you tell an OP that asks about it?

As I mentioned there it appears that they introduced a bug whereby the system generated sequence that supports an IDENTITY column isn't dropped when the table is dropped and I haven't found a way to drop it even as SYS.

1 2 Previous Next

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points