This discussion is archived
1 6 7 8 9 10 Previous Next 146 Replies Latest reply: Oct 9, 2013 11:35 AM by jgarry Go to original post RSS
  • 135. Re: Update on site issues
    SomeoneElse Guru
    Currently Being Moderated

Why would they want it back? 

• 136. Re: Update on site issues
    PhHein Guru Moderator

Easy, they can't deal with Win7 or Win8 and 64 bit scares them sh!tless

• 137. Re: Update on site issues
    jgarry Guru

You should see the early '90's app usage of the db

Akshully, my boss uses the latest and greatest so he knows what will fail across our stack, and it scares me shirtless.  Most of our users are on VM's, and I'd rather keep what I have than do that (though I've asked for and may even get something where I could run multiple db VM's... or may not.  Acquisitions have widely expanded our collection of obsolescence, I expect at some point that will lead to major upgrade/consolidation/cloudynonsense/paradigmofthemoment.).

If it were up to me, some real unix, but it's probably fortunate that it's not.

Message was edited by: BrianW-OracleMod Just a test, ignore

• 138. Re: Update on site issues
    Dude! Guru

Windows XP is not necessarily the reason for the described problem. Connections to the forum are still not fully reliable, resulting in slow responses and disconnections at times with all sorts of unpredictable behavior. Firefox 22 was released very recently.

Regarding the other comments about 64-bit (x86-64), Windows 7, etc., Microsoft is not a synonym for state of the art technology or clever technology implementations. If Microsoft did not pull the plug on XP, most installations would still continue to run XP. If you think about the investments and efforts people have been making over the last decade, just to keep up with Microsoft and to have a manageable system, to basically use a web browser and a few office applications, how can this not be pathetic.

• 139. Re: Update on site issues
    jgarry Guru

I thought the century comment and SomeoneElse's response hilarious.  We can all bash MS (I know I do!) but the reality is these kinds of configurations are common for those accessing these fora.  How silly would it be if I didn't say what OS?

• 140. Re: Update on site issues
    Dude! Guru

It was actually not my intention to bash Microsoft, but rather to ascertain the declination between the perception or requirement of progress and reality.

• 141. Re: Update on site issues
    Sujoy Journeyer

BluShadow wrote:

Sujoy wrote:

Update: Mails sent to the otn_feedback@oracle.com mailbox are bouncing back, I have raised an Account Help request from http://www.oracle.com/us/corporate/contact/about-your-account-070507.html

Regards,

Sujoy

I may have got the email address wrong (it's not one I contact myself regularly!)

Looking around I think the proper email you need is otnfeedback_us@oracle.com

My apologies.

Thanks again BluShadow.

My profile is fixed now, they have transferred the history into it. My pre-upgrade posts also show my username now instead of a number. Much happiness!

Regards,

Sujoy

• 142. Re: Update on site issues
    BluShadow Guru Moderator

PhHein wrote:

XP?! The last century just called and wanted their OS back

Nooo, they can't take back the most stable operating system they've produced!  Then what would we do

Some machines in our business are being replaced with Win7 machines...  oh what problems they cause....

• 143. Re: Update on site issues
    Greg.Spall Expert

Really? I found the opposite, every upgrade to Win 7 I have been involved with (both work and at home) has resulted in smoother, faster, cleaner operations.  IMHO Win7 is much more stable and robust than XP.

• 144. Re: Update on site issues
    BluShadow Guru Moderator

You're lucky then.

Here we have many different pieces of software, old and new, and whilst some of the newer stuff is fine (excluding the obvious stuff that's designed to work with Win7) some of the older stuff has problems, especially as many of these systems require integration with each other.   It's difficult to describe accurately, but no doubt we'll get around to sorting everything out eventually.  It's just a helluva task.

• 145. Re: Update on site issues
    Greg.Spall Expert

Well, fair yes, trying to do any kind of "integrating with each other" in windows is never easy

Of course, I never really had any issues with Win 98 either .. so take that as you will too

• 146. Re: Update on site issues
    jgarry Guru

Been four months, how about a status update?

1 6 7 8 9 10 Previous Next