10 Replies Latest reply: Jul 15, 2013 5:59 AM by Mike-Matthews-Oracle RSS

**Creating default directory in failed: \logging.properties (Access is denied)**

49ef8ac3-5733-43ee-a779-1c3e74eba988

Hello Experts,

i am deploying edq on weblogic.

After deployment, when lauching the edq url getting below error on firefox.

**Creating default directory in failed: \logging.properties (Access is denied)**

by default, it took the path as:

C:\oraclesw\oracle\middleware\user_projects\domains\oedq_dev_domain\servers\edqdev_server1\tmp\_WL_user\dndirector\1i3bzo\war\WEB-INF\config

i have unzipped the config.zip into above mentioned config folder.

• 1. Re: **Creating default directory in failed: \logging.properties (Access is denied)**
          Mike-Matthews-Oracle

This is not the recommended practice from the Advanced Installation Notes and you have run into a permissions problem. You should extract the config directory into a separate location and use the launchpad pages to point EDQ at that location.

• 2. Re: **Creating default directory in failed: \logging.properties (Access is denied)**

Hi Mike,

Thanks, you are very helpful on the forum.

While installing edq on weblogic , i am getting this issue twice.

I got the config page on mozilla, but after restarting do not get the launchpad. again get to the config page. i guess, i was what i was not doing right that i had stopped and started the weblog server without shutting down the managed server. and, when i did shut down the managed server and restarted the weblogic, i got the launchpad.

I am getting the same issue. I have restarted several times (shutting down the managed server every time before stopping wlserver), still get the config page and dont get the launchpad.

• 3. Re: **Creating default directory in failed: \logging.properties (Access is denied)**

this has something to do with configdir.txt file that you create in the WEB_INF folder. when i restart, the file is removed and end up getting the same config page

• 4. Re: **Creating default directory in failed: \logging.properties (Access is denied)**
                Mike-Matthews-Oracle

There is no need to create a configdir.txt file. Before deployment, extract the provided config.zip into a separate directory owned by the same user as the directory where you are going to deploy EDQ - for example /opt/edq/config owned by user edq.

Then as user edq, manually expand the war file into another directory, for example /opt/edq/[versionnumber] and deploy the application choosing the 'I will make this deployment accessible from this location' option.

Then bring up the launchpad and tell it where your config directory is, and point it at your database.

• 5. Re: **Creating default directory in failed: \logging.properties (Access is denied)**

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your quick responses. I have two questions that may help:

1. I have not expanded the .war file. I am creating the deployment in weblogic using the .war file and not the expanded folder.Rest of the steps are same as you have said above. would the edq application writes anything in this expanded folder at runtime? i do not understand the need to expand the .war as not a recommended practice in weblogic, bcoz while creating the deployment, when you point to the .war file (or may be a expand folde), the weblogic deploys the application in the below dir.

\apps\oracle\applications\user_projects\domains\oedq_dev_domain\servers\edqdev_server1\tmp\_WL_user\dndirector\1i3bzo\war\WEB-INF

And, while using JRockit JDK, i can find a "configdir.txt" file in WEB-INF dir created automatically when we bring up the launchpad and tell it where our config directory is to point to the config dir from this deployment folder

2. I while using Sun JVM. I DO NOT find the "configdir.txt" file in WEB-INF dir created automatically when we bring up the launchpad and every re-start of the application server keep asking the "config directory" is when we bring up the launchpad.

When we manually create the "configdir.txt" file in the below folder, which has absolute path of the "config" dir, it is removed from the dir.

\apps\oracle\applications\user_projects\domains\oedq_dev_domain\servers\edqdev_server1\tmp\_WL_user\dndirector\1i3bzo\war\WEB-INF

And, it seems to me that the deployment dir(\apps\oracle\applications\user_projects\domains\oedq_dev_domain\servers\edqdev_server1\tmp\_WL_user\dndirector\1i3bzo\war\WEB-INF) and the "config" dir are not getting tied to each other. I am wondering if the culprit is SUN JVM????

I am indecisive where to go from here. Have a jrockit JDK and do a re-install?

• 6. Re: **Creating default directory in failed: \logging.properties (Access is denied)**
                    Mike-Matthews-Oracle

I really think you need to re-read the Advanced Installation Guide for EDQ.

jRockit is not certified for EDQ. There are known issues in running some typical EDQ configurations on an instance running on jRockit due to the way the JVM works that are not yet fully understood. You must use the Oracle JDK.

I repeat the fact that configdir.txt is irrelevant to the install process.

Expand the war file before deployment. There are good reasons for this that I do not want to go into here.

Make sure your config directory is *outside* of the deployment folder Weblogic uses as this may change, and you will need to preserve your config directory on upgrades.

In short, follow the documentation.

Regards,

Mike

• 7. Re: **Creating default directory in failed: \logging.properties (Access is denied)**

Hi Mike,

thanks for showing the direction.

I would like to clify the fact "Expand the war file before deployment. There are good reasons for this that I do not want to go into here."

Lets say i am expanding the .war file at /opt/edq/[versionnumber], and i want to create two environments dev and test on the same physical machine. I can have two weblogic domains for dev and test. Can i create two deployments from the same application directory /opt/edq/[versionnumber]. Would this expanded directory will have run-time changes that both dev and test configurations that the two environments cannot adopt.

If we are good to have one single application directory for two environments. I believe we can have two separate configuration directories (by unzip config.zip) with the two weblogic domain folders, say

\apps\edq\applications\user_projects\domains\oedq_dev_domain\config\edq

\apps\edq\applications\user_projects\domains\oedq_test_domain\config\edq

So, i want to clarify if we can have one single application folder(expanden .war file) with two separate "configuration directories"  for dev and test and it can still maintain the configurations separate for the two environments.

Also, if you can suggest copying the jar files (tools) . Can i have a tools folder with the expanded application folder , say  /opt/edq/[versionnumber]/tools or \apps\oracle\applications\user_projects\domains\oedq_dev_domain\lib\tools. notice that both locations have access permissions for user edq.

Thanks again.

I much appreciate your help.

• 8. Re: **Creating default directory in failed: \logging.properties (Access is denied)**

When we restart the application server up and start the managed server, the deployment is in the failed status with the following message:

We have the Memory settings on the managed server set as : -Xmx5024M –XX:MaxPermSize=256M

<Jul 11, 2013 4:45:13 PM EDT> <Warning> <Deployer> <BEA-149004> <Failures were detected while initiating start task for application 'dndirector'.>

<Jul 11, 2013 4:45:13 PM EDT> <Warning> <Deployer> <BEA-149078> <Stack trace for message 149004

1. weblogic.application.ModuleException:

at weblogic.servlet.internal.WebAppModule.startContexts(WebAppModule.java:1520)

at weblogic.servlet.internal.WebAppModule.start(WebAppModule.java:484)

at weblogic.application.internal.flow.ModuleStateDriver$3.next(ModuleStateDriver.java:425)

at weblogic.application.utils.StateMachineDriver.nextState(StateMachineDriver.java:52)

at weblogic.application.internal.flow.ModuleStateDriver.start(ModuleStateDriver.java:119)

Truncated. see log file for complete stacktrace

Caused By: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: com.datanomic.utils.transport.TransportSignature

at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:202)

at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)

at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:190)

at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:307)

at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:248)

Truncated. see log file for complete stacktrace

>

<Jul 11, 2013 4:49:42 PM EDT> <Warning> <netuix> <BEA-423420> <Redirect is executed in begin or refresh action. Redirect url is /console/console.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=WebAppApplicationOverviewPage&WebAppApplicationOverviewPortlethandle=com.bea.console.handles.AppDeploymentHandle%28%22com.bea%3AName%3Ddndirector%2CType%3DAppDeployment%22%29.>

• 9. Re: **Creating default directory in failed: \logging.properties (Access is denied)**

Hi Mike,

Did the deployment as per the installation doc.

After doing the edq configuration steps, everything looks ok, got expanded application dir, config dit outside the application dir..

But,  after restarting  the application server, the deployment is failed. Tried several reboots that does not change the status of the deployment.

The error message is what i have pasted above - java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: com.datanomic.utils.transport.TransportSignature

Any clues please?

Thanks again.

• 10. Re: **Creating default directory in failed: \logging.properties (Access is denied)**
                            Mike-Matthews-Oracle

Looks like something simple like pointing WebLogic at the wrong location.