This discussion is archived
8 Replies Latest reply: Jul 12, 2013 2:49 PM by fac586 RSS

blob (

newbi_egy Explorer
Currently Being Moderated

hi all ,

i think i have Release 4.0 of application express

, i was trying to create a report with a (blob) column ,

when i added the blob column and tried to display the report , i saw the blob column with these words in each row (unsupported data type) ?

any idea ?

thanks in advance

• 1. Re: blob (
    fac586 Guru

The report doesn't reference the BLOB column directly, it should retrieve the length of the BLOB, for example: dbms_lob.getlength(BLOB_COL)

See About BLOB Support in Forms and Reports.

There's an OBE tutorial that followed the introduction of declarative BLOB support in 3.1 as well. (An earlier version but it is still relevant to APEX 4.x.)

• 2. Re: blob (
    newbi_egy Explorer

thanks man , your words were helpful , but actually , i got nothing from what you've written at the first line , but

i saw the tutorial , and these steps are the same of what i did , but the result is different ?

the result at the tutorial at first is a (download link) , then (an image) , but when i did the same , i got (unsupported data type) ? !!

what do i miss ?

thanks

• 3. Re: blob (
    newbi_egy Explorer

thanks man , your words were helpful , but actually , i got nothing from what you've written at the first line , but

i saw the tutorial , and these steps are the same of what i did , but the result is different ?

the result at the tutorial at first is a (download link) , then (an image) , but when i did the same , i got (unsupported data type) ? !!

what do i miss ?

thanks

• 4. Re: blob (
    Pars Pro

Hi,

to display blob item in report by simple method refer

packaged application>>sample database application>>page3

check report query u got some idea

Regards.

• 5. Re: blob (
    fac586 Guru

newbi_egy wrote:

what do i miss ?

Do not reference the BLOB column directly in the report query. The "BLOB" column must return the size of the BLOB.

Use:

select
     , dbms_lob.getlength(blob_column) blob_column
     , ...

and not

select
     , blob_column
     , ...
  • 6. Re: blob (
    newbi_egy Explorer

i did what you said

{code}

1. select 
    2.    ... 
    3. , dbms_lob.getlength(blob_column) blob_column 
    4. {code}
    5. and it worked well ,
    6. the column now has (dash) - instead of (unsupported data type) , but
    7. when i edit a product to update the image column , i browse for an image , then click apply changes , but vainly ,
    8. the image is not displayed in the column , neigther a download link , like the tutorial said .
  • 7. Re: blob (
    newbi_egy Explorer

any response ?

• 8. Re: blob (
    fac586 Guru

newbi_egy wrote:

i did what you said

{code}

1. select 
    2.    ...
    3. , dbms_lob.getlength(blob_column) blob_column
    4. {code}
    5. and it worked well ,
    6. the column now has (dash) - instead of (unsupported data type) , but
    7. when i edit a product to update the image column , i browse for an image , then click apply changes , but vainly ,
    8. the image is not displayed in the column , neigther a download link , like the tutorial said .

A dash indicates that the column is null. Sounds like the BLOB is not being saved to the database rather than it being a report problem.

Reproduce the problem on apex.oracle.com.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points