2 Replies Latest reply: Jul 15, 2013 4:35 AM by WadhahDaouehi RSS

limiting resources for Oracle VM Server

user739062

Hello,

Is there a way to limit resources (the number of cpus and amount of available memory) for Oracle VM Server? I need to do performance testing and investigate how it will work when we won't have enough resources - but I have a very powerful machine. So I'd like artificiallly limit resources available for all VMs (pretend that the physical server is significantly less powerful).

It looks like for a Linux machine we can do this by adding maxcpus=N mem=XGB to /boot/grub/grub.conf. Can we do this (or something similar) in Oracle VM Server 3.2.1?

/boot/grub/grub.conf looks different in Oracle VM Server 3.2.1 so I am not sure if/how I can make such change. Any idea?

Thanks,

Alex 

• 1. Re: limiting resources for Oracle VM Server
          WadhahDaouehi

Hi,

In the documentation of Oracle VM Server you can modify the memory size of the Dom0; In /boot/grub/grub.conf

The Dom0 is Linux based, so you can add in /boot/grub/grub.conf the parameters like a Linux system, more in this URL. (i will tested it and i will tell you what happened )

I hope this can help you

Best Regards

• 2. Re: limiting resources for Oracle VM Server
            WadhahDaouehi

Hi,

Yes you can limit the number of the CPU of Oracle VM Server with the parameter maxcpus in the file /boot/grub/grub.conf.

Tested with my environemnt:

- I have Oracle VM Server 3.2.1 installed on Oracle VirtualBox with 2 CPU.

- I changed the the file /boot/grub/grub.conf from:

default=0

timeout=5

title Oracle VM Server-ovs (xen-4.1.3 2.6.39-300.22.2.el5uek)

root (hd0,0)

kernel /xen.gz dom0_mem=544M

module /vmlinuz-2.6.39-300.22.2.el5uek ro root=UUID=595b8b50-c1bf-49cd-a245-211195089b3b

module /initrd-2.6.39-300.22.2.el5uek.img

to looks like :

default=0

timeout=5

title Oracle VM Server-ovs (xen-4.1.3 2.6.39-300.22.2.el5uek)

root (hd0,0)

kernel /xen.gz dom0_mem=544M maxcpus=1

module /vmlinuz-2.6.39-300.22.2.el5uek ro root=UUID=595b8b50-c1bf-49cd-a245-211195089b3b

module /initrd-2.6.39-300.22.2.el5uek.img

and when i rebooted my server, that's good and it is booting with one cpu (verified with /proc/cpuinfo).

I hope this can help you

Best Regards