This discussion is archived
9 Replies Latest reply: Jul 16, 2013 7:26 AM by Juri_Wolfenhaut RSS

Cannot set "Compress" property for an "implicit" locally partitioned index

Juri_Wolfenhaut Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi *,

I am using Data Modeler version 3.1.0.691 under Windows XP (SP3). My problem is that I cannot set the "Compress" property for a locally partitioned index, created implicitly to support a primary key or unique key constraint. E.g. if in the Physical Model, in the "General" tab of the "Primary Key Properties" dialog, I select LOCAL in the "Using Index" field, then in the "Using Index" tab of this dialog there is no field to set the "Compress" property for the supporting index.

The only way I found to work around this problem was:

1. In the Relational Model, create a unique index (under the "Indexes" node) with necessary columns to support the primary key or unique key constraint. Here the Data Modeler will not allow same names for the constraint and for the index
(see the "*Naming of PK, Unique constraints and supporting indexes*" thread Naming of PK, Unique constraints and supporting indexes regarding this).

2. In the Physical Model, in the "General" tab of the "Index Properties" dialog, select LOCAL in the "Partitioned" field and enter the desired compression prefix length in the "Compress" field. (Here it is also possible to rename the index - set its name to that of the corresponding constraint, as described in the above link.)

3. In the Physical Model, in the "General" tab of the "Primary/Unique Key Properties" dialog, select BY INDEX NAME in the "Using Index" field. Then, in the "Using Index" tab of this dialog, in the "Existing Index" field select the supporting index, explicitly created in the above steps.

My question is, whether in some future Data Modeler version it would be possible to add the "Compress" field to the "Using Index" tab of the "Primary/Unique Key Properties" dialog (Physical Model)?

Best regards,
Juri

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points