This discussion is archived
3 Replies Latest reply: Jul 17, 2013 5:49 AM by rukbat RSS

Oracle Production Support Roles and Responsibilities

Deadlock10 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

Hi,

I am currently working in Application Support from past 4 years and I have applied for a opening in Oracle Production Support environment and it is different from DBA.

So far i have never worked in Oracle Production Support so i am curious to know what exactly the roles and Responsibilities for this position.

What kind of issues comes and how to troubleshoot them?

I actually need to understand the nature of this job in detail and few interview questions that can be asked for this position.

Any kind of help will be appreciated.

Thanks in Advance,

Regards.

• 1. Re: Oracle Production Support Roles and Responsibilities
    JoeCrofts Newbie

That's a pretty vague job title - all it really tells us is that you'll be providing support, in a production environment, for one (or more) of the products Oracle provides.  The A-Z of Oracle products on their website currently lists 891 different products.

If you've applied for the job you should have been given some kind of job description or a role profile (or both) so you know what it is you've applied for.  That's your starting point.  It should tell you what product(s) the employer expects you to support and the specific areas they've got in mind (backup & recover, performance, security, etc).

I have to wonder though; if you don't know what the job involves, how do you know you want it?

• 2. Re: Oracle Production Support Roles and Responsibilities
    EdStevens Guru

Deadlock10 wrote:

Hi,

I am currently working in Application Support from past 4 years and I have applied for a opening in Oracle Production Support environment and it is different from DBA.

So far i have never worked in Oracle Production Support so i am curious to know what exactly the roles and Responsibilities for this position.

What kind of issues comes and how to troubleshoot them?

I actually need to understand the nature of this job in detail and few interview questions that can be asked for this position.

Any kind of help will be appreciated.

Thanks in Advance,

Regards.

In addition to Joe's questions regarding if you don't know the answer, then how do you know you want the job .......

Regarding job titles:

"When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean -- neither more nor less."

(Lewis Carroll - Through the Looking Glass)

And so it is with job titles.  Any given job title means only and exactly what the organization chooses it to mean -- "neither more nor less".

Even though we work in a technical industry, not every term you see has a universal, fixed, immutable, technical meaning. Not even close.

My first two jobs in IT were in shops that had exactly the same set of job titles for Programmers --

- Programmer/Analyst I

- Programmer/Analyst II

- Programmer/Analyst III

In one shop,  the Programmer/Analyst III was the most junior of the three.

In the other, the Programmer/Analyst III was the most senior of the three.

So, you tell me, what is a "Programmer/Analyst III"?  What is a "development DBA"?  What is a "production support DBA"?

• 3. Re: Oracle Production Support Roles and Responsibilities
    rukbat Guru Moderator

@ Deadlock10,

You posted your question to the Oracle Linux forum space.

That is hosted here for inquiries and discussions related to the specific operating system known as Oracle Linux.

It is NOT hosted here at the OTN Forums site for vague questions about various Oracle application software that might happen to be running on some unspecified distribution of Linux.

Thus far, I don't see anything in this thread related to Oracle's OS.

Do you have such a question?

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points