This discussion is archived
6 Replies Latest reply: Jul 16, 2013 11:02 AM by 994096 RSS

Issues in auto creation of tasks using templates/attributes in FS

shreevat Pro
Currently Being Moderated
Hi,

We have a requirement to auto-create one or more tasks when a SR is created in Field Service module. Additionally, task owner should be auto-populated during the task creation (task owner would a CRM group which is dependent on the task type as per company defined business rules). There can be one or more task types associated with a SR type. Tasks within a SR type can or cannot be dependent on one or more tasks within the same SR type e.g. I can have 3 task types A, B and C under a SR type and C is dependent on B, so we set up the dependency as needed.

We were thinking of following the task template group approach. We created the task templates per SR type and associated the template with the SR type. Issue here is - we cannot assign the task owner value to the task type (I couldn't see a placeholder to define the task owner). Does anyone have pointers on defining the task owner while creating task group templates?

Another issue is - whenever there is a dependency between tasks, we cannot define the parent task id value. When you navigate to the tasks screen and select the dependent task, you get the error "field must be entered" for parent task id. Any thoughts on defining dependencies with parent task id populated when the tasks are created?

Second approach we tried is creating SR/Task attribute mapping configuration. Here we can define the task owner as well but the issue is we cannot define the dependencies between the tasks. Also we are getting the error "Attribute CUG_TASK_DEP_ID doesnot exist for item JTFTASK" and tasks are not getting created.

Any pointers on resolving these issues would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Shreevatsa
  • 1. Re: Issues in auto creation of tasks using templates/attributes in FS
    dejoseph Newbie
    Hi,

Today Auto Task creation can be based on the following:

Task Template Mapping => Based on SR Type, Product Category/Product, Problem Code mapping. For this mapping, Territories need to be setup to determine the Task Owner. If Territories are not setup, the application will not auto create Tasks.
    Task Type Attribute Configuration => Based on SR Type <=> CIC Attributes mapping. In this mapping definition, the Task Owner field is required to be setup. Whenever Tasks are auto created, the Task Owner setup in the definition is used.

For Task Dependency - what is the requirement? For a SR Type if three Tasks A, B, and C need to be auto created - are you looking for functionality to first create only Task A and when Task A is closed to create only Task B and when Task B is closed to create Task C?

Thanks,
    Denzil
  • 2. Re: Issues in auto creation of tasks using templates/attributes in FS
    581643 Newbie
    One clarification for the autask creation process.

In 12.1.2 the autotask creation process was enhanced to have the same functionality as when creating a task manually in the SR Task Tab.

- Assignment Manager and Territories can be used to assign the task owner
    - If the auto assignment fails to retrieve the owner, Task Owner Type and Task Owner will be defaulted from the profiles
    -Task Owner can be optional based on the value of the profile option Service: Service Task Owner Optional
    - This functionality applies to the following task creation flows:
    * Task created from the Use Template button
    * Automatic Task creation based on Task Template Mapping
    * Automatic Task creation based on Task Type Attribute Configuration
  • 3. Re: Issues in auto creation of tasks using templates/attributes in FS
    shreevat Pro
    Thanks for the response, Denzil. Regarding the task dependency, we need to create all tasks regardless of the dependency with the status as "waiting for pre-req" but parent task number column should get populated with the parent task number value.

Thanks
    Shreevatsa
  • 4. Re: Issues in auto creation of tasks using templates/attributes in FS
    shreevat Pro
    Thanks adpulido. Issue with the task templates is there is no provision to enter the task owner (need to set up territories which is a overhead) and task dependency not getting applied as expected (as mentioned in the original post) AND issue with attribute mapping is - not able to set the dependency.

Thanks
    Shreevatsa
  • 5. Re: Issues in auto creation of tasks using templates/attributes in FS
    581643 Newbie
    Shreevatsa,
    You are rigth. Currently the task template does not allow to define a task owner. We will need to create an ER for this.
    Who is the customer and what release are they using?

Thanks,
    Adriana.
  • 6. Re: Issues in auto creation of tasks using templates/attributes in FS
    994096 Newbie

Hello Denzil,

I have similar issues with auto task creation using task templates and then establish task dependencies. I think I am clear on the task template mapping as to how I need to derive task owner (setup territories). But, as you mentioned the dependency between Tasks A, B & C, how do I establish such a dependency using Auto task creation process?

Thanks

Sarath

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points