This discussion is archived
3 Replies Latest reply: Jul 17, 2013 7:36 PM by Hemant K Chitale RSS

Same Db Instance Listening on multiple IP's

FlyingGuy Explorer
Currently Being Moderated

Hey Gang,

Oracle 11gR2 EE w/all the goodies.

So in reading the documentation for setting up the listener, it implies, but  does not state explicitly, that a single instance can listen on two different IP address on the same machine.

My use case is as follows:

I have a server in a co-location facility the machine has two NICS on it.  One NIC is on the private interal gigabit network and the other is on a public IP network ( behind a firewall ) .  We have several processing nodes on the private network but a lot of folks outside the facility connect across the public network.  The DB instance is listening on the public network, but not the private network.  The packets get there, but they go through a switch that uses a 100 Mb switch, so the processing nodes are not running as fast as they could.

Does anyone have experience running this type of configuration?  If you do could you please share your thoughts and experiences with me?

Cheers.

• 1. Re: Same Db Instance Listening on multiple IP's
    sb92075 Guru

Database do NOT "listen"; period.

listener processes listen.

a single listener can listen on 1 or more IP#, on 1 or more ports to support 1 or more databases.

On Production DB server with 2 Network Interface Cards, you have have "front end" network servicing end users & "back end" network for backup & such.

• 2. Re: Same Db Instance Listening on multiple IP's
    EdStevens Guru

What SB said is true but I can see where his statement

a single listener can listen on 1 or more IP#, on 1 or more ports to support 1 or more databases

could be misleading, causing one to believe that each database somehow requires its own port on the listener.  Not so.  (SB - I know that wasn't what you were saying, only that the way it was said, it could be read that way).

Just to amplify and clarify, the entire configuration of the listener is for the listener.  It has nothing to do with the database.

One single listener, using the default name of LISTENER, listening on the single default port of 1521 and a single IP address, is quite capable of -- indeed was designed to, service multiple databases of multiple versions running from multiple homes.

Now, if you have a need to configure the listener to listen on multiple ports and/or multiple ip addresses, that can certainly be done.  But there is no relationship between those multiple ip addresses/multiple ports and any database.

• 3. Re: Same Db Instance Listening on multiple IP's
    Hemant K Chitale Oracle ACE

> the other is on a public IP network ( behind a firewall ) .

Besides the replies that it is the listener that listens on IP address(es).... I would like to add :

Check to see that the firewall doesn't stop SQLNet traffic between the "folks outside the facility connect across the public network" and the database and vice-versa.

Hemant K Chitale

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points