This discussion is archived
2 Replies Latest reply: Jul 24, 2013 4:22 AM by Tridus RSS

Problem with ODP.NET for Entity Framework 5.0

user2853886 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

Good Day,

I'm currently working on a new project and try to use the latest component of .NET, EF and ODP.NET. However I'm facing a problem where the Update Wizard for EDMX is not able to list the tables or Views for Oracle database. However do notice that, for my scenario, I need to perform additional step as compare to the video clip below (Oracle Integration with Visual Studio 2012 by OracleDOTNETTeam), is to change the "Displayed Schemas" (which is default to my username) to the schema owner. I'm able to browse the tables and all other components from the Server Explorer-Data Connections panel, but when come to create the edmx, the UpdateWizard doesn't show the Tables or Views at all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68tlel4iJdM

Installed Package

- ODTwithODAC1120320_32bit

- Visual Studio 2012 (using .NET 4.5)

- Entity Framwork 5.0

Please advise.

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Problem with ODP.NET for Entity Framework 5.0
    skammerdiener Newbie

I also am having this same problem. My Oracle login is not the owner of the Schema that I am trying to diagram. When I get the connection setup in Visual Studio connections, and then change the filter to allow the schema that I want to target, I can see the tables. When I use the EDMX model reverse engineering designer, the connection is used, but the wizard cannot see the tables in the schema that is being used, and no tables show up in the wizard to choose for the model. This appears to be a problem with the server connection being able to honor the tables and show them (prepended with the schema in parens) but the wizard is not using the filter and only trying to find tables and views in the home schema.

I would be happy to show screen shots if there is a place to upload them and show what the differences are from the video.

• 2. Re: Problem with ODP.NET for Entity Framework 5.0
    Tridus Journeyer

Yeah, in VS 2012 it doesn't work properly and ignores the settings. The only 100% reliable workaround I've found is to recreate the table structure in a dev environment somewhere, and then login as the schema owner in EF to do the table updates.

Obviously that's a PITA, but it does work.

This goes back to the old issue of Oracle's defaults being bad, in that they hide the other schemas by default and flat out break the ability to update models in cases like this. The default desperately needs changing so that it works out of the box.