8 Replies Latest reply: Jul 30, 2013 11:24 PM by Asif Muhammad RSS

How to get EBS environment name

kumar_1302

I have an EBS environment and if I want to know its environment name then where can I get those details? Is there any file that stores its value?

Here are my environment version details:

EBS Version - 12.1.3

DB - Oracle Database 11g Express Edition Release 11.2.0.2.0 - 64bit

OS - Oracle Linux Server release 6.2

• 1. Re: How to get EBS environment name
          Srini Chavali-Oracle

Pl elaborate on what you mean by "environment name".

There are two files that contain various environment variables associated with an EBS install - one on the database tier and one on the applications tier.

Oracle E-Business Suite Concepts - see lines 1 and 4 in table 2-2 - line 1 incorrectly references 10.2.0 (it should be 11.1.0, which is the version installed with a default install, unless the database version has been upgraded since the install)

BTW, EBS requires Enterprise Edition of the database - Oracle E-Business Suite Installation Guide: Using Rapid Install - the install process installs tth EE version, not the Express version.

HTH
          Srini

• 2. Re: How to get EBS environment name
            Hussein Sawwan-Oracle

You can get such details from different sources.

Application context file --> $CONTEXT_FILE

Database context file --> $CONTEXXT_FILE

Application env file --> APPS<CONTEXT_NAME>.env file under $APPL_TOP directory

Database env file --> <CONTEXT_NAME>.env under RDBMS $ORACLE_HOME

You can also get the details from the database (v$database, fnd_product_groups, FND_ENV_CONTEXT, ..etc).

The "11g Express Edition" in your post must be a typo since EBS comes with Enterprise edition.

Thanks,

Hussein

• 3. Re: How to get EBS environment name
              kumar_1302

Thanks for the reply Srini, yes the Databse version is Oracle Database 11g Enterprise Edition Release 11.2.0.3.0 - Production

• 4. Re: How to get EBS environment name
                kumar_1302

Thanks a lot Hussein, basically when we login to EBS  environment it generates a cookie whose name matches with the name of the EBS environment. I have observed that the cookie name matches mostly with EBS DB SID, the EBS environment name and also with the TWO_TASK variable on my linux box. But I have observed that in few machines the cookie name is not matching with EBS DB SID so I wanted to know where the environment name will be stored exactly. We use the cookie value to create the AppsSession object in EBS. The value of CONTEXT_NAME mentioned in your reply contains the combination of EBS DB SID and EBS Linux hostname. I am assuming the cookie name in EBS represents the EBS environment name, please let me know if I am wrong.

• 5. Re: How to get EBS environment name
                  Hussein Sawwan-Oracle

How do you use the cookie name in your code? What is the link/URL?

Again, your question is not clear, when you say environment name are you referring to hostname.domainname or to Oracle SID? If the cookie name you are referring to matches EBS SID name then you are referring to this as an environment name then you can simply query this from the database (for example, query v$database or v$instance).

Thanks,

Hussein

• 6. Re: How to get EBS environment name
                    kumar_1302

We use the EBS cookie to generate the AppsSession object and this object is used to get the logged in user session details. I am new to EBS so I thought there is something called EBS environment name, but from this discussion I am clear that there is no such name. Can you please let me know if the name of session cookie always matches with the EBS DB SID?

• 7. Re: How to get EBS environment name
                      Hussein Sawwan-Oracle
                      We use the EBS cookie to generate the AppsSession object and this object is used to get the logged in user session details.

How do you get/capture this cookie?

I am new to EBS so I thought there is something called EBS environment name, but from this discussion I am clear that there is no such name.

It depends on how you represent it, environment name could be hostname.domainname from the application perspective or SID name from the database perspective or it coule be even the value of the "Site Name" profile option.

Can you please let me know if the name of session cookie always matches with the EBS DB SID?

I would say yes if you use this value to connect to the database.

Thanks,

Hussein

• 8. Re: How to get EBS environment name
                        Asif Muhammad

Hi Kumar,

I have an EBS environment and if I want to know its environment name then where can I get those details? Is there any file that stores its value?

Answer to your question would be the following post, by Hussein.:

Application context file --> $CONTEXT_FILE

Database context file --> $CONTEXXT_FILE

Application env file --> APPS<CONTEXT_NAME>.env file under $APPL_TOP directory

Database env file --> <CONTEXT_NAME>.env under RDBMS $ORACLE_HOME

You can also get the details from the database (v$database, fnd_product_groups, FND_ENV_CONTEXT, ..etc).

I believe the terminologies that you are using is a bit confusing when it comes to Oracle Apps world. As you have experienced the DB SID name in your client machines as cookies, hold up the DB name in short for referential purpose in the client machine.

But as per your question as to:

I want to know its environment name

There is no single environment name which will be used in Oracle standalone database or Oracle EBS instances, it uses a collection of environment variables and these variables has its own names, and each of these names serves its purpose.

But in 11i/R12, these environment names (I would say collection of Environment names) are separated into 2, namely the DB environmental file and the Application Environmental file.

Hope this helps

Best Regards,