2 Replies Latest reply: Jul 22, 2013 6:18 AM by ivanko RSS

Using Oracle Directory Server Discovery for sqlplus/jdbc

ivanko

Hello, everyone!

Has anyone tried to use Oracle Directory Server Discovery (Developing Applications With Oracle Extensions to the Standard APIs - 11g Release 1 (11.1.1))?

I mean, is it possible to employ the next configuration:

setup dns system with SRV records for _ldap._tcp._oid.domain.com

use sqlplus without TNS_ADMIN configs/jdbc in form of ldap:///<tnsname> (which stands for cn=<tnsname>,cn=OracleContext,dc=domain,dc=com) or ldap:///cn=<tnsname>,ou=uk,dc=domain,dc=com

the client component do resolve ldap directory server location through DNS and just substitutes it in exsting forms of urls (like sqlnet/ldap://ldapserver.domain.com)?

I thought it could be more interesting in enterprise environment than distributing config files along with a client.

Respectfully,

Ivan Kovalenko

• 1. Re: Using Oracle Directory Server Discovery for sqlplus/jdbc
          sb92075

ivanko wrote:

Hello, everyone!

Has anyone tried to use Oracle Directory Server Discovery (Developing Applications With Oracle Extensions to the Standard APIs - 11g Release 1 (11.1.1))?

I mean, is it possible to employ the next configuration:

setup dns system with SRV records for _ldap._tcp._oid.domain.com

use sqlplus without TNS_ADMIN configs/jdbc in form of ldap:///<tnsname> (which stands for cn=<tnsname>,cn=OracleContext,dc=domain,dc=com) or ldap:///cn=<tnsname>,ou=uk,dc=domain,dc=com

the client component do resolve ldap directory server location through DNS and just substitutes it in exsting forms of urls (like sqlnet/ldap://ldapserver.domain.com)?

I thought it could be more interesting in enterprise environment than distributing config files along with a client.

How applicable is this for any 3-tier application?

JDBC:THIN does not require any of the above.

Is this a solution in search of a problem?

• 2. Re: Using Oracle Directory Server Discovery for sqlplus/jdbc
            ivanko

Thin URLs are (according to Data Sources and URLs)

- oracle net connection description - lacks updateability when something changes in host/port/sid combination

- thin-style - the same problem

- tnsnames alias syntax - requires external file to resolve tns names

- ldap-syntax - requires directory to resolve tns names, but lacks updateability when something changes in LDAP layer - host, port

My question is about ldap syntax specifics. While it is possible to manage specifics of LDAP layer in DNS, is it possible to force jdbc thin client use that from DNS?