This discussion is archived
5 Replies Latest reply: Jul 22, 2013 6:06 AM by InoL RSS

Store Pdf file

kingadmin Explorer
Currently Being Moderated

Hi,

Oracle Form 6i,

Oracle Database 11g.

Is there any way to store pdf file from user client machine without transfer the file to OS of database?

Regards,

• 1. Re: Store Pdf file
    InoL Guru

In Forms 6i you can create an item of type OLE Container to store a PDF file.

However, I do not recommend this. You will never be able to retrieve the document in any other way than via Forms again. You cannot simply get the value of the BLOB column and store it somewhere as a PDF file. When using an OLE item, Forms "serializes" the data (whatever that means ) before storing it in the database. Also, OLE is obsolete in later versions of Forms.

>without transfer the file to OS of database

You don't have to transfer to the database server per se. Any file server will do, as long as the database has access to the directory (via CREATE DIRECTORY). This would be my preferred way to do it.

• 2. Re: Store Pdf file
    kingadmin Explorer

Thanks for replay,

But i need to understand what you mean you can not

Retrive pdf attahement only using Form.

I mean from Form using ole i can store it and retrive it.

And save it again as pdf file.

If it's possible can you  post a code how i can store it and retrive it usinf ole.

• 3. Re: Store Pdf file
    InoL Guru

Once you store a document via Forms OLE, you can only retrieve it via Forms OLE. So, you cannot use dbms_lob, utl_file etc. to write the BLOB to file.

There is no code for this, just use Forms item type OLE Container.

• 4. Re: Store Pdf file
    kingadmin Explorer

Thanks for replay ,

I need to understand i can 't store this PDF file in database ?

It's mean there is some attachment related to every employee . How i can attach this pdf for every employee?

Regards

• 5. Re: Store Pdf file
    InoL Guru

I already gave you a solution:

You don't have to transfer to the database server per se. Any file server will do, as long as the database has access to the directory (via CREATE DIRECTORY). This would be my preferred way to do it.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points