This discussion is archived
4 Replies Latest reply: Jul 22, 2013 6:16 PM by Srini Chavali-Oracle RSS

Ownership of datafiles after software installed by oracle:oinstall

gpafogarty Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

I know this has been discussed before, but I looked through those postings I did not see my question answered. My apologies if this topic is redundant to some.

In installing 11gR2 on a new AIX 7.1 server I followed the guidelines for operating system user and group, so the Oracle software is owned by oracle:oinstall. I am about to create a database. If I leave things as they are the datafiles will be owned by oracle:oinstall. Using the group oinstall seems wrong to me and I am not sure what to do about it. In previous releases of database server the software was owned by oracle:dba, as were the datafiles. I would prefer that my datafiles still be owned by oracle:dba, not by oracle:oinstall. If I switch the primary group of the oracle user from oinstall to dba will it cause problems later when I install patches, or install the next version of Oracle database server? Would I have to switch the primary group back to oinstall before applying the patch? If I had it to do over again I would not have used oinstall and instead stuck with dba.

Please tell me your experience with this subject.

Thank you,

Bill

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points