This discussion is archived
1 2 Previous Next 20 Replies Latest reply: Jul 29, 2013 9:54 AM by rahgupta RSS

OEM 12c and OVM 3.2 storage problem

Kosta2 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
EM: Version 12.1.0.2.0
Oracle VM Manager Version: 3.2.2.520 Build: 20130218_520

I successfully registered OVM 3.2 to the EM 12c.
I have two problems:

1. Using OVM Manager I can create virtual machines without any problem, but I can’t provision VM using Self-service portal in Enterprise manager. Provisioning job end with “Execution error” message. Job log display the following error:
*Error while checkig placement feasibility: oracle.sysman.vt.ovm.integration.api.EMOVMCommunicationServiceException: 5022: Error getting Storage Servers.[com.oracle.ovm.mgr.api.exception.IllegalOperationException:OVMAPI_7271E Single access operation: "getAccessHost", is not allowed. The iSCSI storage array: SAN-ISCSI-MTX, has multiple access descriptors. [Tue May 21 14:06:37 CEST 2013]]*

2. Second problem is related with previous one. From Infrastructure home page: when OVM manager is selected and from the menu if I click on: Administration->Storage, then the following error message appear:
An error was encountered while attempting to get the Storage Servers list. Please see logs for detail.
In log file I found the following errors:

Caused by: oracle.sysman.vt.ovm.integration.api.EMOVMCommunicationServiceException: 5018: Error getting plugin information[com.oracle.ovm.mgr.api.exception.IllegalOperationException:OVMAPI_7271E Single access operation: "getAccessHost", is not allowed. The iSCSI storage array: SAN-ISCSI-MTX, has multiple access descriptors. [Tue May 21 17:04:18 CEST 2013]]
at oracle.sysman.vt.ovm.integration.core.StorageManagerImpl.getAllPlugins(StorageManagerImpl.java:148)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:597)
at oracle.sysman.vt.fetchlet.pojo.OVMDataFetchletUtil.executeOperation(OVMDataFetchletUtil.java:241)
at oracle.sysman.vt.fetchlet.pojo.OVMDataFetchletUtil.executeOperation(OVMDataFetchletUtil.java:120)
at oracle.sysman.vt.fetchlet.pojo.OVMDataFetchletUtil.executeOperation(OVMDataFetchletUtil.java:148)
at oracle.sysman.vt.fetchlet.pojo.OVMMMetricsData.getData(OVMMMetricsData.java:86)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
at oracle.sysman.vt.fetchlet.impl.OVMMFetchlet.getMetric(OVMMFetchlet.java:91)
at oracle.sysman.gcagent.target.interaction.execution.FetchletFactory.getMetric(FetchletFactory.java:395)
at oracle.sysman.gcagent.target.interaction.execution.ExecuteTask.executeQueryDescriptor(ExecuteTask.java:1024)
at oracle.sysman.gcagent.target.interaction.execution.ExecuteTask.runTask(ExecuteTask.java:3826)
at oracle.sysman.gcagent.target.interaction.execution.ExecuteTask.call(ExecuteTask.java:4938)
at oracle.sysman.gcagent.target.interaction.execution.ExecuteTask.call(ExecuteTask.java:220)
at oracle.sysman.gcagent.task.ActionDriver.call(ActionDriver.java:57)
at oracle.sysman.gcagent.target.rowsource.TableRowSource._fetch_internal(TableRowSource.java:171)
at oracle.sysman.gcagent.target.rowsource.Rowsource._fetch(Rowsource.java:206)
at oracle.sysman.gcagent.target.rowsource.Rowsource.fetch(Rowsource.java:218)
at oracle.sysman.gcagent.target.interaction.execution.ExecuteTask.executeRSTree(ExecuteTask.java:3186)
at oracle.sysman.gcagent.target.interaction.execution.ExecuteTask.executeRSTree(ExecuteTask.java:3163)
at oracle.sysman.gcagent.target.interaction.execution.RTMCollection.getRTMRequest(RTMCollection.java:726)
at oracle.sysman.gcagent.target.interaction.execution.RTMCollection$RTMExecutor.call(RTMCollection.java:514)
at oracle.sysman.gcagent.target.interaction.execution.RTMCollection$RTMExecutor.call(RTMCollection.java:443)
at oracle.sysman.gcagent.task.DiagWrappedAction.call(DiagWrappedAction.java:52)
at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask$Sync.innerRun(FutureTask.java:303)
at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:138)
at oracle.sysman.gcagent.task.SingleActionTask.run(SingleActionTask.java:74)
at oracle.sysman.gcagent.task.AbstractTemplateTask.call(AbstractTemplateTask.java:185)
at oracle.sysman.gcagent.task.AbstractTemplateTask.call(AbstractTemplateTask.java:47)
at oracle.sysman.gcagent.task.executor.DiagWrappedTask.call(DiagWrappedTask.java:60)
at oracle.sysman.gcagent.task.TaskFutureImpl$WrappedTask.accountedCall(TaskFutureImpl.java:548)
at oracle.sysman.gcagent.task.TaskFutureImpl$WrappedTask.call(TaskFutureImpl.java:587)
at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask$Sync.innerRun(FutureTask.java:303)
at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:138)
at oracle.sysman.gcagent.task.TaskFutureImpl.run1(TaskFutureImpl.java:340)
at oracle.sysman.gcagent.task.TaskFutureImpl.run(TaskFutureImpl.java:305)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:886)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:908)
at oracle.sysman.gcagent.util.system.GCAThread$RunnableWrapper.run(GCAThread.java:141)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:662)

Thanks in advance
Kosta
  • 1. Re: OEM 12c and OVM 3.2 storage problem
    madhup Newbie
    If you are seeing errors when accessing the Administration->Storage page in EM, it may be because the Oracle VM Manager is down or you have not correctly registered it with EM.

You said you are able to deploy the VM from OVM Manager, so looks like the OVM Manager infrastructure is stable and up.

When using EM 12.1.0.2 (Release 2) for managing Oracle VM 3.2.2 environments, please make sure that you are using the latest EM Plug-in for Oracle Virtualization 12.1.0.4 and EM Plug-in for Oracle Cloud 12.1.0.5. Follow the My Oracle Support note 1371536.1 to update to the latest plug-ins and ensure that the required patches are applied.
  • 2. Re: OEM 12c and OVM 3.2 storage problem
    Kosta2 Newbie
    Thanks for quick response,

All plug-ins are on suggested version. (EM Plug-in for Oracle Virtualization 12.1.0.4 and EM Plug-in for Oracle Cloud 12.1.0.5).
    I missed the support note 1371536.1. So I will install all patches from note and then I will update this thread soon as possible.

Regards,
    Kosta
  • 3. Re: OEM 12c and OVM 3.2 storage problem
    Kosta2 Newbie
    All patches from note 1371536.1 are applied, but the problem remains.

Any other suggestions?

Br,
    Kosta
  • 4. Re: OEM 12c and OVM 3.2 storage problem
    530617 Newbie
    EM VT plugin 12.1.0.4 didn't support multiple access descriptors for storage array. Hence this error. Can yo try configuring single access host for your storage array and proceed.

Thanks
    Raman
  • 5. Re: OEM 12c and OVM 3.2 storage problem
    Kosta2 Newbie
    Hi Raman,

Thanks for your response.

I didn't know about this limitation of the EM VT plug-in 12.1.0.4.
    In our scenario we are using EMC storage. This storage has two storage processors and each storage processor have two different network interfaces. In this case every LUN on storage is visible thru 4 paths. Accessing storage thru only one access server is not acceptable, single failure on storage processor or network can collapse entire infrastructure.
    Any way this is just a test environment and we are in a process of evaluating of several virtualization and cloud software. I hope this problem in plug-in will be fixed.

Thanks again
    Kosta
  • 6. Re: OEM 12c and OVM 3.2 storage problem
    530617 Newbie
    This problem will be fixed in the next version of the plugin.

Thanks
    Raman
  • 7. Re: OEM 12c and OVM 3.2 storage problem
    Kosta2 Newbie

Hi,

I installed the newest version of EM 12.1.0.3 (VT plugin is 12.1.0.5.) and upgrade the OVM Manager to 3.2.3.

Now situation is better: I can access the repository storage page in EM, repository is fully managed (with previous version of plug-in managing repository was impossible), but problem with provisioning VT machine still remain. Provisioning job end with Failed status. In job log I found the following error:

Failed to Map the storage elementoracle.sysman.vt.ovm.integration.api.EMOVMCommunicationServiceException: 5022: Error getting Storage Servers.[com.oracle.ovm.mgr.api.exception.IllegalOperationException:OVMAPI_7271E Single access operation: "getAccessHost", is not allowed. The iSCSI storage array: SAN-ISCSI-MTX, has multiple access descriptors. [Mon Jul 22 14:49:18 CEST 2013]]

at oracle.sysman.vt.ovm.integration.core.StorageManagerImpl.getStorageServer(StorageManagerImpl.java:1096)

at oracle.sysman.vt.ovm.integration.core.StorageManagerImpl.getApplicableStorageServers(StorageManagerImpl.java:2909)

at oracle.sysman.vt.ovm.integration.core.StorageManagerImpl.getApplicableStorageServers(StorageManagerImpl.java:2979)

at oracle.sysman.vt.ovm.integration.core.DeploymentManagerImpl.fullfillPlacement(DeploymentManagerImpl.java:601)

at oracle.sysman.vt.ovm.integration.core.DeploymentManagerImpl.cloneSourceConfig(DeploymentManagerImpl.java:3417)

at oracle.sysman.vt.ovm.integration.core.DeploymentManagerImpl.cloneSourceConfig(DeploymentManagerImpl.java:3276)

at oracle.sysman.vt.ovm.integration.core.DeploymentManagerImpl.createVmFromTemplate(DeploymentManagerImpl.java:996)

at oracle.sysman.vt.fetchlet.pojo.OVMDataFetchletUtil.executeOperation(OVMDataFetchletUtil.java:265)

at oracle.sysman.vt.fetchlet.pojo.OVMDataFetchletUtil.executeOperation(OVMDataFetchletUtil.java:144)

at oracle.sysman.vt.fetchlet.pojo.OVMDataFetchletUtil.executeOperation(OVMDataFetchletUtil.java:72)

at oracle.sysman.vt.fetchlet.pojo.AsyncOVMWrapper.main(AsyncOVMWrapper.java:126)

Exception occurred : oracle.sysman.vt.ovm.integration.api.EMOVMCommunicationServiceException: 1401: Error while performing the operation:  Could not create the clone storage map

Invoke cleanup VM ...

Entered cleanupVM ...

Cleanup is Required.

VMUUID is null or empty

Obviously, all problems with accessing storage thru multiple access servers is not completely fixed.

Regards,

Kosta

• 8. Re: OEM 12c and OVM 3.2 storage problem
    Iko Newbie

Could you provide your EM and OVM env for checking?

What's the OVS version for your env? What storage plugin is used for your storage server?

Thanks,

Iko

• 9. Re: OEM 12c and OVM 3.2 storage problem
    Kosta2 Newbie

Hi Iko,

Thanks for replay

EM is installed on Oracle Linux 5.9, repository installed in Oracle DB 11.2.0.3

OVM is installed on Oracle Linux 6.3, repository installed in Oracle DB 11.2.0.3

Regards,

Kosta

• 10. Re: OEM 12c and OVM 3.2 storage problem
    Iko Newbie

May I login in your EM and OVM env and checking?

Thanks,

Iko

• 11. Re: OEM 12c and OVM 3.2 storage problem
    Kosta2 Newbie

Hi Iko,

Sorry, the company policy does not aloud me to do this. To aloud some one out of company to access local system I need to prepare special environment and plus tons of paper work (approval from security officer, managers).

Can you give me a list of info's you need and I will collect them.

Regards,

Kosta

• 12. Re: OEM 12c and OVM 3.2 storage problem
    Iko Newbie

Please provide Storage Plugin(name, version) information for your EMC Storage Server, and also the OVS server version.

Thanks,

Iko

• 13. Re: OEM 12c and OVM 3.2 storage problem
    Iko Newbie

Better to give a screeshot of Storage Server information from OVM side.

Thanks,

Iko

• 14. Re: OEM 12c and OVM 3.2 storage problem
    Kosta2 Newbie

Hi Iko,

I use generic SCSI plugin.
    Storage server is EMC VMAX.
    All Virtual servers are on version 3.2.3.521

Screen shot of Storage server from OVM: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B2oB7B1h0wo_aXk5UmxuNF8tbkE/edit?usp=sharing

Disk with name EMC20GB is used for server pool.

Disk with name EMC500GB is used as a repository.

Regard,

Kosta

1 2 Previous Next

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points