4 Replies Latest reply: Jul 25, 2013 6:19 AM by wolfesteinabhi RSS

Problem with Migrating Forms 6i to APEX 4.2.1 or 4.2.2

wolfesteinabhi

There is a problem with Migration Project within APEX, when you try to upload the _fmb.xml forms in the Migration project and try to verify the "Program Units", if you have Program Units more than 4000 chars as in my case you are not able to verify the meta data for it. Also on the same note, i am not able to create application from the migration profile since it APEX does not allow the Program UNITS to be above 4000 chars. seems some temporary column in APEX is defined by VarChar2 !??

Can this be rectified!? or if there is some workaround without making changes in the original Forms!?  ..i have a lot of them to migrate.

• 1. Re: Problem with Migrating Forms 6i to APEX 4.2.1 or 4.2.2
          Hilary

Hi,

You mention that you'd like to verify the metadata for the program units that are imported from the XML file.  Is the issue you're hitting when you navigate to the 'Program Unit Details' page (pg 4400:75)?  Given that program units are not included in the conversion process, I would not expect you to hit an issue relating to those components during the application creation process.  Could you please post the syntax of any errors you are encountering, so I can carry out some further investigation.

In the meantime, your easiest option may be to remove those program units from your XML file prior to importing the file, seeing as those components aren't incorporated in the application being generated.

Regards,

Hilary

• 2. Re: Problem with Migrating Forms 6i to APEX 4.2.1 or 4.2.2
            wolfesteinabhi

Hi Hilary

Thanks for the reply.

Yes the problem i get is when i try to navigate to Program Units but the page is 4400:69   ( http://localhost:8080/apex/f?p=4400:69 )

ORA-06502: PL/SQL: numeric or value error: character string buffer too small

OR

ORA-22835: Buffer too small for CLOB to CHAR or BLOB to RAW conversion (actual: 9529, maximum: 4000)

even if i skip navigating to Program Unit details and try to create the app, it ends up in the same error as above. I get either of the 2 messages.

As for the workaround, i am hoping for not to edit the XML's manually, as there is a chance then too much info might get removed by mistake or something, but I will give it a try. is there anything i should make sure while removing Program Units from XML? i mean should some other tags be removed or closed?

********************** EDIT *******************

I just now tried removing PU's for one of the forms and and now there are no PU's shown in MIgration Project, however when i try to create the application, it still throws below error:

Error processing validation.

ORA-06502: PL/SQL: numeric or value error: character string buffer too small

Seems there are more than 1 problem here. I have noticed that i have about 3 to 4 triggers in this form which are above 4000 chars, However i am able to view and confirm them fine. not sure if these triggers could also be a problem ..coz of size?

Thanks and Regards

Calvin

• 3. Re: Problem with Migrating Forms 6i to APEX 4.2.1 or 4.2.2
              Hilary

Hi Calvin,

Thanks for the update.  If possible, would you mind forwarding a copy of your XML file to oracle-application-express_ww@oracle.com, and please include a link to this thread and also mark it for my attention, so it will be correctly redirected.  I'd like to carry out some further investigation, and using your XML file could greatly assist in identifying a solution for the issue you're hitting.

Thanks,

Hilary

• 4. Re: Problem with Migrating Forms 6i to APEX 4.2.1 or 4.2.2
                wolfesteinabhi

Hi Hilary

I am not sure if i can share the complete source with you, but if you can guide me on what points you would like to check, and i can analyse those parts and get back to you and would share some bits and pieces of that. i will try though if i can send you the complete XML or with some cosmetic modifications in it, but will take some time before i can do that.

Thanks and Regards

Calvin