1 person found this helpful
It is technically possible to have both Forms/Reports 10 and Forms/Reports 11 on the same machine. However, I would not recommend it. In order for this to work, you need to have a working knowledge of how the Operating System works. If you do not, you will have issues. One of the most significant issues is that some of the file names between the versions are the same. This means that if the system PATH points to version 11 (first in the list) then attempt to do something with version 10 likely will not work and visa-versa. Also, because of this you will not be able to use both versions at the same time.
As mentioned, I would not recommend this unless you are very familiar with the OS where the products are installed.
My recommendation is that you install Forms/Reports 10 in a virtual environment, separate of the host that will have version 11. For example, you can use Oracle Virtual Box to create a virtual environment with Windows XP, which is a perfect OS for hosting Developer Suite 10. Alternatively to using Oracle Virtual Box, you could consider Microsoft XP Mode if you are not using Windows 7 Home Edition. As far as I know, it is still free to customers using Win 7 Pro.
thanks . Can I use Oracle Virtual Box to create a virtual environment with Windows XP and install Oracle® Fusion Middleware Forms ?
You can install XP and Forms/Reports 11 on Virtual Box. However, because the system requirements (specifically RAM) are much greater for version 11 than for 10, I would recommend the following if you choose to do this:
- Be sure to use XP 32bit
- When creating the VM, be sure to set the RAM size to at least 3 gig (do not exceed 4). This means the host should have at least 6-8 gig of RAM
- Be sure to assign a static IP address to the XP installation as this will be needed before attempting the WLS and Forms/Reports installation.
- Be sure to carefully review the Installation Guide and System Requirements guide before starting. (Forms/Reports 184.108.40.206 Documentation Library)
- Use Forms/Reports 220.127.116.11 and not older versions. During the installation, choose the "Development" installation type. This will help to reduce the demand on system RAM.
- It will be important to understand that such an installation is intended for single user, development use only. You should not attempt to deploy a multi-user application from this environment.
More information about Oracle Forms (including downloads) can be found on the Forms area of the Oracle Technology Network