This discussion is archived
5 Replies Latest reply: Jul 24, 2013 10:15 AM by B_rian RSS

11g and 12c on same machine

B_rian Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

Hello,

I currently have an 11g installation on a solaris 10 (x86) machine.  I have sifted through some forum posts/articles regarding having 2 separate installations (10g and 11g).  I wanted to know if I create a new oracle base and oracle home and run the installer+scripts at the end if it will conflict with the 11g installation.  Manual configuration is fine after I have run the installer+scripts.  I just don't want anything over written automatically during installation in common folders (/var/opt/oracle for example) that could cause the 11g installation to go offline or not come back on line if I reboot the machine.

Thanks.

• 1. Re: 11g and 12c on same machine
    EdStevens Guru

d1c1fac5-6cd2-4adb-8ae2-bbc547552189 wrote:

Hello,

I currently have an 11g installation on a solaris 10 (x86) machine.  I have sifted through some forum posts/articles regarding having 2 separate installations (10g and 11g).  I wanted to know if I create a new oracle base and oracle home and run the installer+scripts at the end if it will conflict with the 11g installation.  Manual configuration is fine after I have run the installer+scripts.  I just don't want anything over written automatically during installation in common folders (/var/opt/oracle for example) that could cause the 11g installation to go offline or not come back on line if I reboot the machine.

Thanks.

I've not looked at anything related to 12g, but it has been a fundamental of Oracle since at least v7 that multiple versions co-exist by simply installing each into its own ORACLE_HOME directory.  I'd be shocked if 12g were any different in this regard.

What does the fine Installation Guide say?

• 2. Re: 11g and 12c on same machine
    B_rian Newbie

Yea, from my understanding of the documentation it should go as smooth as butter. Just thought I would post so I don't get blind sided by something I didn't foresee and end up with a database offline and no idea why.  My plan is to follow the per-installation guide, although most of it has already been performed for the previous install (11g).  Then perform the install and run the scripts.  I looked over the scripts and it appears they write to some common folders (/var/opt/oracle for example).  The issue I am having is the disk that has the current installation does not have room to install another db on.  I am creating a new directory on another drive to do the complete installation there.  The whole sharing of the oracle base (u01) is not possible at the moment, so I was afraid that might cause some issues.

Thanks

• 3. Re: 11g and 12c on same machine
    Srini Chavali-Oracle Oracle ACE Director

I echo Ed's comments - I too have not worked with 12c yet, but installing 12c in a separate directory should cause no issues with your 11g install. The only "commonality" would be using a single listener in the 12c HOME for all of your databases (incl 11g)

HTH
    Srini

• 4. Re: 11g and 12c on same machine
    EdStevens Guru

d1c1fac5-6cd2-4adb-8ae2-bbc547552189 wrote:

Yea, from my understanding of the documentation it should go as smooth as butter. Just thought I would post so I don't get blind sided by something I didn't foresee and end up with a database offline and no idea why.  My plan is to follow the per-installation guide, although most of it has already been performed for the previous install (11g).  Then perform the install and run the scripts.  I looked over the scripts and it appears they write to some common folders (/var/opt/oracle for example).  The issue I am having is the disk that has the current installation does not have room to install another db on.  I am creating a new directory on another drive to do the complete installation there.  The whole sharing of the oracle base (u01) is not possible at the moment, so I was afraid that might cause some issues.

Thanks

Do you not have a test system?  This is the very reason I have a copy of Virtual Box on my desktop.  If I need to test something that I'm afraid would have a negative impact on our "test" systems (which are "production" to a developer) I first work it out on a virtual machine on my own workstation.

• 5. Re: 11g and 12c on same machine
    B_rian Newbie

Yes, this is actually on our dev server. I will probably proceed with a local install before moving to the dev server to ensure nothing that I am not already aware of changes.

Thanks.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points