13 Replies Latest reply: Jul 24, 2013 12:47 PM by revo1059 RSS

Oracle 12c questions

revo1059

After poking around I couldn't find any clear answers so......

1) Will Oracle release a 32bit client (client only). I've read that the DB in 32bit is not happening.

2) Can a 11gR2 client be used on a 12c DB without issue (since 11gR2 has a 32bit client)?

I know this may be way to early, but is there any word on a 12x XE?

• 1. Re: Oracle 12c questions
          Srini Chavali-Oracle

Pl post OS for which you are wanting the client for. The 32-bit 12c Linux client is at Oracle Database 12c Release 1 for Linux x86-64</title><meta name="Title" content="Oracle Databas…

You should be able to use the 11gR2 client on a 12c DB - see MOS Doc 207303.1

HTH
          Srini

• 2. Re: Oracle 12c questions
            revo1059

Oops, missed that.

32bit Windows client.

• 3. Re: Oracle 12c questions
              dccase

1.  Yes, they have released a 32-bit Windows client.  You can find it on the same download page as the Windows 64-bit server.

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/enterprise-edition/downloads/database12c-win64-download-1968077.html

I have zero inside knowledge about XE, but if it follows historical patterns, I wouldn't expect a 12c XE until at least a year after 12c R2.

• 4. Re: Oracle 12c questions
                revo1059

Wow, they really bury it in there.......Thanks

• 5. Re: Oracle 12c questions
                  rp0428

revo1059 wrote:

Nonsense - it isn't 'buried' at all. It is right there listed under the 'Client' heading.

>

2) Can a 11gR2 client be used on a 12c DB without issue (since 11gR2 has a 32bit client)?

>

Of course.

• 6. Re: Oracle 12c questions
                    revo1059

Thanks for the arrogant attitude, you can leave this thread now and go show someone else your vast knowledge. Goodbye.

• 7. Re: Oracle 12c questions
                      rp0428

I have no idea what you are even talking about. All I did was answer one of the questions that you ask and let other forum users know that the information you ask for isn't 'buried' but is easy to find on that page in the 'Client' section. So you missed seeing it; so what. Don't get so upset at yourself.

As for your other question I have tested and used an 11gR2 client with the 12c database for several months now and it works just fine. Who better to validate what Srini said than I?

The current sql developer 3.2.20.09 works just fine with 12c also.

Keep in mind that this is a public forum and is here to help everyone, not just you. Neither you, nor other posters, have ANY say at all in who responds to the threads posted here. If you don't want people to answer your questions don't post them in a public forum.

The only one in this thread that appears to have a 'tude' is you and you can easily correct that yourself if you choose to.

If you really want to say goodbye you should now mark your thread ANSWERED since it has been.

• 8. Re: Oracle 12c questions
                        revo1059

I don't need to be told "nonsense". I thought it was not marked very clearly. If you didn't that's your opinion.

then your response of "of course" to the 11g compatibility issue. Maybe for you it was common knowledge but for me it was not, that's why I asked.

• 9. Re: Oracle 12c questions
                          jgarry

rp0428 wrote:

revo1059 wrote:

Nonsense - it isn't 'buried' at all. It is right there listed under the 'Client' heading.

You mean where it says

Oracle Database 12c Release 1 Client (12.1.0.1.0) for Microsoft Windows (x64)

What's the x64 all about then?

• 10. Re: Oracle 12c questions
                            revo1059

Thanks. Looks like I'm not the only one.

• 11. Re: Oracle 12c questions
                              rp0428

jgarry wrote:

rp0428 wrote:

revo1059 wrote:

You mean where it says

What's the x64 all about then?

Yes - that is the 'Client' heading I was referring to when I said "under the 'Client' heading.

And this is both the heading and what is 'under' it

>

winx64_12c_client.zip (64-bit) (915,831,969 bytes) (cksum - 1942674825)
                                 winnt_12c_client32.zip (32-bit) (893,286,390 bytes) (cksum - 3406085316)

Contains the Oracle Client Libraries for Linux. Download if you want the client libraries only 

>

There is a 64 bit client offering and a 32 bit client offering.

Execute a simple search on that page for the word 'client' and the first occurence on the page takes you to the 'heading' and the two downloads available are listed right under it. On my pc the occurences of word 'client' (there are six on the page) are highlighted in yellow making them pretty easy to see.

Or you can just search for 'client' again and the third occurence will land you on the 32-bit download offering.

That doesn't strike me as being 'buried' - nothing was done to 'hide' or 'obscure' its presence. Once search and you are taken right to that section with the search term highlighted. Not sure what else Oracle or anyone could do to make it any clearer.

The 'Microsoft Windows (x64)' in that Client heading refers to the Oracle database: the 64 bit version for the Windows platform.
                              So that section lists the Windows 64 bit and the 32 bit client as being for the Windows 64 bit Oracle database.

• 12. Re: Oracle 12c questions
                                jgarry

rp0428 wrote:

That doesn't strike me as being 'buried' - nothing was done to 'hide' or 'obscure' its presence. Once search and you are taken right to that section with the search term highlighted. Not sure what else Oracle or anyone could do to make it any clearer.

The 'Microsoft Windows (x64)' in that Client heading refers to the Oracle database: the 64 bit version for the Windows platform.
                                So that section lists the Windows 64 bit and the 32 bit client as being for the Windows 64 bit Oracle database.

That's the ambiguity, one has to magically know the term 'Microsoft Windows (x64)' is referring to an Oracle db, and not, say, some Microsoft thing like an operating system.  Putting the term with the quotes into google might be illustrative.  Even the Oracle instant client hit that shows up isn't clear.

Any newbie that posted here without specifying explicitly what a term like that applied to would be flamed too.

• 13. Re: Oracle 12c questions
                                  revo1059

In the end your original post was useless (as my questions had already been answered) and insulting.