This discussion is archived
2 Replies Latest reply: Jul 26, 2013 6:00 AM by rukbat RSS

/var filesystem full according to df but not du command? How do you resolve this?

user10980710 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

Environment is a 2 node cluster, one node is running Oracle DB and the other running Oracle AS. Node running Oracle AS has /var of about 9.9G. /var is an independent filesystem and not part of /. After rebooting or when there are no users accessing the application, /var is about 2.4G and this is reflected on both df and du commands. But afew minutes into application usage and that shoots up to 100% capacity utilization reflected in df -h command output but du still hovers around 2.4G. I know to resolve this scenario you look for open but deleted files i.e. files with a link count of 0 using

find /proc/*/fd -type f -links 0 | xargs du -k | sort -n

They are binary files, application related I suppose but when I view them with cat command I get to make out a few details in plain text. I decided to delete one as a test case and see if it affected any real data, surprisingly it did. How is this possible if link count is zero? Has anyone experienced such a scenario before? I can't apply the resolution to this problem without affecting data so am in quite a fix

Note: I know nothing about Oracle AS

• 1. Re: /var filesystem full according to df but not du command? How do you resolve this?
    EdStevens Guru

user10980710 wrote:

Environment is a 2 node cluster, one node is running Oracle DB and the other running Oracle AS.

That's not a cluster.  That's simply two different servers, each with its own distinct function.

Node running Oracle AS has /var of about 9.9G. /var is an independent filesystem and not part of /. After rebooting or when there are no users accessing the application, /var is about 2.4G and this is reflected on both df and du commands. But afew minutes into application usage and that shoots up to 100% capacity utilization reflected in df -h command output but du still hovers around 2.4G. I know to resolve this scenario you look for open but deleted files i.e. files with a link count of 0 using

find /proc/*/fd -type f -links 0 | xargs du -k | sort -n

They are binary files, application related I suppose but when I view them with cat command I get to make out a few details in plain text. I decided to delete one as a test case and see if it affected any real data, surprisingly it did. How is this possible if link count is zero? Has anyone experienced such a scenario before? I can't apply the resolution to this problem without affecting data so am in quite a fix

Note: I know nothing about Oracle AS

So where is the ASM question here? (This is the ASM forum).  Looks to me like this would be better addressed in a Linux forum, of which there are several on the Web, both within OTN and outside.

• 2. Re: /var filesystem full according to df but not du command? How do you resolve this?
    rukbat Guru Moderator

Moderator Comments and Action:

Since it suddenly appeared in the Sun Servers forum space on its original date of posting, this thread has been moved to the ASM space (thinking it weas an ASM question), and then back to the Sun Servers space again.

The Sun Servers space is for HARDWARE questions on Sun/Oracle HARDWARE.

This is an utterly software inquiry about what now seems to be two different systems using some secret OS on each.

It appears that the distinct lack of good initial information has left it floating all over the place.

The thread has now being moved (yet again), this time to the Generic Linux forum space.

To Original Poster:  Provide more fundamental information else you'll never get usable replies.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points