4 Replies Latest reply: Aug 5, 2013 12:04 PM by pawii RSS

extent management

pawii

i had two database 10gr2

first one is prod second one is test for the prod database the compatible parameter is set to 9.2.0 

and for test it is set to 10.0.0

i created tablespace in prod

create tablespace prod1 datafile '/u01/app/oradata/prod/prod1.dbf' size 1gb extent management local;

in test database i created tablespace

create tablespace test01 datafile '/u01/app/oradata/test1/test01.dbf' size 2gb;

which statements are true regarding this tablespaces?

1. a bigfile tablespace can not be created in  prod database as its compatibility is set to 9.2.0

2.tablespace in test will be locally managed by default as its compatibility is set to 10.0.0

3.all tablespace in prod will be dictionary managed by default?

i suspect that only 3 is wrong

• 1. Re: extent management
          Hemant K Chitale

You could lookup the 10g SQL documentation on the CREATE TABLESPACE command.

Hemant K Chitale

• 2. Re: extent management
            EdStevens

pawii wrote:

i had two database 10gr2

first one is prod second one is test for the prod database the compatible parameter is set to 9.2.0

and for test it is set to 10.0.0

i created tablespace in prod

create tablespace prod1 datafile '/u01/app/oradata/prod/prod1.dbf' size 1gb extent management local;

in test database i created tablespace

create tablespace test01 datafile '/u01/app/oradata/test1/test01.dbf' size 2gb;

which statements are true regarding this tablespaces?

1. a bigfile tablespace can not be created in  prod database as its compatibility is set to 9.2.0

2.tablespace in test will be locally managed by default as its compatibility is set to 10.0.0

3.all tablespace in prod will be dictionary managed by default?

i suspect that only 3 is wrong

Looks like a test question.

As an exercise for the student and also get truly useful help from the forum, you could use the documentation at tahiti.oracle.com and cite a quotation that either confirms or refutes each statement in turn.  Then, explain what you understand or don't understand about each citation.  At that point the real gurus will be more than happy to clarify what you are having difficulty with.  Such an approach will be far more valuable and beneficial to your career development that for someone to simply reply "yes, yes, no"  (or whatever -- DISCLAIMER:  MY USE OF "YES, YES, NO" IS MEANT AS AN EXAMPLE.  I JUST PULLED THOSE OUT OF THE AIR.  THEY ARE NOT INTENDED TO BE THE CORRECT ANSWERS"

• 3. Re: extent management
              Aman....

How about you make two databases and test the questions by yourself? Wouldn't take more than half an hour to do so.

Aman....

• 4. Re: extent management
                pawii

hmm you are correct instead of yes and no i should do it practically