This discussion is archived
1 2 Previous Next 20 Replies Latest reply: Jul 28, 2013 10:12 PM by yxes2013 Go to original post RSS
  • 15. Re: Rebuild WinXP oracle services?
    rp0428 Guru
    Currently Being Moderated

Recreate the listener service

>

create myListenerName binPath= "/myOracleHomePath/BIN/TNSLSNR.exe"

There is no create command in windows???

You miscopied what I posted. This is what I posted:

sc create myListenerName binPath= "/myOracleHomePath/BIN/TNSLSNR.exe"

You use the 'sc' (service create) utility. That utility has the 'create' command.

• 16. Re: Rebuild WinXP oracle services?
    EdStevens Guru

JohnWatson wrote:

EdStevens wrote:

So your starting point for this brand new app is a database product that is no longer supported by its vendor, on an OS that is no longer supported by its vendor ....

Sweet ....

Can someone explain the repeated references on this forum to database releases being unsupported? Of course we all know that DB10.2 is in extended support at the moment and goes into sustaining support at the end of the month. That means no more patches (not even for regulatory or security reasons). It doesn't mean "unsupported". At least, not to me.

I hope no-one will take this the wrong way: I am just asking what they mean by it.

I'm really not sure how the contractual arrangements work when dealing with 'extended' and 'sustaining' support.  What I do know  is that I currently have 2 databases still running at 10.2 , my organization does not have an extended support contract on them and if I try to locate and download a known patch, I can't even get the time of day.  It was difficult for me to even get a Sev4 Information Request answered, explaining that I couldn't get the patch because we don't have an extended support contract.  We do have current support contracts under several CSIs for 11.2.

Perhaps I need to review the license and support documentation and my current CSI position.  Perhaps there's still something I've overlooked.

• 17. Re: Rebuild WinXP oracle services?
    JohnWatson Guru

EdStevens wrote:

<snip>

I'm really not sure how the contractual arrangements work when dealing with 'extended' and 'sustaining' support.  What I do know  is that I currently have 2 databases still running at 10.2 , my organization does not have an extended support contract on them and if I try to locate and download a known patch, I can't even get the time of day.  It was difficult for me to even get a Sev4 Information Request answered, explaining that I couldn't get the patch because we don't have an extended support contract.  We do have current support contracts under several CSIs for 11.2.

Perhaps I need to review the license and support documentation and my current CSI position.  Perhaps there's still something I've overlooked.

Fair enough. Your problem is not that 10.2 is unsupported, it is that you do not have a 10.2 support contract. I think quite a few organizations try to save money by not buying support for the older releases.

• 18. Re: Rebuild WinXP oracle services?
    rp0428 Guru

Here is the Oracle page that discusses the Oracle LIfetime Support Policies

http://www.oracle.com/us/support/lifetime-support/index.html

Sustaining Support

Maximizes your investment protection by providing maintenance for as long as you use your Oracle software. Features include access to Oracle online support tools, upgrade rights, pre-existing fixes and assistance from technical support experts.

• 19. Re: Rebuild WinXP oracle services?
    EdStevens Guru

JohnWatson wrote:

EdStevens wrote:

<snip>

Fair enough. Your problem is not that 10.2 is unsupported, it is that you do not have a 10.2 support contract. I think quite a few organizations try to save money by not buying support for the older releases.

Perhaps the "stock caveat" should be more on the lines of ..

"Oracle 10g is on its last legs.  With the recent release of 12c, it is now two generations behind.  You may find support problematic and attached with a strong emphasis on 'you need to upgrade'."

• 20. Re: Rebuild WinXP oracle services?
    yxes2013 Newbie

As for me, since I know our oracle 10g  very well already , it does not matter if there is no support as long as we have the installer. Our apps are very stable with it and does not show any bug ever since. As long as the server hardware allows it to run, then it will stay forever. Thankss

1 2 Previous Next

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points