This discussion is archived
1 2 3 4 5 Previous Next 64 Replies Latest reply: Aug 8, 2013 3:02 AM by BluShadow Go to original post RSS
  • 15. Re: the points! where are they?
    Timo Hahn Oracle ACE
    Currently Being Moderated

Sorry to say, but with 1000 points you are not a Guru, not in the old and not in the new forum.

Anyway, the points have been messed up during the forum upgrade and have been fixed last Friday. The points you see right now are the points you have. No need to ask for more as there is no way to change the points individually.

Don't look back, work from the points you have and help others which will may be increase your points again.

Timo

• 16. Re: the points! where are they?
    Dude! Guru

Sorry, no idea. If you can prove your previous amount of points you might have a valid concern. If I remember correctly, it was said prior to the forum upgrade that some people could loose points as old threads are being archived and removed for performance reasons.

• 17. Re: the points! where are they?
    LT.ora Explorer

and how can I prove I had that points ?

• 18. Re: the points! where are they?
    Mr Nitin-Oracle Explorer

When I go to

LT.ora

and then under activity and kept on scanning, I found the following:

Correct answers:

https://forums.oracle.com/message/10411051

https://forums.oracle.com/message/11088189

https://forums.oracle.com/message/10532724

Helpful answer:

Re: oracle froms where libraries attached

So 10*3 (correct answer) + 5*1 (helpful answer) = 35.

As mentioned previously, there was an issue with the points and this has been fixed.

• 19. Re: the points! where are they?
    LT.ora Explorer

that's all ? since I was member ?

anywayz if Gurus have lost so much ...

• 20. Re: the points! where are they?
    BluShadow Guru Moderator

As I understand it, it's like Dude says, when the upgrade took place, some inactive forums were removed/archived, as were some old threads that had not even been viewed in a long time.  I'm not sure of the exact criteria that admin used, but it was common sense to try and tidy things up.  As the points have been 'fixed' by recalculating everyones correct/helpful answers (which is sort of how I believe it was done) then this will be on all remaining threads/discussions and likely excludes the archived ones.  The tidying up of old threads is more likely to have effected older members who were around at the time of those threads, and less likely the newer members, as they wouldn't have been active on such threads.

So, you reckon you had around 160 points and now you're down to 35.  That means you would need about 125 points to get back to where you thought you were.  So, if you can be active enough to produce about 12 correct answers you'll soon be back to where you were.  Looking at your profile it appears that you've made about 47 posts since you joined (if it's showing it correctly), so 160 points would indicate that about 1 in 3 of your posts were correct answers.  That would be pretty good going even for the long time experts/gurus on the forum as, even though they do provide correct answers, actually getting people to mark things as correct is another challenge.  I would estimate, from experience, that perhaps only 1 in 10 posts a member makes (if they're providing valuable and good information) will actually get marked as helpful or correct... so 35 points would probably seem reasonable for that number of posts.

My advice is to not worry about it... just keep contributing and show your worth that way. 

• 21. Re: the points! where are they?
    Sher Ullah Baig Explorer

i lost 225 point. from journey to Explore ... i dont see bug is fixed...

• 22. Re: the points! where are they?
    Mr Nitin-Oracle Explorer

The points are correct now reflecting the following scenario:

- Correct answer - 10 points

- Helpful answer - 5 points

There was a bug during migration in which points were added to users profile.

These are now being reflected accurately.

• 23. Re: the points! where are they?
    BluShadow Guru Moderator

SherUllahBaig wrote:

i lost 225 point. from journey to Explore ... i dont see bug is fixed...

As the other member, if I look at your profile it looks like you have made around 82 posts.  You say you have lost 225 points which suggests you had 300 points (based on your current points).  300 points would suggest you had around 30 correct answers or 60 helpful answers.  That would be a high percentage of your 82 posts getting marked as correct/helpful (between 1 in 3 and 1 in 2).  I think the 75 points you now have is more correct based on the 1 in 10 estimation.

As nlachwan says, the forum upgrade added many points to people for no good reason (I myself was awarded an extra 15,000 or so), and now that has been corrected, so people may see their points go down (I've had those 15,000+ points now removed again), but that is correct and reflects what you have actually been awarded.  So the bug is generally fixed as far as I can see.

• 24. Re: the points! where are they?
    LT.ora Explorer

Yep BluShadow

My advice is to not worry about it... just keep contributing and show your worth that way. 

I like that

• 25. Re: the points! where are they?
    sonyabarry Guru Moderator

So the short version is that the number of points assigned to each activity by default was different in the old system and the new system, and none of us caught that during testing.  It's just an arithmetic algorithm that had the wrong values in it.  People's points are based entirely on post counts, correct and helpful answers, as they always have been.  Since different users have different mixes of plain posts, correct answers, and helpful answers in their histories, the fix that rolled out last week moved people in a different direction depending on how they earned them, whether or not it was in the new and old system.   We did not delete any content in the migration, and archiving posts as read-only does not change the post count credits for the original posters. 

• 26. Re: the points! where are they?
    LT.ora Explorer

sonyabarry does that mean ... still hopes ?

• 27. Re: the points! where are they?
    BluShadow Guru Moderator

sonyabarry wrote:

So the short version is that the number of points assigned to each activity by default was different in the old system and the new system, and none of us caught that during testing.  It's just an arithmetic algorithm that had the wrong values in it.  People's points are based entirely on post counts, correct and helpful answers, as they always have been.  Since different users have different mixes of plain posts, correct answers, and helpful answers in their histories, the fix that rolled out last week moved people in a different direction depending on how they earned them, whether or not it was in the new and old system.   We did not delete any content in the migration, and archiving posts as read-only does not change the post count credits for the original posters.

My mistake, I though you were going to remove old unread content.  I stand corrected.

Is it correct though that points are based on post counts?  I know the old-old forums the members status used to be entirely on post counts, and then the old forums changed that to the points system for correct/helpful answers.  I thought this new forum was also just for correct/helpful answers?

• 28. Re: the points! where are they?
    BluShadow Guru Moderator

LT.ora wrote:

sonyabarry does that mean ... still hopes ?

Still hopes what?  That you can get points where they aren't due?  Are you really that desperate for points? 

• 29. Re: the points! where are they?
    sonyabarry Guru Moderator

So, honestly, the switch from plain posts to helpful/correct happened before my time, and I'm assuming we're counting basic post counts in those numbers (otherwise newbies wouldn't have points at all, right?), and I've never paid attention to the arithmetic.  We made that switch a while back so we can be in alignment with MOSC whenever we manage to get both communities on the same platform. 

We were going to delete older content, and will have to eventually, but opted not to at migration.  I just ran up against a major research obstacle - the reliable data about what had actually been looked at by users only went back 2.5 years in Site Catalyst, and I didn't want to cut that deep.