0 Replies Latest reply: Jul 29, 2013 11:05 AM by lrp1 RSS

Can I Backup/Snap-off a Transportable Tablespace from a Physical Standby?DB: Oracle 11.1.0.7 Enterprise Edition (planning to upgrade to 11.2.0.3 very soon) ASM-file-storage Current configuration: Standalone DB, no dataguard. Expected Configuration: Datagu

lrp1

DB: Oracle 11.1.0.7 Enterprise Edition (planning to upgrade to 11.2.0.3 very soon)

ASM-file-storage

Current configuration: Standalone DB, no dataguard.

Expected Configuration: Dataguard with a single physical standby

Platform: Solaris 10 update 10, SPARC64-bit.

As described above, I have an Oracle DB standalone.

We archive off monthly data into its own tablespace (ie. TST_2013_07).  At the beginning of each month:

- we make last month's tablespace READ-ONLY

- take a transportable tablespace export of the previous month's tbsp

- use RMAN CONVERT to make 'export' of ASM datafiles into a temporary filesystem

- back the temporary filesystem datafiles up to tape for long-term retention

- DROP TABLESPACE TST_2013_07 INCLUDING CONTENTS AND DATAFILES;

We would like to move this setup to Dataguard with a single physical standby.

My question is:

- do we still need to do this transportable tablespace archiving off the primary master?

- could we insead take the transportable tablespace archiving process from the dataguard physical standby??

- if that were the case, how would we RE-PLUG-IN an archived tablespace that we pull from tape?

- my initial thoughts were that we would have to re-plug in the archived tablespace FROM THE PRIMARY side no matter where it was initially exported (primary or standby).

I've looked at some 11.2 documentation (9.3.3 Using Transportable Tablespaces with a Physical Standby Database), a blog post from Mr.Vargas, and a few forum posts but nothing that addressed by questions.