7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 30, 2013 8:47 AM by Hilary Farrell-Oracle

Line Chart Formatting

Billy
      Hi All,

I have created a line chart with 3 series. I have two questions :

1. My X-Axes brings back 96 rows to display but the only way to see all data is if I use a scroll bar on this axis. I have tried to increase the chart width from 700 to 1000 but this does not have the desired effect. Is there a way to display my data without using the scroll bar ?

2. Is it possible to have the area within a given series line to be shaded in a certain colour so that it is more visually effective ?

Thanks

Edited by: Billy on Aug 24, 2011 2:12 PM
        • 1. Re: Line Chart Formatting
          Billy -

I have a couple of questions for you. Have you tried turning the scroll bar off? I know that sounds a bit silly, but if you turn the scroll bar off, you will get all of the data within the data plot area. Turning the scrollbar on will allow you to effectively expand the data plot area.

I have thrown together an example to illustrate this.
          http://apex.oracle.com/pls/otn/f?p=28155:6

Secondly, your second question is a bit perplexing. For example, referring to the chart in my example above, do you want the green line to turn to yellow after it reaches a specific threshold or something like that? Please state more clearly what your desired outcome is. Or perhaps, give an example of when the line's color should be modified.

Thank you

Austin
          • 2. Re: Line Chart Formatting
            Billy
            Hi Austin,

Yes I have tried to turn off the scroll bar this does not result in all my 96 values (rows) being displayed in the X-Axis. Even your example does not show all values being displayed in the chart with no scroll bar (chart 1). Your chart with the scroll bar does allow more values on the X-Axis.

Please ignore my second question as I have acheived the desired result by using a bar instead on line to generate that particular series of data.

Thanks
            • 3. Re: Line Chart Formatting
              Billy -

I think I understand now. You want to show all X-axis values. Previously I thought you wanted to show all data point values.

To accomplish this, you could increase the width of your chart, rotate your labels, and/or use the Stagger labels feature.

Methods for implementing these are in the Anychart documentation

http://www.anychart.com/products/anychart/docs/xmlReference/index.html
              http://www.anychart.com/products/anychart/docs/users-guide/index.html

Ausitn
              • 4. Re: Line Chart Formatting
                Billy
                Hi Austin,

I have already tried this. Increasing the chart size from the default 700 and rotating the labels didn't display all 96 values on the x-axis.

I didn't try the stagger but will do to see if that makes a difference

Thanks
                • 5. Re: Line Chart Formatting
                  Billy -

If it were me, I would probably make the chart bigger, rotate the labels, and use the Stagger feature. 96 labels is a lot on a single axis. If the axis labels are not either in an Ordinal (1,2,3, or Jan, Feb, Mar, etc..) or Interval (0-5, 6-10, etc.) order, that is, they are in a Nominal (North, South, East, West) or Heirarchical (State, City, etc.) order, then perhaps a line graph is not the appropriate display mechanism.

Austin
                  • 6. Re: Line Chart Formatting
                    ShaneB

I have thrown together an example to illustrate this.
                    http://apex.oracle.com/pls/otn/f?p=28155:6

Can you tell me how you did this?  I am attempting to add scroll bars to a chart and do not see any setting in the chart attributes to do it.  We are on ApEx 4.2.1 and I have a HTML5 bar chart with five series.  I must be missing something obvious.

Shane.

• 7. Re: Line Chart Formatting
                      Hilary Farrell-Oracle

Hi Shane,

The reason you don't see the "Show Scrollbar" option for your chart is because scrolling is not currently supported by HTML 5 charts, and so that option is not visible on the Chart Attributes page when you edit your chart.  See the section HTML5 Migration Guide in the AnyChart online documentation for the list of supported features.  Note that the scrolling option is listed as "zoom panel", because scrolling is controlled via the <zoom> tags in the chart XML, as outlined in the Zooming and Scrolling section of the AnyChart documentation.

So until AnyChart provide support for scrolling with HTML 5 charts, you'll need to use the Flash chart option.

Regards,

Hilary