This discussion is archived
2 Replies Latest reply: Jul 30, 2013 3:15 AM by A_zaza RSS

Upgrading from 10.2.0.5 to 11.2.0.3 - password concern

A_zaza Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

Servers:    Linux 5 & Windows 3 (seperate servers)

Database:   Oracle 10.2.0.5

Upgrade to: Oracle 11.2.0.3

Upgrade type: Inplace upgrade (DBUA) on same servers

I am about to start our Oracle Prodution database from Oracle 10g to 11g and get a quick question:

Will all database service accounts or usernames, or schema AND their passwords moved to the new environment?

I am mostly concern about the password. I don't want to change them in the new environment. We have hundreds of jobs from all over the world using these usernames and password and do't want to change them.

Example: Will username app_users and its password (PassWordF@rAll)

be usable in the new 11g environment?

Thanks,

Albert

• 1. Re: Upgrading from 10.2.0.5 to 11.2.0.3 - password concern
    Srini Chavali-Oracle Oracle ACE Director

Since the 11.2.0.3 binaries will need to be installed in  new ORACLE_HOME, the upgrade is not an "in-place" upgrade - I believe your definition of "in-place" is referring to the same physical servers.

As is best practice, all upgrades should undergo a test cycle to ensure that application functionality is not affected - Preparing to Upgrade Oracle Database

Oracle recommends to not use the @ character as part of passwords, as it can be misnterpreted - Keeping Your Oracle Database Secure. If you need to use the @ character, enclose the password on quotes when it is used. Stating with 11g, passwords are case sensitive - this option can be turned off - Configuring Authentication

It is best practice to follow all of the steps in the Upgrade Guide - Contents - all accounts, usernames, passwords etc will survive the upgrade - only thorough testing of the application can verify this.

HTH
    Srini

• 2. Re: Upgrading from 10.2.0.5 to 11.2.0.3 - password concern
    A_zaza Newbie

Thanks - really appreciate it.

Srini_Chavali wrote:

Since the 11.2.0.3 binaries will need to be installed in  new ORACLE_HOME, the upgrade is not an "in-place" upgrade - I believe your definition of "in-place" is referring to the same physical servers.

Actually - you are partially right, but not because I am upgrading on the same physical server, my inplace definition is because I am leaving all the datafiles in place - only the binaries will be installed in new home.

It is best practice to follow all of the steps in the Upgrade Guide - Contents - all accounts, usernames, passwords etc will survive the upgrade - only thorough testing of the application can verify this.

---Yes this is what I was looking for - I am going to start the testing process but just wanted to make sure I preserve the passwords.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points