This discussion is archived
6 Replies Latest reply: Jul 31, 2013 12:22 PM by Levi-Pereira RSS

Run "localconfig add" from ASM Home or RDBMS Home?

user130038 Pro
Currently Being Moderated

Hi

I am preparing a new Oracle server - Oracle 10gR2 on RHEL 5.8 64-bit. Here is what I have accomplished so far.

1. Install ASM Home
  2. Upgrade ASM Home to patchset 10.2.0.5 and apply 10.2.0.5.8 PSU
  3. Install RDBMS Home
  4. Upgrade RDBMS Home to patchset 10.2.0.5 and apply 10.2.0.5.8 PSU

Now the next step is to configure ASM using DBCA. So I set ORACLE_HOME to point to ASM Home (/u01/app/oracle/product/10.2.0/asm) and run "dbca". I select "Configure Automatic Storage Management" and press "Next". DBCA then asks me to run the following script as "root":

• /u01/app/oracle/product/10.2.0/db_1/bin/localconfig add

My question is why is DBCA asking me to run the "localconfig add" from the RDBMS Home? Is this the right thing? Should it not ask me to run "localconfig add" from ASM Home?

2nd question is: If whatever DBCA is asking for  is correct, what will happen if I run it from ASM Home? Just curious to know the side-effects for sake of knowledge.

Could someone please clarify this to me kindly?

Best regards

• 1. Re: Run "localconfig add" from ASM Home or RDBMS Home?
    Levi-Pereira Guru

The procedure to UPGRADE ASM is done using ASM_HOME

After apply patch on ASM_HOME.

Check the /etc/oratab to know where was installed ASM.

Now start DBUA (Database Upgrade Assistant ) from 10.2 ASM_HOME/bin

Select "upgrade ASM" to upgrade the ASM instance. 

Oracle cluster Synchronisation Services( CSS ) needs to be upgraded before upgrading  ASM instance or Database instance.When prompted by DBUA please run
    the script  ASM_HOME/bin/localconfig reset to upgrade CSS.

When DBUA is done DBUA will show you a summary screen of operation it going  to perform and once you confirm the same ASM instance will be upgraded.

• 2. Re: Run "localconfig add" from ASM Home or RDBMS Home?
    user130038 Pro

Hi Levi

Thank you for your response but I am not doing the upgrade.

I installed 10.2.0.1 ASM Home and then upgraded it to 10.2.0.5. The I did the same for RDBMS Home - installed 10.2.0.1 and then upgraded to 10.2.0.5.

There is no ASM instance on the server and neither is there any Database.

I am trying to create/configure ASM instance. So I set the ORACLE_HOME to ASM Home and run "dbca". The "dbca" is asking me to run the CSS script from "RDBMS Home" instead of "ASM Home". So I don't know if this is the right thing. Please read the details again in my previous post and advise.

Best regards

• 3. Re: Run "localconfig add" from ASM Home or RDBMS Home?
    Levi-Pereira Guru

Hi,

If there is any DBCA running stop it.

Set OH to ASM_HOME.

Create a Listener and configure network from ASM HOME, using NETCA.

Run localconfig from ASM_HOME.

Run DBCA from ASM_HOME and Create ASM Instance.

Just it.

• 4. Re: Run "localconfig add" from ASM Home or RDBMS Home?
    user130038 Pro

OK got it. I actually already stopped DBCA and then posted my question here. I will try these steps and update you - thank you so much!

Best regards

• 5. Re: Run "localconfig add" from ASM Home or RDBMS Home?
    user130038 Pro

Thanks you so much Levi - this worked perfectly!! I wonder if these steps/details are documented somewhere?

And just for the sake of my knowledge:

1st: what would have happened had I run the "localconfig add" from RDBMS Home?

2nd: What is the advantage of running/configuring the LISTENER in ASM HOME?

Thank you thank you thank you so much!!

Best regards

• 6. Re: Run "localconfig add" from ASM Home or RDBMS Home?
    Levi-Pereira Guru

1st: what would have happened had I run the "localconfig add" from RDBMS Home?

Localconfig create a deamon called  Oracle Cluster Synchronization Services (CSS).

It is configured to start every time the system boots. This daemon process is required to enable synchronization between Oracle Automatic Storage Management and database instances. It must be running if an Oracle database is using Automatic Storage Management for database file storage.

Running localconfig from RDBMS will create a CSS deamon and will work well since RDBMS home is the same release as ASM HOME where ASM Instance was configured.

As CSS is a ASM dependency. We create a CSS deamon using ASM HOME due compatibility and dependency of ASM version. e.g  ASM 10.2.0.4 need CSS 10.2.0.4.

2nd: What is the advantage of running/configuring the LISTENER in ASM HOME?

The release of the listener must be the same as or later than the latest release of all Oracle databases being serviced through the listener.

Compatibility Issue:

Oracle ASM must be the same or higher release than that of the Oracle database, so is recommended to create Listener using ASM HOME.

You are installing a unsupported version (10.2), I believe you have your reasons. On new version of ASM (11.2,12.1) which come into Grid Infrastrucuture, all listeners are configured under ASM_HOME.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points