3 Replies Latest reply: Aug 5, 2013 10:02 AM by user12273962 RSS

EBS R12 on 11.2.03 RAC Scan Listener and INSTANCE_NAME

user12273962

I am trying to get our test R12 instance to use the scan listener of a 2 node rac. Autocofig is failing and I've tracked it down to an issue with the tnsnames.ora file and the "instance_name" string. If I point the tnsnames file (by using the include file) to a database VIP of the rac node it works fine. Yet, if I point it to the scan listener and still use the "instance_name" connection string. It will fail. If I remove just the
      instance_name string it will work fine. The database instance_name matches what is the tnsnames file.

It appears the scan listener is not accepting the "instance_name" value. Has anyone seen this before. Here are the examples.

This works

TEST =

(DESCRIPTION =

(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = test-cluster-scan.somewhere.com)(PORT = 1521))

(CONNECT_DATA =

(SERVER = DEDICATED)

(SERVICE_NAME = test.somewhere.com)

)

)

but this doesn't

TEST =

(DESCRIPTION =

(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = test-cluster-scan.somewhere.com)(PORT = 1521))

(CONNECT_DATA =

(SERVER = DEDICATED)

(INSTANCE_NAME = TEST1)

)

)

This also works (instance_name is included)

TEST =

(DESCRIPTION =

(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = testracnode1-vip.somewhere.com)(PORT = 1521))

(CONNECT_DATA =

(SERVER = DEDICATED)

(INSTANCE_NAME = TEST1)

)

)

The scan listener doesn't like the instance_name value. Thanks for the help.

• 1. Re: EBS R12 on 11.2.03 RAC Scan Listener and INSTANCE_NAME
          user12273962

I think I found the issue. If you're using a local listener definition in the spfile, the local instance will not register properly with the scan listener. I removed the local listener parameter in the spfile and restarted the database and it registered properly with the scan listener. I can now connect to an individual instance using the instance_name definition of the individual nodes through the scan listener.

• 2. Re: EBS R12 on 11.2.03 RAC Scan Listener and INSTANCE_NAME
            Carlo den Otter

Hello,

Normally it should be possible to specify local_listener as per Note 823587.1 : "Using Oracle 11g Release 2 Real Application Clusters with Oracle E-Business Suite Release 12".

Regards, Carlo den Otter.

• 3. Re: EBS R12 on 11.2.03 RAC Scan Listener and INSTANCE_NAME
              user12273962

I agree, but it didn't seem to work using the scan listener. There is very little information in that article concerning the use of the scan listener. It details creating a listener on port 1522 and using the local listeners values. I've done this many times on 11i and now R12 with success. Never tried with the scan listener till now.

When I removed the spfile definition, the database created the values dynamically and registered the proper services with the scan listener. It would not do this with the values set in the spfile. The dynamic values are the same as I had in the spfile. It just wouldn't register with scan.