This discussion is archived
1 2 3 Previous Next 31 Replies Latest reply: Aug 5, 2013 7:41 PM by fac586 Go to original post RSS
  • 15. Re: New Forum Interface
    PhHein Guru Moderator
    Currently Being Moderated

Mod: Moved from apex.

• 16. Re: New Forum Interface
    MannyRod Newbie

Nicolette,

I actually thought i was still in that forum.   I started out searching specifically in that forum by typing FAQ in the restrict (which brought back alist including (community feedback and hotspot FAQ but nothing i wanted) and picked community feedback.   It must have branched off into APEX forums, which is another similar problem. 

As for using Restrict, it's not my cup of tea to do things.   If you type Application express you get 2 of them, i now see you have to hit the 2nd one.  Not sure what the 1st hit brings back.  If you type APEX, the way it's known, nothing comes back.   This is not intuitive and anytime any of its customers have a thread like this (and there are many), it's time to acknowledge the frustration with improvements.  There is no help, no videos, just an FAQ with limited answers.  I have lost productivity because of the forum change and I doubt i'm alone, so please understand my brevity with the matter. 

Either way, I'm glad it was moved and hope some resolve comes for those who come afterwards.

• 17. Re: New Forum Interface
    BluShadow Guru Moderator

MannyRod wrote:

As for using Restrict, it's not my cup of tea to do things.   If you type Application express you get 2 of them, i now see you have to hit the 2nd one.  Not sure what the 1st hit brings back.

The 2 results are because there is a Korean version of the forum and an English version of the forum.  If you look at the URL's in your browser status bar (assuming you're showing the status bar) you can see the difference.

If you type APEX, the way it's known, nothing comes back.   This is not intuitive and anytime any of its customers have a thread like this (and there are many), it's time to acknowledge the frustration with improvements.

There are many things that are known by their acronyms/abbreviations but I imagine it would be nigh on impossible for Oracle to supply all of them to all the forums across the site.  Application Express has always been known as the "Application Express" forum even on the old forums (ever since it changed from HTMLDB many years ago), so it's nothing to do with the forum upgrade and is no more difficult to find now than it was before (in fact it's easier to find "spaces" on the new forum software than trawling down the list as we used to have to do on the old forums.

There is no help, no videos, just an FAQ with limited answers.  I have lost productivity because of the forum change and I doubt i'm alone, so please understand my brevity with the matter.

The FAQ is a wiki and can be edited by anyone who wishes to improve it.

The Jive software website also provide manuals/guidance and tutorials for using the forum software.

If you're relying on the forums for your productivity, then there's something wrong in your business.  You need to speak to your manager and ask to be sent on training courses if you feel you cannot get your job done without external assistance.  The forums are great for looking up things or seeking help with something that you really cannot find a solution to after trying all possibilities, but to rely on it for the productivity of your business just seems completely wrong.

As for searching on the forums, this has greatly improved.  Just the fact it can search and give good results is a vast improvement.  Searching particular spaces can seem tricky but it's perfectly possible, and is more easily done from within the space you want to search, as when you type your search criteria in the search box at the top, a popup appears allowing you to show "ALL" results or restricting it to the space you're in.

As for why these are now called spaces rather than forums, that's because discussions/questions can float about more easily in them rather than being tied to any particular one.  Just mentioning another space within a discussion causes that discussion to appear in the other space as well, so can attract the attention of people from that space into the discussion too, a bit like having a cross forum discussion without having to post the same question in multiple places.  It's more flexible, but admittedly does take a little getting used to if you're going to use that feature.

• 18. Re: New Forum Interface
    rukbat Guru Moderator

BluShadow wrote:

The 2 results are because there is a Korean version of the forum and an English version of the forum.  If you look at the URL's in your browser status bar (assuming you're showing the status bar) you can see the difference.

There is also a Chinese version of the forum site and a Japanese version of the forum web site.

... for all I know, there may even be other non-APAC language versions as well.

• 19. Re: New Forum Interface
    Varun-Oracle Explorer

Developer

Check this..

• 20. Re: New Forum Interface
    rukbat Guru Moderator

Thanks,

It makes sense to have iterations o fhe forums for non-Western alphabet languages.

• 21. Re: New Forum Interface
    BluShadow Guru Moderator

rukbat wrote:

There is also a Chinese version of the forum site and a Japanese version of the forum web site.

... for all I know, there may even be other non-APAC language versions as well.

Yes, I'm aware.  In the context of the Application Express space and the "2 results" issue being raised it was the Korean and English versions showing. 

• 22. Re: New Forum Interface
    Dude! Guru

I would not mind to remove some obsolete, e.g. watches, and add some text about following and tracking, but I do not see any option how to edit the page. Do you have more details how to edit the FAQ?

• 23. Re: New Forum Interface
    BluShadow Guru Moderator

Dude wrote:

I would not mind to remove some obsolete, e.g. watches, and add some text about following and tracking, but I do not see any option how to edit the page. Do you have more details how to edit the FAQ?

I was of the understanding that as it's a Wiki, you just go to the FAQ, log in using the link at the top (not sure why it doesn't consider us already logged in) and then you can edit the page.  However, even though I can log in it seems I can't actually edit it... which is different from how it used to be on the old forums.  As you can tell, I don't go there much...   and didn't realize it had been locked down.

• 24. Re: New Forum Interface
    MannyRod Newbie

I'm starting to get the sense of what it's like being on the other end of presumptive IT guy.   .

BluShadow,

Don't you think that if IT workers , and I've talked to at least 20 colleagues, with years of collective IT development, DBA, and project management experience, feel as lost as i am,  than perhaps there is justified concern?  There were several colleagues who were supposed to move towards Oracle tech and have raised enough concern to their managers about using this support (which was recommended for Certain modules like Apex).  So much so, that they have chosen tech by other companies now.   So while it's great that you're showing me here all the ways to use this forum, and I do appreciate it,  i'm not about to present a white paper on it.

My suggestion is for oracle to improve the FAQ rather than assume the public will fix it for them via Wiki.  I'm sure there are many more like yourself that know this product inside and out, yet nobody is updating it with what it needs.  It's their product, they should update the FAQ.

• 25. Re: New Forum Interface
    BluShadow Guru Moderator

BluShadow,

Don't you think that if IT workers , and I've talked to at least 20 colleagues, with years of collective IT development, DBA, and project management experience, feel as lost as i am,  than perhaps there is justified concern?

What about all the experience IT workers, DBA's etc. who took to using the new forums with little issue (performance issues and glitches accepted), even though they may not particularly like the changes much, they still haven't had much problem finding their way around and trying stuff out.  Is the concern of your colleagues justified... I don't know.

There were several colleagues who were supposed to move towards Oracle tech and have raised enough concern to their managers about using this support (which was recommended for Certain modules like Apex).  So much so, that they have chosen tech by other companies now.   So while it's great that you're showing me here all the ways to use this forum, and I do appreciate it,  i'm not about to present a white paper on it.

Therein appears an insight into a potential flaw in your company then.  Whilst the Oracle Community forums are a great place to share ideas or ask questions etc. with the millions of other users in the world, to actually consider it to be the support facility that would justify whether to use Oracle products or not, is a seriously flawed idea.  This is the free forums for the public.  Official Oracle support is provided elsewhere.  To base you technology decisions on such a thing is just wrong... you should be basing your decisions on the right tool for the right job, and if that means MS SQL Server is better suited then sure, use that, if Oracle technology suits it better, then sure use that... but certainly don't base the decision on how well a newly upgraded public support community (which is an improvement on the old forums there's no doubt about that) works when not everyone has even had a chance to get used to it.  Yes, the forums have got flaws, and yes there's room for improvement.... but don't forget that Yes, the admin are listening to people's concerns and looking to address those in the future.  Just because everything is not done immediately from the outset doesn't make it a bad forum.

My suggestion is for oracle to improve the FAQ rather than assume the public will fix it for them via Wiki.  I'm sure there are many more like yourself that know this product inside and out, yet nobody is updating it with what it needs.  It's their product, they should update the FAQ.

And maybe they will.  Perhaps if someone started a thread/discussion specifically for "What details need including in the FAQ" then admin will take notice and eventually get around to updating it.  In the meantime though I think their priorities are the things like the forum stability/performance etc.

• 26. Re: New Forum Interface
    MannyRod Newbie
    Therein appears an insight into a potential flaw in your company then.  Whilst the Oracle Community forums are a great place to share ideas or ask questions etc. with the millions of other users in the world, to actually consider it to be the support facility that would justify whether to use Oracle products or not, is a seriously flawed idea.  This is the free forums for the public.  Official Oracle support is provided elsewhere.  To base you technology decisions on such a thing is just wrong

Wow, glad you don't work for Oracle Sales.  You presumed that colleagues means co-worker, it does not.  You might be my colleague as is anyone in my profession. Many have ditched all Microsoft products because of windows alone.  You obviously take defending this new forum over the top even to the detriment of Oracle Sales.  This thread has now officially turned from a helpful thread to a flame war ending with you incorrectly attacking my company.  Goodbye.

• 27. Re: New Forum Interface
    BluShadow Guru Moderator

It wasn't intended to offend it was intended to highlight that your colleagues are basing their decisions on some odd factors if the community forum is such a big player.

And typically when someone talks of colleagues they are referring to work colleagues, so apologies for reading that as though you were referring to your own company... that's just the way it came across, especially as, although I have friends outside my company that work in IT, I'm certainly not keeping up to date with how they are discussing things with their managers in terms of making decisions to use Oracle or not.

I'm not defending the new forum, just stating facts.  The new forum is better than the old one, though yes it has issues, but you have to recognise that it's still early days for it, and there are things that need to be sorted, though editing the FAQ is not likely something I could see as being a high priority for admin.  Like I said, create a forum with your specific suggestions for admin to read.

• 28. Re: New Forum Interface
    jgarry Guru

Poking about on the apex sites like Oracle Application Express and https://apex.oracle.com/i/index.html it does appear that the forums are the support facility that one might make such a decision.  At one point, https://forums.oracle.com/forums/forum.jspa?forumID=137 even led me to some kind of welcome page or faq or something, but same link now just goes to apex space.  I can see where the MannyRod fellow is coming from, if it says something somewhere about actual Oracle support, that's not obvious.  I get the idea it would kind of miss the point in this brave new self-service web-enabled world.

I guess we all need to wear suits and be smarmy now, we're on display.

• 29. Re: New Forum Interface (Not happy!)
    MannyRod Newbie

Thanks jgarry.  I wasn't going to go into detail again or respond to the many points as it seemed Blu made up his mind.  There are other factors such as colleagues in Linked in , OTDUG and of course twitter of which i follow quite a few oracle experts.  But when someone makes up their mind, damn it all .   I try to help everywhere i can, but perhaps i barked up the wrong place since this place is marked territory.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points