This discussion is archived
1 2 Previous Next 21 Replies Latest reply: Aug 1, 2013 5:04 AM by BluShadow RSS

gained points are gone

AmolPalkar Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

Hi OTN Team,

I have been using OTN since 2009. Recently once again I started to answer question in the field of "oracle business intelligence enterprise edition".

I have gained 100 points by answering helpful answers. Suddenly when I have seen it today , it is "Newbie (25 points)"

Could you please allot me my points and let me also know why points were taken off ? Waiting for it revert so that I can be back to help the forum and gain the knowledge for me.

Thanks,

Amol

• 1. Re: gained points are gone
    PhHein Guru Moderator

Have you read the announcement about it? Have you read the various existing threads about it? If not, do so now.

• 2. Re: gained points are gone
    AmolPalkar Newbie

I do not have time to read varous existing threads. If you know the answer please let me know else let me wait for somebody to answer because I know the announcement which is there on the board regarding the points that 5 for helpful and 10 for correct answers. Is it the one you are talking about.

• 3. Re: gained points are gone
    AmolPalkar Newbie

Just now i read the post... but I am not happy ... buggy means what i helped the forum and some members marked as helpful. This is injustice.

• 4. Re: gained points are gone
    PhHein Guru Moderator

Man, I've lost 10000 point, so calm down and keep answering questions. These points are totally worthless anyway.

• 5. Re: gained points are gone
    Timo Hahn Oracle ACE

And after reading you can check for yourself. Open your profile and select 'Content' and on the page select 'Participated' and you see that you have 41 posts. Check them all and add up the correct and helpful answers (result 25).

Timo

• 6. Re: gained points are gone
    AmolPalkar Newbie

but sir i have also answered some in last year for which I have got around 100 , I understand PhHein that you lost 10,000 however you have been medelled as moderator and you are top rator over here. So no problem for you.

Anyways.... :-) I will keep on posting answers. leave it untill unless i get some knowledge out of it ..... it is ok.. for me.

• 7. Re: gained points are gone
    Mr Nitin-Oracle Explorer

Kindly understand that no one has lost points.

If folks had points (due to a bug) during migration, those have been corrected.

Amol:

You had 85 points before this and as per the correction it has come to 25 (3 helpful and 1 correct)

If you can point out to forums where you had correct/helpful answer, maybe the moderators/admins can help.

• 8. Re: gained points are gone
    PhHein Guru Moderator

Lost in the sense of 'the profile listed X points before the fix'.

Moderators cannot do anything, forums management are the guys to contact.

• 9. Re: gained points are gone
    Mr Nitin-Oracle Explorer

yes thats what I meant.

The points after migration were incorrect and that has been fixed.

• 10. Re: gained points are gone
    AmolPalkar Newbie

"Lost in the sense of "  what does this mean

• 11. Re: gained points are gone
    BluShadow Guru Moderator

AmolPalkar wrote:

but sir i have also answered some in last year for which I have got around 100 , I understand PhHein that you lost 10,000 however you have been medelled as moderator and you are top rator over here. So no problem for you.

Anyways.... :-) I will keep on posting answers. leave it untill unless i get some knowledge out of it ..... it is ok.. for me.

Ok, I've taken a look at your profile.

In total you've made 34 posts (contributing threads).  To gain 100 points you would have to have been awarded somewhere between 10 correct answer to 20 helpful answers.  That would mean around that somewhere between 1 in 3 and 1 in 2 of your posts were awarded points.  From experience the ration of point awarding for truly helpful members is roughly around 1 in 10 (and that's based on members who are mostly helping and not actually asking questions).  So based on 34 posts I would expect you to have somewhere in the region of 15-35 points.  Since the fix to the points has been applied you now show 25 points... so that would appear about correct.

You say you made some posts in the last year for which you got around 100 points...

According to your profile you only made one post/thread in 2012 and have made 5 posts/threads in 2013 (of which this discussion is itself one), so ignoring this one discussion you are saying that you got 100 points from 5 threads.  That would be impressive, as it would mean you were awarded, on average, 20 points per thread, so you must have been providing some very good answers and been awarded both correct and helpful points on those threads.  Somehow I don't believe that what you are saying is correct and I think you have perhaps misunderstood what points you really had.

Yes, the forum upgrade mistakenly awarded people with additional points (I myself was awarded over 15,000) but the recent fix has now removed those points again to put the scores back to what is correct (and yes I lost those 15,000+ points again).

Waiting for it revert so that I can be back to help the forum and gain the knowledge for me

Are you really saying that you need those points so that you can be helpful on the forums again or learn new knowledge? 

• 12. Re: gained points are gone
    gimbal2 Guru

AmolPalkar wrote:

"Lost in the sense of "  what does this mean

That your current point total is what you actually deserve to have. No injustice at all, you're just new and you need to earn those meaningless points.

Better worry about that which is actually worth worrying about, such as providing correct and understandable answers. One shouldn't have to feel a need to be rewarded for it, the actual helping of people should be reward enough. But that's up to you.

• 13. Re: gained points are gone
    AmolPalkar Newbie

you are very much right and i agree.

• 14. Re: gained points are gone
    EdStevens Guru

AmolPalkar wrote:

Just now i read the post... but I am not happy ... buggy means what i helped the forum and some members marked as helpful. This is injustice.

Injustice?

Get a life.

There is human trafficking going on in the world.

There are people starving due to the actions of corrupt governments.

There are people losing their jobs so that shareholders can make another 5-cents per share, or simply because they dared suggest something their boss didn't like.

There are people being killed because they have different religious beliefs than someone else, and their governments either look the other way or actively encourage it.

I could go on and on, but hopefully you get my drift.

And you think losing "points' on a forum is "injustice"?  I'll tell you what.  I've got over 8000 points.  Based on that the forum rates me as a "guru".  I'll give you the points and the rating.  You can take all of those points AND the rating to Starbucks, and for that plus $5.00 get a latte.

1 2 Previous Next

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points