This discussion is archived
4 Replies Latest reply: Jul 31, 2013 9:18 AM by fac586 RSS

search engine

vkava Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

Hi everyone, I am trying to add a search engine to my application but I do not know where to start,

I want that this search engine look for information inside my database and return the results in report form,

I am using APEX 3.2.

 

Thanks.

  • 1. Re: search engine
    InoL Guru
    Currently Being Moderated

    If you have a chance to upgrade to Apex 4.2, that would be a good start. Interactive reports are the best option for this.

     

    Otherwise, you have to create your own query to search in the tables and columns for the information you want.

    Since Oracle is a relational database, you have to know where to look (which tables and columns). It's not like Google where you can search in unstructured web pages. You can get close by using Oracle Text:

    www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/enterprise-edition/index-098492.html

  • 2. Re: search engine
    fac586 Guru
    Currently Being Moderated

    vkava wrote:

     

    Hi everyone, I am trying to add a search engine to my application but I do not know where to start,

    I want that this search engine look for information inside my database and return the results in report form,

    I am using APEX 3.2.

    As usual, the answer is "It depends".

     

    It's not so much a question of which APEX components to use, rather of designing an appropriate physical data model to support efficient searching of the required data domain(s). What kind of data needs to searched? Across how many tables/columns? Oracle Text is good for textual information, but not appropriate for numeric or geographical information, for example.

    InoL wrote:

     

    If you have a chance to upgrade to Apex 4.2, that would be a good start. Interactive reports are the best option for this.

    Interactive reports are available in APEX 3.2, but I disagree on them being the best option for a search engine (assuming a moderately large data source), particularly if Oracle Text is involved. The built-in IR search features don't hook up to Oracle Text, so if going down that route you'd just be disabling them (and a lot of others—charts and grouping on search engine results...?), and be left with a lot of IR code needlessly wrapping something you want to optimize for performance.

  • 3. Re: search engine
    vkava Newbie
    Currently Being Moderated

    the kind of data will be a varchar2, I made an index table so the infomation only will be query from one table, and I have discovered that my database does not support oracle text (11g).

  • 4. Re: search engine
    fac586 Guru
    Currently Being Moderated

    vkava wrote:

     

    the kind of data will be a varchar2, I made an index table so the infomation only will be query from one table, and I have discovered that my database does not support oracle text (11g).

    Why do you think your database does not support Oracle Text? Oracle Text is a no-cost option supplied with every edition of Oracle 11g, including Express Edition (XE).

     

    Note that you should direct Oracle Text questions to the Text forum.

Legend

  • Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points