This discussion is archived
5 Replies Latest reply: Jul 31, 2013 10:34 AM by Dude! RSS

Forum SSO issue?

EdStevens Guru
Currently Being Moderated

This is just a minor inconvenience, not really a problem.  And certainly not an "injustice"

Using Firefox, I have bookmarked the "Content" page of 11 different "spaces", all collected in a single bookmark folder.  When I open FF, I select to "open all tabs" in that folder, thus opening a FF tab for each forum space.

Next I go to the first tab (which is the "Database, General Questions" space)and logon.

when the screen refreshes after the logon, the tab is now at the same space as the last tab that FF opened when opening the folder.

In addition to that, I'm finding that as I work my way down the list, when I get to the third tab (SQL, PL/SQL) I get a pop-up telling me I've been logged off.  Then, when I log back on at that tab, I've been take to the same space as the previous tab in the list.

Again, not a big issue, but I'm curious if anyone has an explanation for this behavior.

• 1. Re: Forum SSO issue?
    BrianP Journeyer

No explanation to offer, since I don't use the forums that way, but this sounds just like how MOS works if I leave a few too many (i.e., 5) tabs open and walk away for a little while.

• 2. Re: Forum SSO issue?
    Dude! Guru

The new forum software allows you to follow forum spaces. Instead of bookmarking and opening each forum space to check for updates, you could follow each forum by pressing the follow button. You can then see all new or updated discussions for all the forums you are following in the Dashboard under Followed Activity.

• 3. Re: Forum SSO issue?
    BrianP Journeyer

Dude wrote:

The new forum software allows you to follow forum spaces. Instead of bookmarking and opening each forum space to check for updates, you could follow each forum by pressing the follow button. You can then see all new or updated discussions for all the forums you are following in the Dashboard under Followed Activity.

Which works until you get logged out, hit the dashboard, see posts from a dozen forums you don't follow and suddenly realize you've been logged out. 

• 4. Re: Forum SSO issue?
    Dude! Guru

A lot of things only work until you are logged out or the system crashes, which is probably not the way it was meant to be and needs to be fixed.

My suggestion is to use a different approach in terms of managing information. For instance, I use tracking for my most favorite forums where I do not want to miss any post, for which I get a read/unread counter under Communications, and I use following for other forums I just want to monitor. I find this more efficient than opening a dozen bookmarks, which consumes more resources. Anyway, people should work the way the wish, whatever suits.

• 5. Re: Forum SSO issue?
    EdStevens Guru

Dude wrote:

I'll give that approach another try and see how it works for me.

But as I said originally, the 'issue' I described is nothing more than a minor inconvenience.  I was more curious about the 'why it does that'  than 'how to fix it' ... curiosity about how the sso works in the first place, as that is still pretty much a black box to me.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points