This discussion is archived
4 Replies Latest reply: Aug 2, 2013 1:08 PM by rp0428 RSS

4.0EA1 - Package/Package Body Editing Bug

David V Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

This bug exists in SQL Developer 3, too, but I was hoping it would be fixed in 4.0 EA 1, but apparently not...

When you're editing a package or package body in SQL Developer 4, EA 1, every time you compile the package, on the very first line in the editor, the amount of spaces between the words "create or replace PACKAGE" and the actual name of the package, increases by the number of characters in the schema name, plus one (probably for a period, I would guess).

So, if you start off with the following text on our first line on your first save of the package body:

create or replace PACKAGE myschema.mypackage

After you save it the first time, SQL Developer removes the schema name and substitutes spaces for the schema name and period:

create or replace PACKAGE          mypackage

If you save it again (regardless of whether you changed anything else), SQL Developer will introduce nine more spaces before the package name like this:

create or replace PACKAGE                   mypackage

Save it again, and you'll get nine more spaces, like this:

create or replace PACKAGE                            mypackage

Etc., etc. So, basically, the package name moves more and more to the right on every save of the package - the number of new spaces seems to match the number of characters in the schema name plus 1. This behavior is rather annoying - can we get that fixed?

• 1. Re: 4.0EA1 - Package/Package Body Editing Bug
    Vadim Tropashko Pro

This is RDBMS bug; in SQLPLUS:

SQL> create or replace PACKAGE scott.Test_Package1 AS

PROCEDURE Test;

END Test_Package1;

/  2    3    4    5    6

Package created.

SQL> select text from user_source

where name = 'TEST_PACKAGE1';  2

TEXT

---------------------------------------------------------------------

PACKAGE       Test_Package1 AS

PROCEDURE Test;

END Test_Package1;

SQL>

This was version 12, where cumulative adding of spaces has been apparently been fixed.

• 2. Re: 4.0EA1 - Package/Package Body Editing Bug
    rp0428 Guru

VadimTropashko wrote:

This is RDBMS bug; in SQLPLUS:

Care to explain that?

There is no such RDBMS bug that I am aware of. Do you have an SOR number for it?

No extra 'spaces' are stored in the data dictionary that I can find.

• 3. Re: 4.0EA1 - Package/Package Body Editing Bug
    rp0428 Guru

When you're editing a package or package body in SQL Developer 4, EA 1, every time you compile the package, on the very first line in the editor, the amount of spaces between the words "create or replace PACKAGE" and the actual name of the package, increases by the number of characters in the schema name, plus one (probably for a period, I would guess).

So, if you start off with the following text on our first line on your first save of the package body:

create or replace PACKAGE myschema.mypackage

After you save it the first time, SQL Developer removes the schema name and substitutes spaces for the schema name and period:

Please post the EXACT steps and code that will reproduce the problem. I cannot reproduce it in sql developer 3.2.20.09

It is not clear what you mean when you say 'save'. Are you putting the code in a worksheet and then running the script?

• 4. Re: 4.0EA1 - Package/Package Body Editing Bug
    Vadim Tropashko Pro

Did you run the code I exhibited in SQLPLUS?

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points