8 Replies Latest reply: Oct 3, 2013 12:45 PM by EdStevens RSS

Oracle 12c Database Media Linux x86_64.. is it only for AMD x86_64?

Muhammad Ahmad

Hi,

Did any one download and successfully install oracle database 12c for linux x86_64 on "intel processor machine"? as i can see the downloadable media file names depicts that it is only for AMD processor machines.. see below snapshot:

Downloadlinuxamd64_12c_database_1of2.zip

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/enterprise-edition/downloads/database12c-linux-download-1959253.html

Thanks.

Ahmad

• 1. Re: Oracle 12c Database Media Linux x86_64.. is it only for AMD x86_64?
          Paul M.

Did any one download and successfully install oracle database 12c for linux x86_64 on "intel processor machine"? as i can see the downloadable media file names depicts that it is only for AMD processor machines.. see below snapshot:

linuxamd64_12c_database_1of2.zip

Yes, I did install it on OEL 5.9, with no problems at all.

• 2. Re: Oracle 12c Database Media Linux x86_64.. is it only for AMD x86_64?
            Muhammad Ahmad

Thanks PaulM,

was that intel processor machine ?

• 3. Re: Oracle 12c Database Media Linux x86_64.. is it only for AMD x86_64?
              Paul M.

was that intel processor machine ?

Yes.

• 4. Re: Oracle 12c Database Media Linux x86_64.. is it only for AMD x86_64?
                EdStevens

MuhammadAhmad wrote:

Hi,

linuxamd64_12c_database_1of2.zip

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/enterprise-edition/downloads/database12c-linux-download-1959253.html

Thanks.

Ahmad

I think you are trying to read too much into that name.  Out of curiosity I googled 'amd64'.  I suggest you do so as well.  It seems that AMD was the first to come out with a 64-bit instruction set on the x-86 architecture.  Intel had to scramble to keep up.  I suspect that the use of AMD64 has started to become a generic name for x86-64.  If you check the Hardware Requirements in the Installation Guide, you'll see it does not concern itself with Intel vs. AMD.  To that level, it only cares about 32-bit vs. 64-bit.

• 5. Re: Oracle 12c Database Media Linux x86_64.. is it only for AMD x86_64?
                  Peter René Menges

Well, it actually does care about the OS/Linux - Flavour you are using.

Tried it on my Open Suse 12.2 with the result: No references for OS exists, causing me to set up a virtual box with oracle linux on it,

though this wasn't a major task due to the fact that their is a ova for that that you can simply import into the vbox and adding some additional hdd's

and setting memory limit high enough got me running, at least to this point.

I tried it with the most advanced topic directly installing a Flex - Cluster with ASM and Oracle Database 12c and still haven't finished,

everything down to the ground from response files, but I want to understand everything and every aspect of the enterprise architecture.

• 6. Re: Oracle 12c Database Media Linux x86_64.. is it only for AMD x86_64?
                    EdStevens

PeterRenéMenges wrote:

Well, it actually does care about the OS/Linux - Flavour you are using.

Well, of course it cares about the OS.  But that is not the chipset, which was the OP's concern.

Tried it on my Open Suse 12.2 with the result: No references for OS exists, causing me to set up a virtual box with oracle linux on it,

Checking the Linux Installation Guide for Oracle 11.2, Open Suse is not listed as a supported OS.  Suse Enterprise is listed.

I was rather surprised when I checked the same for 12.1 and found that they completely deferred that section to a link the certification matrix on My Oracle Support.  I'm not sure how someone just 'kicking the tires' under a development license would find out.

though this wasn't a major task due to the fact that their is a ova for that that you can simply import into the vbox and adding some additional hdd's

and setting memory limit high enough got me running, at least to this point.

I tried it with the most advanced topic directly installing a Flex - Cluster with ASM and Oracle Database 12c and still haven't finished,

everything down to the ground from response files, but I want to understand everything and every aspect of the enterprise architecture.

• 7. Re: Oracle 12c Database Media Linux x86_64.. is it only for AMD x86_64?
                      Peter René Menges

- Well, of course it cares about the OS.  But that is not the chipset, which was the OP's concern.

Yes, this was an additional information I added because the aim is installing the Oracle Database 12c and it's pretty frustrating when you download the files, find out your OS is not supported and that's why I added an alternative way (which was quite obvious of course).

I also so that Suse Enterprise is listed but Open Suse isn't so I gave it a try.

And I can't access the certification matrix neither. So, for evaluation purposes it leaves me running Oracle Linux 6.4. on Oracle Virtual Box,

but actually it is quite funny because it's my first time experience with that OS whilst being used to work with Open Suse, Fedora and Red Hat , which are pretty similar, and of course, the obvious, Debian. Also worked on Solaris OS on a Sparce III, but this is quite a while ago.

• 8. Re: Oracle 12c Database Media Linux x86_64.. is it only for AMD x86_64?
                        EdStevens

PeterRenéMenges wrote:

- Well, of course it cares about the OS.  But that is not the chipset, which was the OP's concern.

Yes, this was an additional information I added

Point taken, though that does border on thread hijacking.

because the aim is installing the Oracle Database 12c and it's pretty frustrating when you download the files, find out your OS is not supported

I'm not a bleeding-edge guy so haven't had reason to look at 12c yet.  Does the unzipped download have any docs that clarify the supported OS?  If so, I'd say all documentation that actually comes with the download should be looked over before proceeding with the installation.  But I'll side with you on the lack of specifics in the public online docs.  Prior to 12c this information was specifically included in the Installation Guide.  I think it's pretty lame of Oracle to hide that information from someone not having a support contract (required for access to MOS).

and that's why I added an alternative way (which was quite obvious of course).

I also so that Suse Enterprise is listed but Open Suse isn't so I gave it a try.

And I can't access the certification matrix neither. So, for evaluation purposes it leaves me running Oracle Linux 6.4. on Oracle Virtual Box,

I wouldn't consider that to be a "well, if I can't do it any other way"  (putting words in your mouth, I know, but that's what I sensed). 

I have a full-blown computer lab running under VBox on my Win7 Pro desktop.  I've created 5 virtual servers to mimic my live prod and test servers, as well as a couple of generic ones for general use.  One of them is slated to get OL 6 and Oracle 12c, but that is low priority.  With 8GB of real memory and defining my VM's with 2gb each, I can have any 3 of them running at one time, with communication going on between all of them. If I had more real memory I could have more VMs up at once, but 3 is all I need for my work. 

Many people even have RAC running under multiple VBox machines on their windows desktops.

but actually it is quite funny because it's my first time experience with that OS whilst being used to work with Open Suse, Fedora and Red Hat , which are pretty similar, and of course, the obvious, Debian. Also worked on Solaris OS on a Sparce III, but this is quite a while ago.

My first *nix was Solaris on Sparc.  That was 3 jobs and 8 years ago.  Last week I was trying to install Solaris x86 under VBox, but it got to taking more time than I could justify, seeing as I'm not responsible for any Solaris in real life.