12 Replies Latest reply: Aug 30, 2013 6:57 AM by rukbat RSS

Solaris 8 on netra T1 error - drive not ready

97cae292-7781-4bb2-bbf2-0a398489fbec

Hi I am hoping someone can help shed light on a problem we have encountered. I inherited a couple of very old netra t1 with solaris 8 on them.  We had a major power outage whcih resulted in an issue with this server coming backup.  On first looking at it i was able to get into the server via lom command prompt, i ran the power down command to gracefully shutdown and reboot but on starting backup the server is reporting 'drive not ready' and just hangs at this point.

apologies but i am a solaris novice, any help would be much appreciated. I am hoping this is something trivial....

thanks.

• 1. Re: Solaris 8 on netra T1 error - drive not ready
          rukbat

Moderator Action:

This thread has been moved from the Solaris on x86 forum space,

to the Sun Servers forum space, for closer topic alignment.

There were absolutely no Netra T1 with x86 architecture hardware back in the previous millennium that could run Solaris 8.   They were all SPARC beasts.

Thus that was the wrong forum space for such a post.

If you could provide the actual FULL model name or perhaps a better physical description of the computer system(s) such as size, shape,  type of drives, etc, then someone may be able to point you toward documentation.

Until there is more information from you, the old possible response is ...

... boot from your Solaris 8 or Solaris 9 installation CD, mount the boot drive and FSCK it until it passes all tests.

• 2. Re: Solaris 8 on netra T1 error - drive not ready

Apologies for the incorrect logging of my query. You are absolutely right it is sparc and a beast

The full model name is Netra T1 AC200 with raid 0+1 over 2 scsi disks

I have tried booting from solaris 8, 9, and 10 installation cd's but it fails with the following:-

This is the output using solaris 8

krtld: load_exec: fail to expand cpu/$CPU

krtld: error during initial load/link phase

panic - boot: exitto64 returned from client program

Program terminated

the errors are different when trying on 9 and 10.

I hope this clarifies.

Thanks again for taking time to look and hopefully point me in the right direction.

• 3. Re: Solaris 8 on netra T1 error - drive not ready
              rukbat

The Netra AC200 first shipped in March 2001 and went EOL in November 2002.

"krtld: load_exec: fail to expand cpu/$CPU"

That error is simply because your Solaris 8 CD is a release that is too old for that AC200 platform (not fully compatible with all the hardware components in the chassis).

If booting from Solaris 8 media, you must use a release that is newer than January 2001 unless you first boot from the OE disk media that shipped with the chassis in its original shipping crate.  The OE compact disk imparts extra compatibility patches to older Solaris 8 kernels [Oct '00 or Jan '01 releases] then wrote the patches to the end of the installation process.

Thus you can ignore that terror.

The system documentation is very thin for that box, not much more than an overview and physical hardware manual:

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19102-01/nt1.ac200.srvr/index.html

Whatever you observe from Solaris 9 or Solaris 10 boots will likely be more accurate as to what might be wrong.

• 4. Re: Solaris 8 on netra T1 error - drive not ready

hi i did manage to get solaris 10 to boot in single user mode and when i run format to check disks i get this:-

format

Searching for disks...WARNING: Device /pci@1f,0/pci@1/scsi@8/sd@0,0 failed to po

wer up.

WARNING: Device /pci@1f,0/pci@1/scsi@8/sd@0,0 failed to power up.

WARNING: Device /pci@1f,0/pci@1/scsi@8/sd@0,0 failed to power up.

WARNING: /pci@1f,0/pci@1/scsi@8/sd@0,0 (sd0):

WARNING: Device /pci@1f,0/pci@1/scsi@8/sd@1,0 failed to power up.

WARNING: /pci@1f,0/pci@1/scsi@8/sd@1,0 (sd1):

done

AVAILABLE DISK SELECTIONS:

0. c1t0d0 <drive not available>

/pci@1f,0/pci@1/scsi@8/sd@0,0

1. c1t1d0 <drive not available>

/pci@1f,0/pci@1/scsi@8/sd@1,0

Specify disk (enter its number):

i haven't taken this any further would appreciate any help on diagnoses before going further, one other thing i have another redundant netra t1 ac200 available for me to use if required...

thanks again for help.

Lou

• 5. Re: Solaris 8 on netra T1 error - drive not ready
                  rukbat

The power outage you mentioned in your opening post could have pushed a surge through the system and corrupted the filesystem(s) on your disks, rendering them unreadable (essentially the same as if they were empty).

Begin by re-seating the internal disks to make sure they have a good connection for data and power.  The SCSI drives plug into a connector that is part of the systemboard of the AC200.   Facing the front of that 1U chassis, from left to right, you have the optical drive then your boot drive #0 then your other disk drive #1.  

You can consider a temporary move of disk #0 to the other chassis, again boot from optical media and see if format gives you the same "failure".   Whatever you observe with that, you might get more information.

If you have MOS login credentials you can get more information from the online System Handbook resource that is available to customers.   I do not have MOS credentials so I cannot provide a link beyond https://support.oracle.com/handbook_private/index.html.

Now, let's see if others choose to jump in here and give more advice.

• 6. Re: Solaris 8 on netra T1 error - drive not ready
                    Reidod

Hello,

Check the disk status with #cfgadm -al. If any of the disks is in unconfigured state, configure it using #cfgadm -c configure Ap_ID

Regards,

Rei

• 7. Re: Solaris 8 on netra T1 error - drive not ready

Hi i ran the above commnd and here is an extract from the output:-

If i run the above command it will not erase any data will it?

c1::dsk/c1t0d0             disk     connectedconfigured   unknown
                      c1::dsk/c1t1d0             disk     connected

configured   unknown

• 8. Re: Solaris 8 on netra T1 error - drive not ready

I ran the following which produced the output:-

iostat -En

c1t0d0           Soft Errors: 0 Hard Errors: 12 Transport Errors: 0

Vendor: SEAGATE  Product: ST336605LSUN36G  Revision: 0238 Serial No:

Size: 0.00GB <0 bytes>

Media Error: 0 Device Not Ready: 12 No Device: 0 Recoverable: 0

Illegal Request: 0 Predictive Failure Analysis: 0

c1t1d0           Soft Errors: 0 Hard Errors: 12 Transport Errors: 0

c0t0d0           Soft Errors: 4 Hard Errors: 0 Transport Errors: 0

Vendor: TEAC     Product: CD-224E          Revision: 1.7A Serial No:

Size: 0.66GB <655974400 bytes>

Media Error: 0 Device Not Ready: 0 No Device: 0 Recoverable: 0

Illegal Request: 4 Predictive Failure Analysis: 0

So do i have to dettach the mirror and replace/rebuild this disk?

c1t0d0           Soft Errors: 0 Hard Errors: 12 Transport Errors: 0

c1t1d0           Soft Errors: 0 Hard Errors: 12 Transport Errors: 0

or will running fsck solve the issue?

Thanks for your help

• 9. Re: Solaris 8 on netra T1 error - drive not ready
                          rukbat

Let's summarize what that iostat report shows:

You have a couple of 36GB drives and an optical drive.

The optical drive isn't a part of your system's issue that prompted you to start this forum thread, so we'll ignore it.

The hard drives are showing no soft errors - good.   That suggests the problem is probably not rooted in a filesystem or OS files corrupted beyond repair.

Those drives are mirrored and showing 12 hard errors - a very low numerical total.  The hard errors are identical because they are mirrored - what one disk experiences, it informs to the other.

iostat's report includes information only since the last system cold reboot, so the low numbers may be significant or they may not necessarily be significant..

Hard errors suggest electrical-mechanical issues such as cabling or oxidized connector pins or some such.  Yes, they could also be  from bad disk sectors, but iostat won't be verbose enough to tell you that.

You found that iostat information after what is essentially a live boot from the optical drive.   If you can mount the filesystems sufficiently to get to your /var filesystem, try to examine the messages file (or even the messages.0, the messages.1 and the messages.2 files) and if you are successful getting to those log files you may be able to get a better idea of what's happening.   Your log files will be verbose enough to be able to narrow a root cause in a much better fashion.

As regarding a FSCK ?

I don't think you'll do any harm, but probably should think about doing that only after you break the mirror then attempt it on each individual drive rather than on the full mirrored filesystem.

Do you have support coverage on that box?

If you have more than one AC200, do you have support coverage on ANY of them?

If "yes", then open a support case on this matter.   Get proper suggestions instead of from some anonymous online user-to-user community forum.

• 10. Re: Solaris 8 on netra T1 error - drive not ready

Appreciate your advice/comments.  Sadly support coverage is not available to me at this time.  I will break the mirror and try running the fsck command on the disks and failing that possiby try retrieving the data off the disks, somehow...

Thanks again.

Louise

• 11. Re: Solaris 8 on netra T1 error - drive not ready

Just to update we suffered another power outage and returned to look at hte server to find different error messages appearing, this time the server was giving me the option to try and boot or go into single user mode, which i did and ran the metastat and got the following:-

# metastat

d50: Mirror

Submirror 0: d0

State: Okay

Pass: 1

Read option: roundrobin (default)

Write option: parallel (default)

Size: 43846353 blocks

d0: Submirror of d50

Stripe 0:

Device              Start Block  Dbase State        Hot Spare

Error for Command: load/start/stop         Error Level: Retryable

Requested Block: 0                         Error Block: 0

Vendor: SEAGATE                            Serial Number:

Sense Key: Not Ready

ASC: 0x4 (LUN not ready), ASCQ: 0x0, FRU: 0x2

c0t0d0s0                   0     No Okay

d51: Mirror

Submirror 0: d1

Size: 8389656 blocks

d1: Submirror of d51

Stripe 0:

c0t0d0s1                   0     No Okay

d53: Mirror

Submirror 0: d3

Size: 4194828 blocks

d3: Submirror of d53

Stripe 0:

c0t0d0s3                   0     No Okay

d54: Mirror

Submirror 0: d4

Size: 8340543 blocks

d4: Submirror of d54

Stripe 0:

c0t0d0s4                   0     No Okay

d55: Mirror

Submirror 0: d5

Size: 6292242 blocks

d5: Submirror of d55

Stripe 0:

c0t0d0s5                   0     No Okay

d10: Concat/Stripe

Stripe 0:

Device              Start Block  Dbase

c0t1d0s0                   0     No

d11: Concat/Stripe

Stripe 0:

c0t1d0s1                   0     No

d13: Concat/Stripe

Stripe 0:

c0t1d0s3                   0     No

d14: Concat/Stripe

Stripe 0:

c0t1d0s4                   0     No

d15: Concat/Stripe

Stripe 0:

c0t1d0s5                   0     No

• 12. Re: Solaris 8 on netra T1 error - drive not ready
                                rukbat

It appears that whatever issues you get with your disk drives, it is a result of inadequate or untrustworthy power sources at your location.

Fix the power.   Have your building owner fix the power.

Perhaps get a HUGE uninterruptible power supply to be inline with your system and configure it to do a graceful shutdown of your box.

Then, lastly, teach yourself the various steps on breaking mirrors, FSCK'ing disks, and healing those drives if they persist in having the occasional block or sector errors.  You're on Solaris 8, so you'll need to keep a working copy of your Installation CD's at hand for some of that maintenance.