0 Replies Latest reply: Aug 1, 2013 3:21 PM by Debbie_1004338a RSS

About Services and Interfaces

Debbie_1004338a

Not sure where to post this, but here goes...

Could someone please help me better understand the differences between a "Service" and an "Interface"?  (Platform neutral)

When someone says "Service", to me that means a mini Program/Function which...

- Takes in INPUTS

- Performs one or more PROCESSES

- Returns OUTPUTS

The "Service" is usually accessible to other Systems - as opposed to a "Function" which implies something internal to a System/Application.

You "call" a Service, and the Service performs some actions.

-------------

When someone says "Interface", to me that means a way to connect to something, whether that be a System, Program, or Function.

In Programming, you typically refer to an "Application Programming Interface" (API).

With Systems, I have typically heard the term "Interface" as in an "Interface Control Document" (ICD).

--------------

Now talking about these concepts together....

To me, an "Interface" is a static thing that takes INPUTS and returns OUTPUTS in a certain format.  Nothing more.

A "Service" is a dynamic thing that actually performs one or more activities.

When doing requirements and diagrams, wouldn't you want to show the SERVICES and the DATA that is passed between them, and *not* show INTERFACES which are really just a means to an end?

On my current project, I have inherited a bunch of requirements that are impossible to read, and it seems like the author did not understand the difference between a "Service" and an "Interface".

Hope my ramblings and questions above make some sense?!

Sincerely,

Debbie