2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 19, 2013 3:44 PM by user5068506

Jave ME Embedded support KEIL MCBSTM32F200 and Raspberry Pi Model B ONLY???

user5068506

I am a JEE developer and quite new to Java ME Embedded ( just started 12 hours ago), I am confused in following questions, please help, thanks!

1. Java ME Embedded 3.3 is support KEIL MCBSTM32F200 and Raspberry Pi Model B ONLY? Or any ARM Cortex M3/RTX and ARM 11/Linux architecture? Does if have supported embedded board/architecture list?

2. If the answer to #1 is no, does that mean that I the reference implementation KEIL MCBSTM32F200 can be used on any ARM Cortex M3/RTX architecture and Raspberry Pi Model B can be used on any ARM 11 architecture?

3. if the answer to #1 is no, how should i choose the embedded board for Jave ME Embedded for general purpose (give some recommendation is ok)?

4. If the answer to #1 is YES, that should be limit usage of Jave ME Embedded on KEIL MCBSTM32F200 and Raspberry Pi Model B; and it can't be used on other embedded device. Or I have to choose Java ME Embedded Client or Java SE Embedded ( this will take more resource, but I only have limitted resource)? Is my understand correct? Does Java ME Embedded has roadmap to support wide embedded device?

Thanks for your time!

Best regards

Michael

• 1. Re: Jave ME Embedded support KEIL MCBSTM32F200 and Raspberry Pi Model B ONLY???
          Terrencebarr-Oracle

Hi Michael,

Sorry for the slow reply. Some answers:

Our officially supported Cortex-M platform for Java ME Embedded 3.3 is the KEIL MCBSTM32F200, which is based on the STM32F207 chip. There is a very similar STMF32407 chip, which is used on KEIL MCBSTM32F400 and we've verified Java ME Embedded 3.3 works there as well. It is likely that Java ME Embedded runs on other platforms using the STM32F207 or 407 chips, but it is impossible for us to verify all these platforms. If you get a chance to try one of those we would love to hear about your experiences.

For Java ME Embedded on ARM11/Linux: RasPi Mod B is our officially supported platform. Unfortunately, the Linux support for some of the peripherals needed by Java ME Embedded (such as GPIO and I2C) is inconsistent - this is a function of the state of the Linux device drivers, not of Java ME Embedded. We are looking into providing wider support for ARM/Linux platforms in the future, which isn't difficult, but we just haven't gotten around to it.

Generally, when deciding on specific hardware for a particular use case it very much depends on the details. If it is a customized system based on the STM32F207 or 407 chips then the need for porting/customization of Java ME Embedded should be minimal. If it is a customized system based on ARM/Linux, please contact us as we are already looking into widening support for ARM/Linux. Finally, if you are targeting a system that is very different from the above, then you can work with Oracle or Oracle partners for an optimized port of Java ME Embedded to your platform.

Finally, we are planning to provide support for additional platforms in the near future - stay tuned for announcements.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have more questions.

Best,

Terrence Barr

Product Manager, Oracle

• 2. Re: Jave ME Embedded support KEIL MCBSTM32F200 and Raspberry Pi Model B ONLY???
            user5068506

Hi Terrence,

Thanks for your reply! It is clear now.

Best regards

Michael