This discussion is archived
1 2 3 4 5 Previous Next 64 Replies Latest reply: Aug 8, 2013 3:02 AM by BluShadow Go to original post RSS
  • 60. Re: the points! where are they?
    Marwim Expert
    Currently Being Moderated

As Billy correctly said, a newbie who joins and shows their worth by making good contributions will soon be recognised as such,

But only when she/he changes the handle to something more recogizeable than 8f973842-815b-4d8c-833d-f2a3dd51e604 :-)

• 61. Re: the points! where are they?
    Dude! Guru

I noticed that LT.ora mentioned "all of us", but I think if they had said "was intended to inspire all of us", then perhaps it wasn't even so far fetched. However, I think there is no reason LT.ora needs to be ashamed to believe that. There is enough literature available that even underlines such concepts. I guess what tipped me off is not what someone believes, but when such believe is forced on others by expert lobbying and discriminating manner towards newcomers.

• 62. Re: the points! where are they?
    BillyVerreynne Oracle ACE

Dude wrote:

Something that worked good in the past does not necessarily work well in the future. Times have changed, for instance, people do not use Windows NT and MSDOS anymore.

A poor and irrelevant analogy IMO.

You are obviously proclaiming a very idealistic view of the world and it seems to me you are promoting yourself by disregarding and belittling those who may be driven by basic, instinctual drives, such as ego.

Idealistic because I support equality? Because I do not believe in treating postings and contributions of a newbie any differently as a newbie lacks forum points and guru status?

Nevertheless the ACE badge, which was giving to you without even asking for it, if I remember correctly, and the use of a real user ID, to me are signs of ego. It just does not look good to drink wine and preach water.

I also did not ask for the Ace badge on this forum. Someone else informed forum staff that I was awarded an Ace, and the badge was added. I do not use it on my business cards. I do not use it as an e-mail signature. Heck, I have not even mentioned that I am an Oracle Ace to anyone in the office. As I do not believe titles and awards make the man. But by the same token, I'm not going to be apologetic because I have an Ace award either. Or for using my real name online for the last 20+ years, as I also believe that one needs to be be responsible for one's actions and opinions and statements.

Left aside that the point system has obviously many uses, I do not understand what bothers so much about anyone who may use the point system to spoil their own ego. How much arrogance and inflated self-esteem is there to say that forum newcomers are unable to judge correct or helpful posts and that they are only here to post BS to gather points? Living and let live. Are you afraid that someone with less posts but more points might steal some of your limelight?

And that is EXACTLY the problem. What limelight? Where? I do not see any limelight here. Which raise some serious concerns in my mind when some others do think there is limelight to claim.

I think your example about the cover of a book does not apply and rather belongs to the circumstance of something or someone being misunderstood based on appearance. How about changing from cover to author? What makes a best selling author? It's just how people are.

Even the best selling authors are trapped by labels and genre, finding it difficult to have their works judged by merit alone. Which is why best selling authors like Steven King, for example, wrote SciFi under a pseudonym. And most recently, J.K Rowling, writing crime fiction, using  a pseudonym.

Do not judge a book by its cover. Or by its author. It should be judged on contents alone. Should not be hard to grasp. Unless ego gets in the way...

• 63. Re: the points! where are they?
    Mr Nitin-Oracle Explorer

Hi

While I do not intend to interject on the conversation, the real issue is:

- Points are there in the forum for use (depends on the people and how they perceive the usage).

- Due to a bug, points got messed up. So user A had 60 points and got 100 after migration.

- Now with the fix the points is back to 60

So no points were lost.

Its just that probably people don't remember their points and may have got confused with the points after migration.

Thanks

Nitin

• 64. Re: the points! where are they?
    BluShadow Guru Moderator

nlachwan wrote:

Hi

While I do not intend to interject on the conversation, the real issue is:

- Points are there in the forum for use (depends on the people and how they perceive the usage).

- Due to a bug, points got messed up. So user A had 60 points and got 100 after migration.

- Now with the fix the points is back to 60

So no points were lost.

Its just that probably people don't remember their points and may have got confused with the points after migration.

Thanks

Nitin

Exactly right.

the fact the forum doesn't make it easy to know where you've been awarded correct/helpful points means that people will have seen how many points they had (if they were bothered to notice) before the bug fix and believed them to have been justifiably awarded to them, so when the points went down, they felt they had had points removed.  The fact is that, as you say, they shouldn't have had those points in the first place.

1 2 3 4 5 Previous Next