9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 8, 2013 7:34 AM by Pavel Safrata-Oracle

Crash outside the Java Virtual Machine when drag and dropping

Hi if I try to drag and drop a file in an folder of my choise, the programm crashes.
      But Drag and Drop is executed correctly, which means the file is created and moved to the right posiotion. Even if I use an existing file (then i don't create a new file), the file is correctly moved with content.
      What am I doing wrong?

Here is the code:

void setupGestureSource(final Text source) {
      source.setOnDragDetected(new EventHandler<MouseEvent>() {
      @Override
      public void handle(MouseEvent event) {
      List<File> list= new ArrayList<File>();
      Dragboard db = source.startDragAndDrop(TransferMode.ANY);
      File tmpFile = new File("test.txt");
      try {
      tmpFile.createNewFile();
      } catch (IOException e) {
      // TODO Auto-generated catch block
      e.printStackTrace();
      }
      list.add(tmpFile);
      ClipboardContent content = new ClipboardContent();
      content.putFiles(list);
      db.setContent(content);
      event.consume();
      }
      });
      }

Here is the exception:

java.lang.NullPointerException
      at com.sun.javafx.tk.quantum.QuantumToolkit$14.actionPerformed(QuantumToolkit.java:1154)
      at com.sun.glass.ui.Clipboard.actionPerformed(Clipboard.java:139)
      at com.sun.glass.ui.win.WinDnDClipboard.push(Native Method)
      at com.sun.glass.ui.win.WinSystemClipboard.pushToSystem(WinSystemClipboard.java:213)
      at com.sun.glass.ui.SystemClipboard.flush(SystemClipboard.java:28)
      at com.sun.glass.ui.ClipboardAssistance.flush(ClipboardAssistance.java:34)
      at com.sun.javafx.tk.quantum.QuantumClipboard.flush(QuantumClipboard.java:197)
      at com.sun.javafx.tk.quantum.QuantumToolkit.startDrag(QuantumToolkit.java:1195)
      at javafx.scene.Scene$DnDGesture.dragDetectedProcessed(Scene.java:2652)
      at javafx.scene.Scene$DnDGesture.process(Scene.java:2713)
      at javafx.scene.Scene$DnDGesture.access$8700(Scene.java:2607)
      at javafx.scene.Scene$MouseHandler.process(Scene.java:3344)
      at javafx.scene.Scene$MouseHandler.process(Scene.java:3168)
      at javafx.scene.Scene$MouseHandler.access$1900(Scene.java:3123)
      at javafx.scene.Scene.impl_processMouseEvent(Scene.java:1563)
      at javafx.scene.Scene$ScenePeerListener.mouseEvent(Scene.java:2265)
      at com.sun.javafx.tk.quantum.GlassViewEventHandler$MouseEventNotification.run(GlassViewEventHandler.java:250)
      at com.sun.javafx.tk.quantum.GlassViewEventHandler$MouseEventNotification.run(GlassViewEventHandler.java:173)
      at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)#
      # A fatal error has been detected by the Java Runtime Environment:
      #
      # EXCEPTION_UNCAUGHT_CXX_EXCEPTION (0xe06d7363) at pc=0x74efc41f, pid=6592, tid=6596
      #
      # JRE version: 7.0_17-b02
      # Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (23.7-b01 mixed mode, sharing windows-x86 )
      # Problematic frame:
      # C [KERNELBASE.dll+0xc41f]
      at

com.sun.javafx.tk.quantum.GlassViewEventHandler.handleMouseEvent(GlassViewEventHandler.java:292)
      at com.sun.glass.ui.View.handleMouseEvent(View.java:528)
      at com.sun.glass.ui.View.notifyMouse(View.java:922)
      at com.sun.glass.ui.win.WinApplication._runLoop(Native Method)
      at com.sun.glass.ui.win.WinApplication.access$100(WinApplication.java:29)
      at com.sun.glass.ui.win.WinApplication$3$1.run(WinApplication.java:73)
      at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:722)
      Exception in thread "JavaFX Application Thread" Error: 80de0001 in checkJavaException(env) RaiseException+0x58
      #
      # Failed to write core dump. Minidumps are not enabled by default on client versions of Windows
      #
      # An error report file with more information is saved as:
      # C:\Users\Apfelmaennchen\workspace\asd\hs_err_pid6592.log
      #
      # If you would like to submit a bug report, please visit:
      # http://bugreport.sun.com/bugreport/crash.jsp
      # The crash happened outside the Java Virtual Machine in native code.
      # See problematic frame for where to report the bug.
      #

Edited by: 1001074 on 18.04.2013 22:37
        • 1. Re: Crash outside the Java Virtual Machine when drag and dropping
          Artem Ananiev-Oracle
          Regardless of any exceptions being or not being thrown, JVM shouldn't crash. Please, file a new bug into JavaFX JIRA: https://javafx-jira.kenai.com. The test code and steps to reproduce will be appreciated by JavaFX developers :)
          • 2. Re: Crash outside the Java Virtual Machine when drag and dropping
            bvm

For what it's worth, I have also seen this JVM exception during a drag & drop operation.  In both cases, there was a "normal" Java exception with a nice backtrace preceding it. Both times happened at the conclusion of the operation.  The two cases:

1) This one was my bug.  I had a list of integers, and at the conclusion of the drag, I wanted to remove an integer from an arraylist.  I called list.remove(n), rather than list.remove(Integer.valueof(n)), resulting in the wrong overload being selected.  Java threw an

IndexOutOfBoundsException from java.util.ArrayList.rangeCheck before the crash.

2) For some reason, Winamp will pretend to accept a drag from anything at all, as best I can tell.  For my drag, I use a custom DataFormat, so most apps don't respond to it.  But Winamp does.  So if I drag my item out of the JavaFX app onto Winamp, I get an IllegalArgumentException in PrismEventUtils.convertToTransferMode: "ambiguous drop action: 3" before the crash.

Those crashes are quite repeatable, but I wouldn't expect to be able to make a simple program to demo them.  Did you ever report your crash?

(I'm running jre 7.0_25-b17 with HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (23.25-b01 mixed mode windows-amd64 compressed oops).)

• 3. Re: Crash outside the Java Virtual Machine when drag and dropping
              bouye-JavaNet

I get the same on 2.2.25 when doing DnD to the desktop (Windows 7 64bit):

Code

// DnD support (when this map pane is the source of the DnD).
                      setOnDragDetected(new EventHandler<MouseEvent>() {
                          @Override
                          public void handle(MouseEvent mouseEvent) {
                              Dragboard dragBoard = startDragAndDrop(TransferMode.COPY);
                              ClipboardContent content = new ClipboardContent();
                              // Create a snapshot.
                              WritableImage image = snapshot(null, null);
                              content.putImage(image);
                              // Save as a temporary file on the disk.
                              try {
                                  BufferedImage swingImage = SwingFXUtils.fromFXImage(image, null);
                                  File tmpFile = File.createTempFile("SeapodymView_" + System.currentTimeMillis(), ".png"); // NOI18N.
                                  ImageIO.write(swingImage, "png", tmpFile); // NOI18N.
                                  content.putFiles(Arrays.asList(tmpFile));
                              } catch (Throwable t) {
                                  SeapodymViewLogger.LOGGER.log(Level.WARNING, null, t);
                              }
                              dragBoard.setContent(content);
                              mouseEvent.consume();
                          }
                      });
                      setOnDragDone(new EventHandler<DragEvent>() {
                          @Override
                          public void handle(DragEvent dragEvent) {
                              dragEvent.consume();
                          }
                      });

Exception

java.lang.NullPointerException
                  at com.sun.javafx.tk.quantum.QuantumToolkit$14.actionPerformed(QuantumToolkit.java:1154)
                  at com.sun.glass.ui.win.WinSystemClipboard.pushToSystem(WinSystemClipboard.java:213)
                  at com.sun.javafx.tk.quantum.GlassViewEventHandler$MouseEventNotification.run(GlassViewEventHandler.java:250)
                  at com.sun.javafx.tk.quantum.GlassViewEventHandler$MouseEventNotification.run(GlassViewEventHandler.java:173)
                  at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
                  at com.sun.javafx.tk.quantum.GlassViewEventHandler.handleMouseEvent(GlassViewEventHandler.java:292)
                  at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:724)
              Exception in thread "JavaFX Application Thread" E r r o r : 8 0 d e 0 0 0 1   i n   c h e c k J a v a E x c e p t i o n ( e n v )
               Java Result: 1

Crash

#
              #
              #  EXCEPTION_UNCAUGHT_CXX_EXCEPTION (0xe06d7363) at pc=0x000007fefd479e5d, pid=5640, tid=2596
              #
              # JRE version: 7.0_25-b16
              # Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (23.25-b01 mixed mode windows-amd64 compressed oops)
              # Problematic frame:
              # C  [KERNELBASE.dll+0x9e5d]  RaiseException+0x3d
              #
              # Failed to write core dump. Minidumps are not enabled by default on client versions of Windows
              #
              # An error report file with more information is saved as:
              # C:\Fabriceb\Devel\Java\Current\SeapodymView2\SeapodymView-j\hs_err_pid5640.log
              #
              # If you would like to submit a bug report, please visit:
              #   http://bugreport.sun.com/bugreport/crash.jsp
              # The crash happened outside the Java Virtual Machine in native code.
              # See problematic frame for where to report the bug.
              #

• 4. Re: Crash outside the Java Virtual Machine when drag and dropping
                bvm

Hmm, it's almost as if the JVM can't handle an exception being thrown while it's doing a drag & drop...

• 5. Re: Crash outside the Java Virtual Machine when drag and dropping
                  Pavel Safrata-Oracle

It seemed so to me from this discussion as well, so I tried to throw an exception from user code (DragDrop and DragDone handlers) and didn't reproduce the crash (I tried 7u25 and latest 8). I also tried to replicate the IndexOutOfBoundsException, no crash here as well.

• 6. Re: Crash outside the Java Virtual Machine when drag and dropping
                    bouye-JavaNet

Remember that:

1. It's a full JVM crash.
                    2. It does occur when drop gesture is done outside of the VM. So it does not come (directly) from the code that initiates the DnD in onDragDetected (because this code has already been executed successfully at that point).
                    3. Yet somehow an NPE is thrown in the JavaFX application thread.
                    4. Also as mentioned by the OP, the DnD gets executed as expected (in my case tmp file is created and them a file -same* or a copy?- is moved to the desktop), it just happens that the JVM crashes after the DnD is complete.

*Actually, it's may be the cause of the problem:

• When DnD to a software that accepts image files (ie: Paint.Net will only accept the drag if the image is provided as a file flavor, on the other hand MS Word will accept the drag as an image flavor), the software opens the tmp file straight from the tmp folder -> no crash
                    • When DnD to the desktop (or any other folder), it looks like Windows physically moves the tmp file to the target folder -> crash because of an uncaught NPE in JavaFX Thread.

It looks like JavaFX tries to do something on the file (cleanup of the ClipboardContent after DnD completed?).

• 7. Re: Crash outside the Java Virtual Machine when drag and dropping
                      bvm

Well, the odd Winamp drop case I can reproduce very easily -- I took without modification Oracle's Drag & Drop tutorial example and instead of dragging from the source to the target, I dragged from the source to my Winamp window.  The jvm crashed, and this is what appeared on the console:

onDragDetected
                      J_a_v_a_ _M_e_s_s_s_g_e_:_P_r_i_s_m_E_v_e_n_t_U_t_i_l_s_._c_o_n_v_e_r_t_T_o_T_r_a_n_s_f_e_r_M_o_d_e_:_ _b_a_d_ _d_r_o_p_ _a_c_t_i_o_n_:_ _4_0_0_0_0_0_0_3_
                      _java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: PrismEventUtils.convertToTransferMode: bad drop action: 40000003
                        at com.sun.javafx.tk.quantum.PrismEventUtils.convertToTransferMode(PrismEventUtils.java:195)
                        at com.sun.javafx.tk.quantum.PrismEventUtils.glassDragEventToFX(PrismEventUtils.java:147)
                        at com.sun.javafx.tk.quantum.PrismEventUtils.glassDragSourceEventToFX(PrismEventUtils.java:167)
                        at com.sun.javafx.tk.quantum.QuantumToolkit.convertDragSourceEventToFX(QuantumToolkit.java:1141)
                        at javafx.scene.Scene$DragSourceListener.dragDropEnd(Scene.java:2975)
                        at com.sun.javafx.tk.quantum.QuantumToolkit$14$1.run(QuantumToolkit.java:1161)
                        at com.sun.javafx.tk.quantum.QuantumToolkit$14$1.run(QuantumToolkit.java:1154)
                        at com.sun.javafx.tk.quantum.GlassViewEventHandler.handleMouseEvent(GlassViewEventHandler.java:292)
                      Exception in thread "JavaFX Application Thread" E_r_r_o_r_:_8_0_d_e_0_0_0_1_ _i_n_ _c_h_e_c_k_J_a_v_a_E_x_c_e_p_t_i_o_n_(_e_n_v_)_
                      _#
                      #
                      #  EXCEPTION_UNCAUGHT_CXX_EXCEPTION (0xe06d7363) at pc=0x000007fefd669e5d, pid=18020, tid=15212
                      #
                      # JRE version: 7.0_25-b17
                      # Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (23.25-b01 mixed mode windows-amd64 compressed oops)
                      # Problematic frame:
                      #

(It turns out it's remarkably hard to cut and paste that output, because it contains NUL characters!  I replaced them all with underscore.)

In the hs_err* file, the stack trace looks like it has a fair amount in common with the trace above:

Stack: [0x0000000014f40000,0x0000000015040000],  sp=0x000000001503d6a0,  free space=1013k
                      Native frames: (J=compiled Java code, j=interpreted, Vv=VM code, C=native code)
                      C  [KERNELBASE.dll+0x9e5d]  RaiseException+0x3d

Java frames: (J=compiled Java code, j=interpreted, Vv=VM code)
                      j  com.sun.glass.ui.win.WinDnDClipboard.push([Ljava/lang/Object;I)V+0
                      j  com.sun.glass.ui.win.WinSystemClipboard.pushToSystem(Ljava/util/HashMap;I)V+90
                      j  com.sun.glass.ui.SystemClipboard.flush(Lcom/sun/glass/ui/ClipboardAssistance;Ljava/util/HashMap;I)V+10
                      j  com.sun.glass.ui.ClipboardAssistance.flush()V+13
                      j  com.sun.javafx.tk.quantum.QuantumClipboard.flush()V+8
                      j  com.sun.javafx.tk.quantum.QuantumToolkit.startDrag(Ljava/lang/Object;Ljava/util/Set;Lcom/sun/javafx/tk/TKDragSourceListener;Ljavafx/scene/input/Dragboard;)V+102
                      j  javafx.scene.Scene$DnDGesture.dragDetectedProcessed()V+63
                      j  javafx.scene.Scene$DnDGesture.process(Ljavafx/scene/input/MouseEvent;Ljavafx/event/EventTarget;)Z+69
                      j  javafx.scene.Scene$DnDGesture.access$8700(Ljavafx/scene/Scene$DnDGesture;Ljavafx/scene/input/MouseEvent;Ljavafx/event/EventTarget;)Z+3
                      j  javafx.scene.Scene$MouseHandler.process(Ljavafx/scene/input/MouseEvent;Z)V+482
                      j  javafx.scene.Scene$MouseHandler.process(Ljavafx/scene/input/MouseEvent;)V+3
                      j  javafx.scene.Scene$MouseHandler.access$1900(Ljavafx/scene/Scene$MouseHandler;Ljavafx/scene/input/MouseEvent;)V+2
                      j  javafx.scene.Scene.impl_processMouseEvent(Ljavafx/scene/input/MouseEvent;)V+16
                      j  javafx.scene.Scene$ScenePeerListener.mouseEvent(Ljava/lang/Object;)V+11
                      j  com.sun.javafx.tk.quantum.GlassViewEventHandler$MouseEventNotification.run()Ljava/lang/Void;+329
                      j  com.sun.javafx.tk.quantum.GlassViewEventHandler$MouseEventNotification.run()Ljava/lang/Object;+1
                      . . . more frames as in previous stack trace . . .

Windows 7 x64, Java 7u25,  and Winamp 5.623 -- haven't tried updating that one in a while

• 8. Re: Crash outside the Java Virtual Machine when drag and dropping
                        bvm

And it happens just as easily staying within the app, too.  I took the same tutorial example and changed the drag done handler to provoked an exception:

source.setOnDragDone(new EventHandler <DragEvent>() {
                            public void handle(DragEvent event) {
                                /* the drag-and-drop gesture ended */
                                System.out.println("onDragDone");
                              throw new RuntimeException("Help me!");
                            }
                        })

And then when I run the tutorial and drag from source to target, I get

onDragDetected
                        onDragEntered
                        onDragOver
                        onDragOver
                        . . .
                        onDragOver
                        onDragDropped
                        onDragDone
                        J_a_v_a_ _M_e_s_s_s_g_e_:_H_e_l_p_ _m_e_!_
                        _java.lang.RuntimeException: Help me!
                          at test.HelloDragAndDrop$6.handle(Unknown Source)
                          at test.HelloDragAndDrop$6.handle(Unknown Source)
                          at com.sun.javafx.event.CompositeEventHandler.dispatchBubblingEvent(CompositeEventHandler.java:69)
                          at com.sun.javafx.event.EventHandlerManager.dispatchBubblingEvent(EventHandlerManager.java:217)
                          at com.sun.javafx.event.EventHandlerManager.dispatchBubblingEvent(EventHandlerManager.java:170)
                          at com.sun.javafx.event.CompositeEventDispatcher.dispatchBubblingEvent(CompositeEventDispatcher.java:38)
                          at com.sun.javafx.event.BasicEventDispatcher.dispatchEvent(BasicEventDispatcher.java:37)
                          at com.sun.javafx.event.EventDispatchChainImpl.dispatchEvent(EventDispatchChainImpl.java:92)
                          at com.sun.javafx.event.BasicEventDispatcher.dispatchEvent(BasicEventDispatcher.java:35)
                          at com.sun.javafx.event.EventDispatchChainImpl.dispatchEvent(EventDispatchChainImpl.java:92)
                          at com.sun.javafx.event.EventUtil.fireEventImpl(EventUtil.java:53)
                          at com.sun.javafx.event.EventUtil.fireEvent(EventUtil.java:33)
                          at javafx.event.Event.fireEvent(Event.java:171)
                          at javafx.scene.Scene$DnDGesture.processDropEnd(Scene.java:2754)
                          at javafx.scene.Scene$DnDGesture.access$7000(Scene.java:2607)
                          at javafx.scene.Scene$DragSourceListener.dragDropEnd(Scene.java:2975)
                          at com.sun.javafx.tk.quantum.QuantumToolkit$14$1.run(QuantumToolkit.java:1161)
                          at com.sun.javafx.tk.quantum.QuantumToolkit$14$1.run(QuantumToolkit.java:1154)
                        Exception in thread "JavaFX Application Thread" E_r_r_o_r_:_8_0_d_e_0_0_0_1_ _i_n_ _c_h_e_c_k_J_a_v_a_E_x_c_e_p_t_i_o_n_(_e_n_v_)_
                        _#
                        #
                        #  EXCEPTION_UNCAUGHT_CXX_EXCEPTION (0xe06d7363) at pc=0x000007fefd669e5d, pid=1676, tid=18884
                        #
                        # JRE version: 7.0_25-b17
                        # Problematic frame:
                        #

• 9. Re: Crash outside the Java Virtual Machine when drag and dropping
                          Pavel Safrata-Oracle

This last thing is exactly what I've done earlier without seeing the crash. It turns out that the problem is 64-bit-specific (earlier I used 32-bit Java on 64-bit Windows 7).

I filed RT-32206.