5 Replies Latest reply: Aug 8, 2013 1:21 PM by clcarter RSS

Oracle 10G XE download or patch number

Hi

I would like to download oracle 10g XE, did anyone know the patch number for it since it was removed from Oracle website already.

Regards

Howard

• 1. Re: Oracle 10G XE download or patch number
          clcarter

10g Extended support ended July 2013, so unless one finds a not official, forgotten (?) host some place, chances of getting a copy are getting quite slim.

• 2. Re: Oracle 10G XE download or patch number

Hi clcarter

I need setup 10g local to play but need to match server version  which is 10G R2.

I have found third party download site but I don't trust them other than oracle official since I am not sure what they have is latest version.

Regards

Howard Wang

• 3. Re: Oracle 10G XE download or patch number
              clcarter

>> I don't trust them

Right, sometimes it can be a big bad Internet out there. As far as I'm aware XE 10g R2 only had the 10.2.0.1 release, and its been quite a long time (maybe two laptops ago) that I had a 10g download file handy. Might have one on a thumb drive stored some where, maybe not.

Or someone else may have a 10g R2 setup.exe (?) file handy and run an MD5 or something similar, it would be a very good thing to ensure the download wasn't tampered with. It will take me quite a while to dig one up 

• 4. Re: Oracle 10G XE download or patch number
                clcarter

>> need to match server version  which is 10G R2

Maybe 11g XE could work, depends. The networking client is not much different, and nothing prevents an 11g client from connecting to and running queries on a remote instance. The caveat, at least on Windows, the 11g XE installer "does not work on x64" although folks have done a successful install, somehow.

With a bit of work, datafiles from a 10g instance can be copied to another database instance to get a tablespace from one instance and attach it to another- in the 11gR2 Database Administrator's Guide see Transporting Tablespaces Between Databases

The source tablespace has to be read only during the file copy, and a data pump job is needed to get tablespace metadata. Not quite as easy as a MS sql server database detach and reattach with a new database server, but it has been done many times.

Its an excellent way to get an instance upgraded or migrated quickly to a later version- create a new database instance at the target version, get the database users and other bits that aren't part of a the tablespace (stored procedures, functions, sequences, to name just a few) then just hook up the copied datafiles. Much quicker than waiting for an instance catalog upgrade to complete. Well, with a bit of practice, it can be

• 5. Re: Oracle 10G XE download or patch number
                  clcarter

Ahhh found a 10gR2 XE for Windows, MD5 checksum is: bc9d72a5434b9f831d6f68545a16f2fe

Filesize for OracleXEUniv.exe is 216,933,372 bytes.